+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Validity | PPR | 6 or 12 months expiry?

Racbil

Apr 20, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-04-2017
Doc's Request.
16-06-2017
AOR Received.
26-06-2017
Med's Done....
27-05-2017
Passport Req..
12-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2017
LANDED..........
09-02-2018
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the response.
I checked Air India and Air Canada and they do not seem have such terms. I am planning to come only early next year.
So will call up the airlines before booking the tickets to confirm the same.

Regards.
Me too....Landing early next year...Let's see..

fromind83

Aug 10, 2017
Hi Racbil,

Thank you for the message. Even my PPR came with a limit of 6 month validity. I also plan to land well before the 6 month validity otherwise it might be an issue with the airlines.

Btw, did you receive the PPR via email or through the CIC account. I received it only in my email and there was no sign of it anything mentioned in the CIC account. I was off the opinion any document would come with a barcode and a formal PDF (like the RPRF request). Was quite surprised. But the VFS staff took the email as proof and sent my passport to Canada embassy in New Delhi.

Kind regards,
fromind83

x.75

Jul 17, 2016
Hi Racbil,

Thank you for the message. Even my PPR came with a limit of 6 month validity. I also plan to land well before the 6 month validity otherwise it might be an issue with the airlines.

Btw, did you receive the PPR via email or through the CIC account. I received it only in my email and there was no sign of it anything mentioned in the CIC account. I was off the opinion any document would come with a barcode and a formal PDF (like the RPRF request). Was quite surprised. But the VFS staff took the email as proof and sent my passport to Canada embassy in New Delhi.

Kind regards,
fromind83
You should check with airlines. As I can see both Air India and Air Canada do not seem to have these restrictions. Both of these are very popular with people flying to Canada from New Delhi.

jellyfish_smile

Star Member
Apr 10, 2017
[QUOTEokieMistake, post: 6276679, member: 652851"]Hey,

Please find my replies inline.

The PPR email I received had the wordings "We are unable to issue a visa beyond the expiry date in your passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months." There are def some who get a PPR email with "12 months validity" requirement. I don't know if its country or stream specific.

The COPR is actually an official document (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) which you are supposed to carry with your self when you land in Canada. This along with your passport, with a visa label (unless one is from a visa exempt country - in which case an eTA is required). Indians do require a visa hence the Canadian High Commission puts a visa sticker on your passport with a "single entry" "immigrant" visa.

Secondly, before submitting your passport to VFS please make sure that you're well above the 6 month validity period. Reason being, you never know how much time the Canadian High Commission will take to return the passports and COPR. We got it 6 days flat (recvd courier) but there is no guarantee on the time lines.

For e.g. if your passport is expiring on say 1st March 2018 and you send in your passport today thinking that you're above the 6 month validity cut off (which btw is 1st Sep, 2017) - you may def run into trouble. For starters, the High commission may choose to delay returning passports (for whatever reason) and even if they do on say 28th Aug - it would be cutting it very close. Hence - Please account for all delays, transit times, flight booking, flight times, landing dates etc.

Thirdly, you must rush to Canada NOT ONLY before your passport expires but also on a date which is beyond the 06 month validity cut off. So taking the prev example - if its expiring on March 1, 2018 - and you had the passport, visa and COPR in your hand - you should've left yesterday!

Fourthly, please bear in mind that a PR card on an average takes about 90-120 days to be delivered. IF, however, you must return from Canada without receiving your PR Card (which you can) you must make sure to either apply for a PRTD (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/) or have your PR Card couriered to you by your family/friends in Canada. Without a PR Card or a PRTD you will find it difficult to make your way on a flight/ship to Canada. They used to allow reentry using a COPR but have stopped now. Road border crossings are still valid - BUT a) you'll need a US Visa and b) I assume there will be a lot of questioning.

No, my friend, What I meant was as soon as I have hands on my PR Card (90-120 days) I will apply for a renewal of my passport which considering I will be leaving in a few weeks from now should be anywhere around the end of this year or start of the next. This will still be well within (by ~6 months) my passport's expiry date. No one would recommend anyone to stay anywhere (other than their country of citizenship) beyond their passport's expiry.

Short landing is a term used colloquially - I don't know if its used in official lingo or not.

You see everyone has a last entry date mentioned on their visa and COPR. This is the date by which you SHOULD land in Canada (for the first time) and complete the required formalities at the airport/border control. Only then you're considered a PR.

So people who do not wish to move permanently (for the time being) fly out to Canada, complete these formalities and go back. The stay in Canada can be anything of your liking - few hours to days to weeks or months. Thus the name 'short landing'.

Again, I'd urge to get all your dates and details sorted out - if, by any chance, you think you'll be cutting it very close to the expiry dates - try to get a tatkal passport if not you can go ahead and land, get a PR card and renew your passport using BLS Canada's services.

Tk cr,
hope you have a great time in Canada.
[/QUOTE]
In my case, my visa office being Accra called me on the 17th of November asking me if I can travel before December 7th which is the day my medical is expiring. My fears is, I don't know if I can go ahead and book flight for 4th of December and worried if they will return my passport before 2nd of December for me to make the trip on the 4th of December. Really nervous!

Adinsingh

Nov 9, 2017
Hi all . if the PPR email does not request 6/12 months validity on passport , then is one safe to submit the pp to lvo with less than six months ? I received my ppr tonight and my pp expires in a few days shy of 6 months . My country takes more than 30 days to renew pp and I could only renew as of now .
am I safe to submit as is ?

I copied my ppr email below

Your application for permanent residence in Canada has reached the final stage of processing and we need your passport and the documents listed below in order to make a final decision.

Please read carefully all information and instructions set out below and complete the steps accordingly.

Visa Validity:

Once issued, permanent resident visas usually expire on the date of expiry of your medical examination results, which in your case is . If there is an earlier date of expiry on your visa(s), that is because the passport validity of you or one of your accompanying dependents expires before the medical examination expiry date.

You and all your accompanying dependents must travel to Canada and present your immigration documents at a Canadian Port of Entry before they expire. The validity of the visas cannot be extended.

Required documentation:

You must submit the following documents within THIRTY (30) days from the date of this letter.

☐ Original signed valid passport for yourself and each accompanying dependent:

- Each person, including minor children, must have their own passport, and there must be at least two blank pages in each passport

- Ordinary passports are the only type of passport into which a permanent resident visa may be inserted. Diplomatic, official, and other special passports are not acceptable

- Passports that are not signed by the holder are not valid for travel

muraleekrishnan

Jun 13, 2017
Hi,
I am in India. I got my PPR yesterday (22/01/2018). It says the passport should be valid for at least 6 months.
My spouse passport is expiring on 05/Aug/2018. Since it is just more than 6 months, I am planning to submit this passport. Our medical test happened in Aug 2017. So, our visa stamping would also expire by Aug 2018. So, it does not make much difference in terms of the visa time duration.

I am not planning for a short landing. We are planning to go there and stay long. Suppose, we plan to reach there around June, 2018, can we first renew the passport and then apply for the PR card since it takes 90-120 days of processing time. Otherwise, by the time we get the PR card, the passport would have expired.

Please advise how should I go forward. Is there any risk in submitting the existing passport which is expiring on 5th Aug 2018? I am thinking of doing the submission tomorrow itself.

Suppose, I wish to renew my passport first and then do the submission, what is the process around that? How do I intimate CIC about this? Is there a form I have to submit? Or is it enough if I simply submit the 2 passports (old and new) along with a covering letter?

Reactions: Th4is

kevin.pete

Star Member
Sep 9, 2017
Hello Members, I have a question about passport validity. My parents got their immigrant visa stamped on 21-August-2018 at NDVO. Their passport expiry is 28-May-2019 and the visa is also valid until the same date. They are planning to come to Canada around end of March 2019. So when they fly to Canada, their passports will be valid only for two months. My plan is to get it renewed in Toronto after they land, however I have heard that the requirement is that the passport should be valid for minimum 6 months when you travel to Canada. Is that true? Would it cause any problems?

syed38101

Oct 19, 2018
Please help me with this query:

My passport expires in Oct 2019. I have received an ITA last week. Is it ok if I continue my application on my current passport and when requested for PPR, depending on the validity of the passport, I can decide if I should renew and submit the new passport before submitting it for PPR ?

Please suggest.

sharath64

Dec 29, 2018
Hey there. I am looking forward to get my Pp renewed under the Tatkal scheme before PPR. Do I need to inform Cic via webform/e-mail or simply send both the new & current PP when PPR comes. Please guide.
Hey please let me know what you had done in this case? i am now in a similar situation.

Jordan_10

Star Member
Jun 19, 2019
Australia
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
3rd April 2019
AOR Received.
3rd April 2019
Passport Req..
03-10-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23-10-2019
Hey please let me know what you had done in this case? i am now in a similar situation.
Hi @sharath64 did you renew your passport before submitting for PPR??

I haven’t received my PPR and I’m hoping I’ll receive it in the next few weeks. Does the PPR letter strictly say our passport must be valid for 6months? Does it give an alternative option? My passport expires in Jan 2020 and around July 11th I’ll have only 6 months more of validity! Should I renew my passport?

Aaa1234

Jul 23, 2019
Hi again,

IF you plan to do a short landing do it as soon as you can (while staying above the 6 month window) and once you're back you can apply for a passport via the tatkal scheme (if you can) or just a regular application.

You will need to plan your trip so that both your onward and return flights are well above the 6 months window.

Alternatively, if you can apply for a tatkal passport (know a class 1 officer and have other docs ready) do it asap and send in both your passports when asked by CIC along with a letter explaining why you're sending the two passports. This way your new passport will be stamped and the COPR will be tagged to the new passport (COPR mentions the travel document number). Don't renew your passport AFTER getting the COPR and before landing. That will be a blunder AFAIK!

P.S. I'm assuming you're from India "fromind83" :).
Sir I am in the same situation would like some insight how was the matter solved.
Thank u in advance.

Plol

Nov 4, 2020
hi
Hi,
I am in India. I got my PPR yesterday (22/01/2018). It says the passport should be valid for at least 6 months.
My spouse passport is expiring on 05/Aug/2018. Since it is just more than 6 months, I am planning to submit this passport. Our medical test happened in Aug 2017. So, our visa stamping would also expire by Aug 2018. So, it does not make much difference in terms of the visa time duration.

I am not planning for a short landing. We are planning to go there and stay long. Suppose, we plan to reach there around June, 2018, can we first renew the passport and then apply for the PR card since it takes 90-120 days of processing time. Otherwise, by the time we get the PR card, the passport would have expired.

Please advise how should I go forward. Is there any risk in submitting the existing passport which is expiring on 5th Aug 2018? I am thinking of doing the submission tomorrow itself.

Suppose, I wish to renew my passport first and then do the submission, what is the process around that? How do I intimate CIC about this? Is there a form I have to submit? Or is it enough if I simply submit the 2 passports (old and new) along with a covering letter?
, hi, how did you resolve this?