+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

People returning back to Canada from India need to have medical exams ?

Zeny Mirani

Jun 16, 2021
Hello !

I am in India since last 7 Months (my dad got Covid-19 and was very serious, so came to take care of my parents) and I am planning to travel once flight ban ease out. I have heard that people traveling from India need to have medical again? But India had ban all upfront immigration medical checkup due to Covid-19 and in immergence case hospitals are asking for IME number. I don't have my IME number, please guide from where can I access IME number?
I have open work permit but I am not working at present.
Thank you for you help and support.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
If you've been in one of the designated countries (of which India is one) for 6 months or more, you'll need to undergo a new medical exams and be approved before you can enter. You will need to get an upfront medical once the hospitals start providing it again. You can attempt to secure an appointment using your UMI number from your previous medical, perhaps that will work? You would not be allowed to board your flight without an approval for medicals from IRCC.

Zeny Mirani

Jun 16, 2021
If you've been in one of the designated countries (of which India is one) for 6 months or more, you'll need to undergo a new medical exams and be approved before you can enter. You will need to get an upfront medical once the hospitals start providing it again. You can attempt to secure an appointment using your UMI number from your previous medical, perhaps that will work? You would not be allowed to board your flight without an approval for medicals from IRCC.
Thank you for the information.

divya_kp

Mar 4, 2021
Hai. I am in the same situation. I have a valid open work permit and visa. I've been stuck in india for almost 6 months. Landed on Feb 6. If say I can leave before August 6, do I still need to get medicals. But anyways how should I go about booking medical? Share if there is any link available where I can get the details. Any help would be appreciated.

Zeny Mirani

Jun 16, 2021
Hai. I am in the same situation. I have a valid open work permit and visa. I've been stuck in india for almost 6 months. Landed on Feb 6. If say I can leave before August 6, do I still need to get medicals. But anyways how should I go about booking medical? Share if there is any link available where I can get the details. Any help would be appreciated.
Hello,

I went for upfront medical check up, which got opened from 29th June I guess. I filled web form regarding the same issue but the reply from IRCC was very subjective, so I did my medical for a safer side. You just have to check which hospital or clinic is listed in the panel from your city. Just call them and say you need upfront medical check up for immigration purposes.
Do let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Zeny Mirani

divya_kp

Mar 4, 2021
Hello,

I went for upfront medical check up, which got opened from 29th June I guess. I filled web form regarding the same issue but the reply from IRCC was very subjective, so I did my medical for a safer side. You just have to check which hospital or clinic is listed in the panel from your city. Just call them and say you need upfront medical check up for immigration purposes.

Regards,
Zeny Mirani
Hello, will call and check with the hospital. Thanks a lot. Highly appreciate it. Btw how long does it take for the medicals to reflect in immigration system?

Zeny Mirani

Jun 16, 2021
Hello, will call and check with the hospital. Thanks a lot. Highly appreciate it. Btw how long does it take for the medicals to reflect in immigration system?
Hi,I’m not sure but someone told me it takes a month or more. I asked for a copy of medical which I’m gonna keep with me while traveling because mine is still not updated.

divya_kp

Mar 4, 2021
Hi,I’m not sure but someone told me it takes a month or more. I asked for a copy of medical which I’m gonna keep with me while traveling because mine is still not updated.
Okay...will do the same. When are you planning to travel as the ban is extended for another month now.

krishhh_42

Dec 2, 2021
Hello,

Regards,
Zeny Mirani
Hey! Does this apply for international students as well? I’m on a S-1 multiple entry student visa and have been India for the past 10 months. I’m returning to Canada on the 17th December. Do I need to undergo a medical examination as well? If so, where do I show the proof? Do I hand it to the immigration upon arrival or should I upload on the IRCC website? Let me know!! Thanks.

Zeny Mirani

Jun 16, 2021
Hey! Does this apply for international students as well? I’m on a S-1 multiple entry student visa and have been India for the past 10 months. I’m returning to Canada on the 17th December. Do I need to undergo a medical examination as well? If so, where do I show the proof? Do I hand it to the immigration upon arrival or should I upload on the IRCC website? Let me know!! Thanks.
Hello! You can check under your account through GCKEY. For students it show the status of your medical. My few friends who came in October 2021 had it because for them it showed expired under their medical statu. For me it was not like that as I was on work permit.

krishhh_42

Dec 2, 2021
Hello! You can check under your account through GCKEY. For students it show the status of your medical. My few friends who came in October 2021 had it because for them it showed expired under their medical statu. For me it was not like that as I was on work permit.
[/QUOTE

I booked an appointment for a safer side.. but its just a few days before my flight. Can we still travel with a proof or copy of the new medical examination even if the results are not reflected on IRCC? What was your situation during travel? What did they ask about the new medical examination.. did they allow you to enter Canada with just a copy/proof even if the results weren’t reflected on IRCC? Please help me out.