+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PCC Requirement for Citizenship

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
Hello members,

I am an Indian citizen but have lived in Japan for a long time before coming to Canada. As I apply for Canadian citizenship, I am confused about the PCC requirements that would apply to me.
Below are my concerns:
1. After getting my PR in April 2018 (soft-landing), I went back to Japan where I lived and continued to live there until Feb 2021 before moving permanently to Canada. So if I look at the last 4 years, I did spend over 183 days outside of Canada in one stretch from May 2020 to Feb 2021. As per my understanding, I would need a PCC from Japan but only if Japan is not considered as my country of origin. So will Japan be considered as my country of origin here considering I used to live/work there as a resident but was an Indian citizen?
2. If I do need a PCC from Japan, I see it will take me 2-3 months to get it. Can I proceed and submit the online application and submit the PCC later when asked by IRCC or do I need to get it first before submitting the online application?
3. Also, I see in the link (https://www.ca.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/police_certificate.html), Citizenship isn't listed as a standard reason to get PCC and I will need to "provide a copy of the laws or regulations which state the requirement for the police certificate". Does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for here or will the IRCC provide it to me later?

Thank you!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello members,

I am an Indian citizen but have lived in Japan for a long time before coming to Canada. As I apply for Canadian citizenship, I am confused about the PCC requirements that would apply to me.
Below are my concerns:
1. After getting my PR in April 2018 (soft-landing), I went back to Japan where I lived and continued to live there until Feb 2021 before moving permanently to Canada. So if I look at the last 4 years, I did spend over 183 days outside of Canada in one stretch from May 2020 to Feb 2021. As per my understanding, I would need a PCC from Japan but only if Japan is not considered as my country of origin. So will Japan be considered as my country of origin here considering I used to live/work there as a resident but was an Indian citizen?
2. If I do need a PCC from Japan, I see it will take me 2-3 months to get it. Can I proceed and submit the online application and submit the PCC later when asked by IRCC or do I need to get it first before submitting the online application?
3. Also, I see in the link (https://www.ca.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/police_certificate.html), Citizenship isn't listed as a standard reason to get PCC and I will need to "provide a copy of the laws or regulations which state the requirement for the police certificate". Does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for here or will the IRCC provide it to me later?

Thank you!
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/japan.html

IRCC will provide you a letter, so you can submit your application without PCC as Japan needs officially letter.

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/japan.html

IRCC will provide you a letter, so you can submit your application without PCC as Japan needs officially letter.
Thank you for replying. So should I answer "Yes" to "Will you provide a police certificate" and then not add any file? or upload a file that says " Need a letter from IRCC to request a PCC from Japan"?
Also, in the link you shared, it says "Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will send you a letter requesting a police certificate after you send your application for permanent residence. " I am concerned it says only permanent residence and doesn't mention citizenship but I assume it applies to citizenship as well.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thank you for replying. So should I answer "Yes" to "Will you provide a police certificate" and then not add any file? or upload a file that says " Need a letter from IRCC to request a PCC from Japan"?
Also, in the link you shared, it says "Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will send you a letter requesting a police certificate after you send your application for permanent residence. " I am concerned it says only permanent residence and doesn't mention citizenship but I assume it applies to citizenship as well.
You can add a letter and also include the above link for IRCC reference. The process is similar for PR and citizenship. You can check for Mexico and in that it states citizenship too. Some countries like Japan and Singapore they need to add citizenship too.

Reactions: AkkiV