+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Past Residency obligations of 153 out of 183 days not met for OHIP in 2017 - Eligibility maintained every year from 2018

Jim Irich

Oct 13, 2019
Hi,

My wife landed in Jan 2017 as PR in Ontario and had to leave the country after 140 days. She returned back in 1.5 months in July 2017 and had to leave Canada again in September 2017 for a month due to some family commitments. From Nov 2017 she has been continuously in Canada and we had our baby in Nov 2018.

We came to notice the Residency requirement of 153 out of 183 days initially. We had initially thought of 153 days a year. What should we do now. Should we contact OHIP and explain the situation. As per this rule(153/183) my wife becomes eligible only in Feb 2018 after returning in Nov 2017. We are ok to pay back any services taken until Feb 2018 but are concerned about if OHIP would ask to payback even the cost of having the baby(technically we were eligible by that time) and anything till now.

What should we do in this case. Please advice.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

My wife landed in Jan 2017 as PR in Ontario and had to leave the country after 140 days. She returned back in 1.5 months in July 2017 and had to leave Canada again in September 2017 for a month due to some family commitments. From Nov 2017 she has been continuously in Canada and we had our baby in Nov 2018.

We came to notice the Residency requirement of 153 out of 183 days initially. We had initially thought of 153 days a year. What should we do now. Should we contact OHIP and explain the situation. As per this rule(153/183) my wife becomes eligible only in Feb 2018 after returning in Nov 2017. We are ok to pay back any services taken until Feb 2018 but are concerned about if OHIP would ask to payback even the cost of having the baby(technically we were eligible by that time) and anything till now.

What should we do in this case. Please advice.
You will be contacted if OHIP audits your file. Ontario's poor record keeping will likely be you gain. After a few more years you can assume the problem with your residency obligations have not been caught. You'll know in the future about having to meet the residency obligations

Jim Irich

Oct 13, 2019
You will be contacted if OHIP audits your file. Ontario's poor record keeping will likely be you gain. After a few more years you can assume the problem with your residency obligations have not been caught. You'll know in the future about having to meet the residency obligations
Hi Canuck, I don't understand what you mean by "you will know in the future about having to meet your residency obligations". Does this mean Ontario government come after me :). My question is should this be reported since the residency obligations have already been met after Nov 2017 and the card was not used anytime before that. I am assuming even if audited a repayment only the period for which the obligations were not met. Can I reach out to Service Ontario regarding this and be honest about this or is this something that can be ignored?

Last edited: