+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PCC requested during citizenship interview. Anyone in similar situation before

balu0427

Dec 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,
Please advice
Scored 19/20 on test today and interview went well but the lady asked police clearance certificate from India (I have more than 183 days absence combined in the last 4 years of my submission date, somehow I missed it as assumed it is 183 in 1 calendar year)
Gave me 30 days to submit the certificate and not sure how long the process takes ...fingers crossed
My timelines Application reached: May 03,2017
AOR received: May 29th,2017
Inprocess : June 9th,2017
Test Invite : Nov 15th for Nov 29th
Mississauga office

Does any one face similar situation, if yes how long it took after submitting PCC? Does this delay the process?
Thank you in advance

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hello All,
Please advice
Scored 19/20 on test today and interview went well but the lady asked police clearance certificate from India (I have more than 183 days absence combined in the last 4 years of my submission date, somehow I missed it as assumed it is 183 in 1 calendar year)
Gave me 30 days to submit the certificate and not sure how long the process takes ...fingers crossed
Mississauga office

Does any one face similar situation, if yes how long it took after submitting PCC? Does this delay the process?
Thank you in advance
I do recall someone mentioning the same situation. Not sure how long it took. You may be able to google the thread and find out.
Maybe a couple weeks would be my guess because checking PCC should be very quick.

balu0427

Dec 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do recall someone mentioning the same situation. Not sure how long it took. You may be able to google the thread and find out.
Maybe a couple weeks would be my guess because checking PCC should be very quick.
@razorblade thank you, tried couldn't find so started a new thread

Dimma

Star Member
Oct 22, 2012
Hello All,
Please advice
Mississauga office

Thank you in advance
I heard from one of my friend that we can get India PCC on the same day from Indian consulate in Toronto.
BLS Canada option will take 3 -4 weeks.

hungvangg

Mar 12, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have to do it since spending 183 days in vietnam. However, I had to wait 4 months to obtain pcc :( the vn embassy does not offer that document.

balu0427

Dec 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can I go in person and submit the PCC document at Mississauga Glen Erin drive location? please reply

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Hello All,
Please advice
Mississauga office

Thank you in advance
My friend was told during interview to submit a police clearance from Turkey which she was able to do within one day. It did not slow down the overall processing time.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Perhaps it is worth revisiting an old, trite but useful adage: "hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

Well, the worst, an allegation of misrepresentation, would not be good but, fortunately, that is not likely.

In any event, while sometimes a police certificate can be obtained in a short period of time, many times, for many countries, that is not the case. The U.S. FBI clearance, for example, cannot be obtained so quickly.

For the OP, here, it is what it is and it will take as long as it takes. Has to be done.

For many others who have already sent off their application, who checked "no" in response to the item asking whether they had been in another country for 183 or more days in the preceding four years (this is item 10.b in the application forms in use since October 11, 2017), but whose total absences add up to six months or more, time to REVIEW your presence calculation and add up the total of all days spent in another country during the previous four years, the total number of days COMBINED for the full four years.

If that even approaches, let alone exceeds 183 days, it would be prudent to consider initiating the process to obtain a police certificate SOONER rather than later, definitely sooner than the interview. Especially anyone for whom the country involved is one which will not provide a police certificate quickly.

Common error but it is an overt misstatement of fact:

Many applicants, it appears, have checked "no" in response to the item asking if they were in another country a total of 183 or more days, within the preceding FOUR (4) years, even though they were in fact in another country a total of 183 or more days during that time period.

As noted, actually the worst case scenario is an allegation of misrepresentation. The instructions for this item are straight-forward and clear. There is no hint that the question is about consecutive days in another country, about actually living/residing in another country, or about the total number of days in a calendar year. The guide provides several examples which more than amply illustrate the error in these approaches.

So far, however, IRCC appears receptive to "I misunderstood the question" explanations for checking "no" contrary to the facts. So there is NO reason to apprehend much risk of this triggering a denial of the application, for making a misrepresentation, which would result in a five year prohibition.

But anyone who is helping someone else prepare an application, please impress upon them the risks. Read the questions carefully. Avoid interpreting the questions based on what you think IRCC wants. Especially avoid interpreting questions in a way that makes it easier (such as to avoid having to go through the hassle and time it might take to obtain a police certificate). Answer the question that is asked and follow the instructions. It is all too easy to make mistakes as it is. Minimize the risks, focus on getting the question right, focus on giving an accurate and honest answer to the question asked, and follow the instructions.

Save the anxiety and headaches for some other aspect of life, recognizing there are plenty of risks that cannot be avoided, and no shortage of problems and burdens to endure. No need to add to them by trying to take shortcuts in a citizenship application.

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Perhaps it is worth revisiting an old, trite but useful adage: "hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

Well, the worst, an allegation of misrepresentation, would not be good but, fortunately, that is not likely.

In any event, while sometimes a police certificate can be obtained in a short period of time, many times, for many countries, that is not the case. The U.S. FBI clearance, for example, cannot be obtained so quickly.

For the OP, here, it is what it is and it will take as long as it takes. Has to be done.

For many others who have already sent off their application, who checked "no" in response to the item asking whether they had been in another country for 183 or more days in the preceding four years (this is item 10.b in the application forms in use since October 11, 2017), but whose total absences add up to six months or more, time to REVIEW your presence calculation and add up the total of all days spent in another country during the previous four years, the total number of days COMBINED for the full four years.

If that even approaches, let alone exceeds 183 days, it would be prudent to consider initiating the process to obtain a police certificate SOONER rather than later, definitely sooner than the interview. Especially anyone for whom the country involved is one which will not provide a police certificate quickly.

Common error but it is an overt misstatement of fact:

Many applicants, it appears, have checked "no" in response to the item asking if they were in another country a total of 183 or more days, within the preceding FOUR (4) years, even though they were in fact in another country a total of 183 or more days during that time period.

As noted, actually the worst case scenario is an allegation of misrepresentation. The instructions for this item are straight-forward and clear. There is no hint that the question is about consecutive days in another country, about actually living/residing in another country, or about the total number of days in a calendar year. The guide provides several examples which more than amply illustrate the error in these approaches.

So far, however, IRCC appears receptive to "I misunderstood the question" explanations for checking "no" contrary to the facts. So there is NO reason to apprehend much risk of this triggering a denial of the application, for making a misrepresentation, which would result in a five year prohibition.

But anyone who is helping someone else prepare an application, please impress upon them the risks. Read the questions carefully. Avoid interpreting the questions based on what you think IRCC wants. Especially avoid interpreting questions in a way that makes it easier (such as to avoid having to go through the hassle and time it might take to obtain a police certificate). Answer the question that is asked and follow the instructions. It is all too easy to make mistakes as it is. Minimize the risks, focus on getting the question right, focus on giving an accurate and honest answer to the question asked, and follow the instructions.

Save the anxiety and headaches for some other aspect of life, recognizing there are plenty of risks that cannot be avoided, and no shortage of problems and burdens to endure. No need to add to them by trying to take shortcuts in a citizenship application.
@dpenabill as always useful information but on a lighter note - what has been your shortest post :p