+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PCC(Police certificate) requirement for Citizenship

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023
One more question -

I have worked remotely from my home Canada to a US employer and citizenship application while filling employer details , do i need to provide my home address or US employer address.

ldn123

Nov 3, 2013
Looks like the question has been answered.
I’m also from UK and completed citizenship application last year.

count back 4 yrs from your application signing date. If in that 4yrs you were NOT in Canada for more than the required amount (I think it was 183 days) you have to get uk police certificate.

The Uk police certificate checks is actually pretty quick. And I think it’s valid for 3 or 6months.
So I ordered my uk police certificate ahead of time (by 3months).
On the citizenship form I answered YES to the question of providing police certificate.

I would recommend you provide the certificate with the form. My mom didn’t and it delayed her application by 6months.
All the best.

Reactions: cool_eagle

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023

count back 4 yrs from your application signing date. If in that 4yrs you were NOT in Canada for more than the required amount (I think it was 183 days) you have to get uk police certificate.

The Uk police certificate checks is actually pretty quick. And I think it’s valid for 3 or 6months.
On the citizenship form I answered YES to the question of providing police certificate.

I would recommend you provide the certificate with the form. My mom didn’t and it delayed her application by 6months.
All the best.

thank you @ldn123

cool_eagle

Jul 3, 2015
Hi All,

Please help me with my query :

My 5 yrs eligibity for citizenship is falls from - 2018 - April -01 TO 2023 - APRIL -01

for PCC -past 4 years your ever been in country or terrority more than 183 days , so my 4 yrs falls from - 2019-APRIL-01 TO 2023- APRIL-01.
I have lived in UK from 2019-april-01 and i become PR on 2019-oct-01 and return back to UK after 3 days and permanently came to canada on 2020-MARCH-10.

so do i need to submit PCC for citizenship application or NOT.

Please help
You basically have 2 different stays.

1)In your case, you have lived in UK from 01 April 2019 to 01 Oct2019....continuously....that is about 6 months......I don't know how much were the exact days, check if it is less than 183 days

2) and then you landed for canada.....and after that, You went back for 5.3 months I guess.............so obviousy you don't need PCC for this.

Also there is mentioning in paper form for this particular entry that,
"If you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in canada and this time falls within this four year period, you are NOT required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box.

So, your case 1 basically falls under above Rule, So you don't require PCC for case 1 as well. So for both stays, you don't require PCC. So you answer NO. And, in the explanation box, you just mention above rule.

cool_eagle

Jul 3, 2015

All the best.
As you havn't provided the exact dates of your stay, so cann't be much said. But according to me, He doesn't require PCC.

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023

1)In your case, you have lived in UK from 01 April 2019 to 01 Oct2019....continuously....that is about 6 months......I don't know how much were the exact days, check if it is less than 183 days

2) and then you landed for canada.....and after that, You went back for 5.3 months I guess.............so obviousy you don't need PCC for this.

"If you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in canada and this time falls within this four year period, you are NOT required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box.

So, your case 1 basically falls under above Rule, So you don't require PCC for case 1 as well. So for both stays, you don't require PCC. So you answer NO. And, in the explanation box, you just mention above rule.

I have lived in UK from 2019-april-01 and i become PR on 2019-oct-01 and return back to UK after 3 days and permanently came to canada on 2020-MARCH-10.

Means I have lived continuously 183 days in UK , the 3 days trip to canada is just to came and went back but in that 3 days period my living in UK onluy , so the rule is 4 yrs of period if you live any where in 183 days then need PC.C , its not about before PR after PR and all. You just keep simple that 4 yrs period did you lived any where other than canada then you need PCC .

cool_eagle

Jul 3, 2015

Means I have lived continuously 183 days in UK , the 3 days trip to canada is just to came and went back but in that 3 days period my living in UK onluy , so the rule is 4 yrs of period if you live any where in 183 days then need PC.C , its not about before PR after PR and all. You just keep simple that 4 yrs period did you lived any where other than canada then you need PCC .
Hmm. I don't agree with that logic and logic presented by other people on this forum. If you come outside of that country, you break that rule of continuously in a Row (Otherwise it is just playing by words; that even though I came out of country adn visited other country for 3 days, but I was still living in original country; I don't agree with that). If you see examples given by IRCC, of Brazil and france, if you are out of ountry for 30 days or 60 days, you are out of that.--------------Anyhow, good luck for your application. To my opinion, you are not required, but IRCC sometimes can ask any document to be sure of any criminal misconduct, as your stay outside is brief (of 3 days only ; so it might be preferable for you to provide one beforehand to avoid any delay).

tanmaisneha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2018
Alberta
You do not need PCC for the stay before you became PR and once you are a PR you need a PPC for stays of more than 183 days, if it was less than that you wouldn't need one.

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023
You do not need PCC for the stay before you became PR and once you are a PR you need a PPC for stays of more than 183 days, if it was less than that you wouldn't need one.
If that the case in the guidance document or application form never mentioned about before or after PR , its just simple statement ' last 4 yrs your are any other country in row of 183 days then you need PCC , exemption is for origin of country applicants

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023
Hmm. I don't agree with that logic and logic presented by other people on this forum. If you come outside of that country, you break that rule of continuously in a Row (Otherwise it is just playing by words; that even though I came out of country adn visited other country for 3 days, but I was still living in original country; I don't agree with that). If you see examples given by IRCC, of Brazil and france, if you are out of ountry for 30 days or 60 days, you are out of that.--------------Anyhow, good luck for your application. To my opinion, you are not required, but IRCC sometimes can ask any document to be sure of any criminal misconduct, as your stay outside is brief (of 3 days only ; so it might be preferable for you to provide one beforehand to avoid any delay).
IRCC examples apply only and on basis of if you become PR and never back to any country and established in Canada and started living in Canada , then its different story.When you did landing and completed PR then you moved means your not living here in canada .

cool_eagle

Jul 3, 2015
IRCC examples apply only and on basis of if you become PR and never back to any country and established in Canada and started living in Canada , then its different story.When you did landing and completed PR then you moved means your not living here in canada .
Well, you are open to interpret that way, as some other members in this forum suggested. However, examples suggest that how IRCC considers that issue in generic sense. It is simply illogical and playing with words, that---- although I was physical present in other country for 3 days (out of 183) days, and physically present in Country A for 180 days..........but I lived in country A for 183 days (as per your explanation). So, in my conclusion, it is preferable to supply PCC (so as not cause delay if later on IRCC request as their broad discretion power), but rules suggest that you are not required to supply. Anyhow, good luck with your applicaton.

tanmaisneha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2018
Alberta
If that the case in the guidance document or application form never mentioned about before or after PR , its just simple statement ' last 4 yrs your are any other country in row of 183 days then you need PCC , exemption is for origin of country applicants
Please read the 10b of the form, it clearly states.

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023
Please read the 10b of the form, it clearly states.
Yes, I referring from user guide in 10b only, no where it mentioned before or after PR about the 183 days , its state very clearly that 4 yrs period your were in other country about 183 days provide PCC .

All my conclusion is after landing pr you spent few days without permanent address and went back then it will not count.

Example; you lived 160days in UK before landing PR and on 161th day you came Canada landed completed PR and went back on 163rd day , you back to UK and spent another 100 days in UK. And came back permanently to Canada after 101th day.

In this case before PR your are 160 days in uk and after PR you there in UK 100 days . if your fall 4 years eligibity in this case you should need PCC.