Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
mrbeachman said:
And how is he going to pay bills with Paypal?
by dropping the paypal money into a US bank account that can pay the bills. I've already tried this, and PayPal is not cooperating - it is prompting me to only transfer through a credit card, not my bank account.

monstergirly

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2015
AOR Received.
20-03-2015
File Transfer...
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2015
LANDED..........
29-06-2015
I have the same TD USD account set up that you (CDNPR2014) have and the "US Bill Pay" is frustrating. You can't use the account number, etc. to set up automatic debits either.

I only have one US bill left to pay and I ended up calling them and was able to pay by phone with my TD Visa debit card out of my CAD account... It's not the best thing but it's ended up being more convenient than the "bill pay".

Edit: if you do open a US based TD account you can transfer between TD Canada Trust and TD Bank OVER THE PHONE for free, not online. I was doing that for a while. It was a pain but it was free and the customer service was great...

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
monstergirly said:
I have the same TD USD account set up that you (CDNPR2014) have and the "US Bill Pay" is frustrating. You can't use the account number, etc. to set up automatic debits either.

I only have one US bill left to pay and I ended up calling them and was able to pay by phone with my TD Visa debit card out of my CAD account... It's not the best thing but it's ended up being more convenient than the "bill pay".

Edit: if you do open a US based TD account you can transfer between TD Canada Trust and TD Bank OVER THE PHONE for free, not online. I was doing that for a while. It was a pain but it was free and the customer service was great...
Thanks for your input! yes! you feel my pain. i realized this right after I opened the account and asked for the banking inf. I was pissed and kinda felt scammed into opening this account rather than the other one. the account kinda sucks, doesn't it?

I went to the bank this weekend and I found out the bank will issue me US Bank Drafts for FREE. I am not sure if this is because of the borderless plan or because of my husband's saving's account i'm connected to (I Was told "oh, because of the type of account you have, we can issue you free US bank drafts"). Either way, this seems to be the cheapest option (I hate paying the exchange rate at the banks). I can also get a book of US checks for $50. At this point, either i'm going to just do all bank drafts or pay the 2 bills that go through correctly online, and pay the 3rd by draft. at least i found some solution!

I'm wondering about the other US TD account. if I get one, will I be able to deposit us funds directly from a canadian branch? i still may look into this if it's possible...

monstergirly

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2015
AOR Received.
20-03-2015
File Transfer...
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2015
LANDED..........
29-06-2015
CDNPR2014 said:
I'm wondering about the other US TD account. if I get one, will I be able to deposit us funds directly from a canadian branch? i still may look into this if it's possible...
I actually used mobile deposit (on iPhone) for USD deposits to the US-based account while I still needed to. I think you can also mail in deposits but that probably takes forever! My understanding is that if I took a USD check to a local branch here in Toronto they would say I would need to deposit it into my Canada-based USD account and then transfer it to the US account (which you can do for free by phone like I mentioned).

My husband uses RBC and they also offer cross-border banking... I find that it is easier than TD to transfer between countries (you can do it online instead of over the phone) but there are other things I didn't like about them to use them myself, mainly that they don't have a Visa debit card and their customer support wasn't that great.

I hope as you get settled you'll pay off the US bills and not have to worry about them any more! I'm glad I only have one bill left.