+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Past Employment Reference Letters.

optimus1509

Star Member
Oct 10, 2015
Hi Guys,

I have been reading around and plan to apply under CEC. I believe there is a requirement to provide proof of current and past work experience. I have experience certificates for the past 10 years provided by the companies i worked for. Can i just submit these or do i require to re-obtain them with roles and responsibilities stated. Is this required in original or copy? At this point i only have my own original.

The CRS tool on the cic website is maxed out at 3 years or more of foreign work experience, so isn't it just enough to provide a letter for the last 3 years with roles and responsibilities? or do i need to provide for all 10 years (which is a nightmare and may not be feasible).

Please advise.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
The rules are:
- if you are claiming points for a work experience, you have to submit a reference letter with roles and responsibilities stated.
- if you are not claiming points for a work experience (even if it is your current job), don't add them to Work History section, add them to Personal History section after you receive an ITA, and you don't have to submit any reference letters.

So, since you are applying under CEC, you can safely ignore foreign work experience older than 3 years ago since you will not get any points for them. But, don't forget to list them in the Personal History section after you receive the ITA.

In fact, if you want to, you can ignore all foreign work experience (even if in past 3 years) if you have a decent CRS without them and don't want to claim points for them. In this case, you will not have to obtain any reference letters and save yourself some hassle.

Good Luck!