+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PCC(Police certificate) requirement for Citizenship

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023
Hi All,

Please help me with my query :

My 5 yrs eligibity for citizenship is falls from - 2018 - April -01 TO 2023 - APRIL -01

for PCC -past 4 years your ever been in country or terrority more than 183 days , so my 4 yrs falls from - 2019-APRIL-01 TO 2023- APRIL-01.
I have lived in UK from 2019-april-01 and i become PR on 2019-oct-01 and return back to UK after 3 days and permanently came to canada on 2020-MARCH-10.

so do i need to submit PCC for citizenship application or NOT.

Please help

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023
Is UK country of origin, then no
but if it is not then , you will

yes UK is my country of origin. what i have select the application form: YES or NO

a.) in the past 4 yrs, were you a country or terrority other than canada for 183 days or more in a row ?

select yes or No.

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023
One more question, But I have lived in UK from 2019-april-01 and i become PR on 2019-oct-01 and return back to UK after 3 days and permanently came to canada on 2020-MARCH-10.

from 2019-april-01 to 2020-MARCH-10 (except 3 days in canada to become PR ) i lived in UK , its more than 183 days .so do i need to select YES or NO

a.) in the past 4 yrs, were you a country or terrority other than canada for 183 days or more in a row ?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi All,

My 5 yrs eligibity for citizenship is falls from - 2018 - April -01 TO 2023 - APRIL -01

for PCC -past 4 years your ever been in country or terrority more than 183 days , so my 4 yrs falls from - 2019-APRIL-01 TO 2023- APRIL-01.
I have lived in UK from 2019-april-01 and i become PR on 2019-oct-01 and return back to UK after 3 days and permanently came to canada on 2020-MARCH-10.

Please help
If you went back to live in the UK after becoming a PR, for more than 183 days, you will need a PCC.

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023
Thank you akbardxb.

@wink told as below

What I think is it does not matter whether before PR or after PR. Period to consider is four years from the day of signing the application. In that four year, did you live elsewhere for 183 days (or more). That's how I interpret this question.

@gaurav1282 told as told below

Is UK country of origin, then no
but if it is not then , you will

@akbardxb told as below

if you went back to live in the UK after becoming a PR, for more than 183 days, you will need a PCC.

Big big confusion, who is correct all are different answers.

help me

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
I would recommend obtaining PCC if not super complex, this will close all doubts

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi All,

Please help
For your PR process you would have provided UK PCC and you moved to Canada from UK which would be the country of origin in your case
Your period between 2019-Oct-04 to 2020-Mar-10: 158 days
As per your timelines you do not require a PCC

Example 2
You became a permanent resident 3 years and 9 months ago. In the past 4 years, you lived in Brazil for 3 months (90 days) before you became a permanent resident and you returned to Brazil to visit family for 4 months (120 days) after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide a police certificate from Brazil because you did not spend 183 days or more in a row in Brazil.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4

Reactions: wink

wink

May 25, 2021
For your PR process you would have provided UK PCC and you moved to Canada from UK which would be the country of origin in your case

Example 2
You became a permanent resident 3 years and 9 months ago. In the past 4 years, you lived in Brazil for 3 months (90 days) before you became a permanent resident and you returned to Brazil to visit family for 4 months (120 days) after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide a police certificate from Brazil because you did not spend 183 days or more in a row in Brazil.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4
Yes, that's what my understanding as well.
This is how I responded to her question in some other thread:

If it is more than 183 days, "Yes" is the answer. And then in the following table one need to list the country (in your case UK) and "No" for "I will provide police certificate" and in the explanation field something like "Lived in country of origin(UK) immediately prior to becoming a Permanent Resident of Canada.".

Reactions: abbas.pasha

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023

Example 2

thank you so much @abbas.pasha

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023
thank you so much @abbas.pasha

Example 2

Thank you @abbas.pasha - In case just to proactive if i need to provide PCC in advance with my application , how can i do that.

It means I will not fall into the 183 days so do i need to select "NO" and then attach new PCC to application .

or do i need to select still slect "YES for that question and attach new pcc to the application

Please advise

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thank you @abbas.pasha - In case just to proactive if i need to provide PCC in advance with my application , how can i do that.

It means I will not fall into the 183 days so do i need to select "NO" and then attach new PCC to application .

or do i need to select still slect "YES for that question and attach new pcc to the application

Please advise
I will not suggest you to answer the question as Yes.. the answer should be No
If you I will not suggest you to answer the question as Yes.
Answering the question as Yes will lead to more scrutiny imho if you are providing the correct absence from Canada

If you want to still (which will have no value add imho) go ahead and include the PCC you can do so as per of the documents you will attach.

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023
I will not suggest you to answer the question as Yes.. the answer should be No
If you I will not suggest you to answer the question as Yes.
Answering the question as Yes will lead to more scrutiny imho if you are providing the correct absence from Canada

If you want to still (which will have no value add imho) go ahead and include the PCC you can do so as per of the documents you will attach.
thank you , full clarification on this @abbas.pasha