+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PCC Query - Guide please

gc_007

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
PCC Query

Do I need to get my India PCC reissued or is the existing one valid. Please refer the below the facts.

February 2013: Arrived in Canada from India on work permit
December 2014: PCC issued for India
February 2015: Visited India for 3 months and came back to Canada thereafter

Now I need to apply for PR under Express entry. Is the PCC valid?

gc_007

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
Thanks Asivad....One more query ...now that i got my ita and m applying.

I have a masters and bachelors from India. I am also a CA from India. However, I got my ECA done for only for the master's as this fetched me the highest points.

Question 1 . So it is ok that I have it only for the Master's.
Question 2. In the education section in the online form, should I update only the Master's degree, or other as well (like Bachelors, CA, High school, secondary etc.)

Thanks in anticipation

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gc_007 said:
Thanks Asivad....One more query ...now that i got my ita and m applying.

I have a masters and bachelors from India. I am also a CA from India. However, I got my ECA done for only for the master's as this fetched me the highest points.

Question 1 . So it is ok that I have it only for the Master's.

CIC might prompt you for Bachelors as well.

Question 2. In the education section in the online form, should I update only the Master's degree, or other as well (like Bachelors, CA, High school, secondary etc.)

Recommend that you input only Masters since you haven't got ECS for Bachelors.

Thanks in anticipation

doobie.doobie

Apr 4, 2015
gc_007 said:
PCC Query

Do I need to get my India PCC reissued or is the existing one valid. Please refer the below the facts.

February 2013: Arrived in Canada from India on work permit
December 2014: PCC issued for India
February 2015: Visited India for 3 months and came back to Canada thereafter

Now I need to apply for PR under Express entry. Is the PCC valid?
As far as I understand the police certifiacation section on CIC's website, it clearly says that the PCC must not be issued 3 months before the date of application. Going with that, you might need to apply again.

gibinv

Oct 26, 2012
Beautiful BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
26-06-2015
doobie.doobie said:
As far as I understand the police certifiacation section on CIC's website, it clearly says that the PCC must not be issued 3 months before the date of application. Going with that, you might need to apply again.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country.

gibinv

Oct 26, 2012
Beautiful BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
26-06-2015
Asivad Anac said:
It is valid.
Hey... its invalid right?

As per cic web site, rules are as follows:

For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gc_007 said:
Very confusing
Not confusing at all.

You haven't stayed in India for more than 6 months at a stretch since getting your PCC. Hence your PCC is valid. Period.

gibinv

Oct 26, 2012
Beautiful BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
26-06-2015
Asivad Anac said:
Not confusing at all.

You haven't stayed in India for more than 6 months at a stretch since getting your PCC. Hence your PCC is valid. Period.
But it doesnt say that you have to be in India for more than 6 months. It just says 'last time you lived in there'. Anyway, it can be interpreted in different ways. I would say, its better to apply for new PCC. Better not to take risk.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gibinv said:
But it doesnt say that you have to be in India for more than 6 months. It just says 'last time you lived in there'. Anyway, it can be interpreted in different ways. I would say, its better to apply for new PCC. Better not to take risk.
It says exactly that. And it has been confirmed multiple times on this forum. Read the entirety of the rule including the example highlighted just before the lines you've posted here.

PCC is indefinitely valid provided you don't visit that country for 6+months at a stretch after getting the PCC.

gibinv

Oct 26, 2012
Beautiful BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
26-06-2015
Asivad Anac said:
It says exactly that. And it has been confirmed multiple times on this forum. Read the entirety of the rule including the example highlighted just before the lines you've posted here.

PCC is indefinitely valid provided you don't visit that country for 6+months at a stretch after getting the PCC.
:) I know that. If we live in a country for more than 6 months in a row, we need PCC from there. But the question is if we visit that same country once again after issuing PCC, do we need to apply for a new one? Thatswhy I said the rule can be interpreted in different ways. Anyway its just my opinion.

gibinv

Oct 26, 2012
Beautiful BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
26-06-2015
Anya654 said:
I understand what you mean that's why if I were the OP I'll get a new PCC. I know people will interprete it as after the last time you stayed in India for over 6 months and that if you go back again and stay for less than 6 months your previous PCC obtained the first time you were there is still valid, however I do not agree. This is what CIC says: 'for countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country'. They did not say the last time you lived in that country for more than 6 months. He or she should just get a new PCC for peace of mind.
All doubts can be clarified from below link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

BTW, Asivad Anac was right regarding the validity of PCC. The rule states that "For countries in which the applicant no longer resides, the PC must be issued later than the departure date of the last time the client resided in that country for more than six months."

But there is one more thing: PCC is valid only for one year from the date they are issued. I saw some post in some other threads like PCC is valid for an indefinite period, and its not correct.

Hope this clarifies all the doubts regarding PCC.

Thanks.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gibinv said:
All doubts can be clarified from below link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

BTW, Asivad Anac was right regarding the validity of PCC. The rule states that "For countries in which the applicant no longer resides, the PC must be issued later than the departure date of the last time the client resided in that country for more than six months."

But there is one more thing: PCC is valid only for one year from the date they are issued. I saw some post in some other threads like PCC is valid for an indefinite period, and its not correct.

Hope this clarifies all the doubts regarding PCC.

Thanks.
As far as CIC is concerned, PCC validity has nothing to do with what is printed on the PCC. There are only 2 rules here.

For the applicant’s current country of residence, the PC must be issued no more than six months before submission of the e-APR.

For countries in which the applicant no longer resides, the PC must be issued later than the departure date of the last time the client resided in that country for more than six months.

For rule 1, validity is defined by when you submit your PCC to CIC after ITA. It shouldn't be more than 6 months old as on that date.

For rule 2, no such validity concerns. If you last lived in a country for more than 6 months in 2007 and got a PCC from there in 2007 and visited that country for 2 non-concurrent visits of 5 months and 29 days each during every single year from 2007 till 2015, that PCC is still deemed valid.

Hope this clarifies.

PS: Of course, CIC reserves the right to ask you why you would travel every year for 8 consecutive years to a country for 2 non-concurrent visits of exactly 5 months and 29 days. But you know what I'm trying to say here... :D

gibinv

Oct 26, 2012
Beautiful BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
26-06-2015
Asivad Anac said:
As far as CIC is concerned, PCC validity has nothing to do with what is printed on the PCC. There are only 2 rules here.

For the applicant's current country of residence, the PC must be issued no more than six months before submission of the e-APR.

For countries in which the applicant no longer resides, the PC must be issued later than the departure date of the last time the client resided in that country for more than six months.

For rule 1, validity is defined by when you submit your PCC to CIC after ITA. It shouldn't be more than 6 months old as on that date.

For rule 2, no such validity concerns. If you last lived in a country for more than 6 months in 2007 and got a PCC from there in 2007 and visited that country for 2 non-concurrent visits of 5 months and 29 days each during every single year from 2007 till 2015, that PCC is still deemed valid.

Hope this clarifies.

PS: Of course, CIC reserves the right to ask you why you would travel every year for 8 consecutive years to a country for 2 non-concurrent visits of exactly 5 months and 29 days. But you know what I'm trying to say here... :D

:) Hope you went through this link. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp
It says: "PCs are typically valid for one year from the date they are issued."