+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport will expire during pr application process

clarket7

Nov 20, 2017
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. I'm currently in Canada on a temporary working visa (expires April 2018). I need to travel to Europe soon and my passport expires in January 2018, I'm wondering if the visa supersedes the passport when I re enter Canada, normally if the passport expires before your return date border control won't let you through.

I don't want to apply for a new passport because I've got an permanent residency application in and I don't want to create any issues with that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
You will not be allowed to board the flight or enter Canada with an expired passport. Renew your passport ASAP. In fact, renewing it will help you later in your PR application. A passport that is about to expire may cause you issues in your PR application. Good luck!

clarket7

Nov 20, 2017
Hi, thanks for your response. The passport will not be expired when I re enter, I just won't have a return date therefore I'm wondering if the visa supersedes the passport.

Just out of interest, why would a renewed passport help my PR application?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi, thanks for your response. The passport will not be expired when I re enter, I just won't have a return date therefore I'm wondering if the visa supersedes the passport.

Thanks
1. The work permit shouldn't have been issued longer than the validity of the passport.
2. When you re-enter it is quite possible (if CBSA picks it up) that your work permit will be re-issued to expire on the same date as your passport.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
Agree with the above. To add,

The expiry date of the PR visa (which you get to do landing) is one year from the date of your medical or the expiry date of your passport whichever earlier. So, you may get stuck in a situation in which you get the visa valid for few weeks or even days.

clarket7

Nov 20, 2017
OK, thanks for the information. So I assume if you get a new passport I can just update my application details with the new passport and this won't cause any issues?

Can this be done online or would I have to do it via mail?

Thanks for your help.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
OK, thanks for the information. So I assume if you get a new passport I can just update my application details with the new passport and this won't cause any issues?

Can this be done online or would I have to do it via mail?

Thanks for your help.
This is not an issue at all. In fact, as I said before, it is recommended. You can update your passport information online using IRCC webform in the link below. Good Luck!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

clarket7

Nov 20, 2017
Great, thanks for your help. I'm hoping I haven't left this too late as my application has been in since August 28th, 2017. Although, I think the average processing time at the moment is close to 6 months.

m_rahman

Sep 26, 2020
Both of my dependent's passports and visitor permits will expire on March 30, 2023. The passports are in the renewal process and we expect to receive them within three to four weeks. After we receive the passports, our next step is to get visitor permits.

I got a nomination from RNIP, Canada and I want to submit all documents on the PR portal now. Once I received both passports and visitor permits I will update my children's information, May I ask what the process is to update?

Or,

I should wait for getting passports and getting visitor permits, then apply...?