+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Validity | PPR | 6 or 12 months expiry?

x.75

Jul 17, 2016
Hi Rookie,

Thanks a lot for the great post and explanation.

However, I do not understand, why would you say this :

Thirdly, you must rush to Canada NOT ONLY before your passport expires but also on a date which is beyond the 06 month validity cut off. So taking the prev example - if its expiring on March 1, 2018 - and you had the passport, visa and COPR in your hand - you should've left yesterday!
Why do we need 6 + months validity passport to go to Canada and come back ?
Do you have any concrete evidence of this requirement ?

Regards.

Scorpman21

May 12, 2017
Again, I'd urge to get all your dates and details sorted out - if, by any chance, you think you'll be cutting it very close to the expiry dates - try to get a tatkal passport
Hey there. I am looking forward to get my Pp renewed under the Tatkal scheme before PPR. Do I need to inform Cic via webform/e-mail or simply send both the new & current PP when PPR comes. Please guide.

rahulmehta222

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
Hey there. I am looking forward to get my Pp renewed under the Tatkal scheme before PPR. Do I need to inform Cic via webform/e-mail or simply send both the new & current PP when PPR comes. Please guide.
In addition to this, the renewed passport would have a different address for all those who have been living out of their hometown for employment, etc. How would this affect us?

Thanks

Scorpman21

May 12, 2017
In addition to this, the renewed passport would have a different address for all those who have been living out of their hometown for employment, etc. How would this affect us?
Well, if the change in address is Post-Aor, than Cic explicitly mentions that they need to be informed, else it wouldn't matter to them.

Last edited:

rahulmehta222

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
Well, if the change in address is Post-Aor, than Cic explicitly mentions that they need to be informed, else it wouldn't matter to them.
Hi Scorpman,

My passport was issued in 2008 with my hometown address. My address history in e-AOR has current address for last 2 years and this is going to be the address which will come on my re-issued passport. Do you think I need to communicate anything to CIC in this case?

Thanks
Rahul

Reactions: Scorpman21

Scorpman21

May 12, 2017
Hi Scorpman,
My passport was issued in 2008 with my hometown address. My address history in e-AOR has current address for last 2 years and this is going to be the address which will come on my re-issued passport. Do you think I need to communicate anything to CIC in this case?
Hey Rahul, I guess both of us are looking for the same answer. Though you do not need to inform Cic just because you will have a different address on your renewed passport. The query is regarding do we need to inform Cic at all for the renewed Passport, or can simply send them for stamping.

rahulmehta222

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
Hey Rahul, I guess both of us are looking for the same answer. Though you do not need to inform Cic just because you will have a different address on your renewed passport. The query is regarding do we need to inform Cic at all for the renewed Passport, or can simply send them for stamping.
Hey Man, I am with you on the query whether to inform them or not but I am also worried how would they react when they receive 2 passports with different addresses?

Reactions: Scorpman21

Scorpman21

May 12, 2017
Hey Man, I am with you on the query whether to inform them or not but I am also worried how would they react when they receive 2 passports with different addresses?
As I said, that wouldn't be an issue because they already have your current address which you must have informed them while submitting.

rahulmehta222

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
As I said, that wouldn't be an issue because they already have your current address which you must have informed them while submitting.
Yeah, I hope they would understand my case. It would be better to write a letter explaining the situation and send it along with passports. In addition to that, it wouldn't hurt to raise a CSE once we receive a renewed passport. Hope doing these 2 things have us covered from all bases

RookieMistake

Star Member
Feb 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-05-2017
Doc's Request.
RPRF
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
03-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
None
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
26-06-2017
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
25-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2017
LANDED..........
03-10-2017
Hi Rookie,

Thanks a lot for the great post and explanation.

However, I do not understand, why would you say this :

Why do we need 6 + months validity passport to go to Canada and come back ?
Do you have any concrete evidence of this requirement ?

Regards.
Hi,

The details are Airline and/or Country specific.

Most (if not all) will list their terms in some or the other part of their website.
You can check the T&C or Conditions of Carriage or Travel Information or whatever the airlines wishes to call that section of their website.

I found the following for AA, UA, BA and DL:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/international-travel/international-travel.jsp
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/destination/international/passport.aspx
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/passports-visas-and-api
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/planning-a-trip/international-travel/traveling-from-the-u-s.html

You may look for this information on other airlines too or have a look/ask on air travel specific forums like TA's Air travel forum, airliners or flyer talk etc. Alternatively, you may call up your local travel agent or airline customer care - they will be able to guide you better.

P.S. AFAIK the airline itself will deny you checkin/boarding in case you do not adhere to their terms/country's terms w.r.t. passport validity. I can understand the airlines playing it safe - they're the ones who'll have to shell out money in this kinda deportation (if you do manage to reach the destination country).

Racbil

Apr 20, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-04-2017
Doc's Request.
16-06-2017
AOR Received.
26-06-2017
Med's Done....
27-05-2017
Passport Req..
12-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2017
LANDED..........
09-02-2018
Hello Rookie,

Thanks for the really detailed message. Your research will serve a lot of people in my situation. I have to read your explanation a few more times to digest all the info.

My passport expires in 7/2018. Just wanted to be prepared for any kind of delay.

I will see what I should do and will seek out help in the thread as I move forward.

All the best.
Fromind83
Even I was in the same situation.

My passport expires on 05/05/2018. Submitted my passport to New Delhi office on 16-Aug-2017 with just 8 months validity.

Got my PPR on Aug 24th with expiry date as 05/05/2018. So I believe they are looking for min 6 months validity.

I am planning to land in January. Now I'll have to check if I can book air tickets with just 4 months passport validity. Members, please feel free to comment on airline tickets.

Last edited:

x.75

Jul 17, 2016
Even I was in the same situation.

My passport expires on 05/05/2018. Submitted my passport to New Delhi office on 16-Aug-2017 with just 8 months validity.

Got my PPR on Aug 24th with expiry date as 05/05/2018. So I believe they are looking for min 6 months validity.
I am in same boat as well. Passport expiring May 2018 and got PPR yesterday. They only mention that 6 months requirement in the PPR.

Racbil

Apr 20, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-04-2017
Doc's Request.
16-06-2017
AOR Received.
26-06-2017
Med's Done....
27-05-2017
Passport Req..
12-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2017
LANDED..........
09-02-2018
I am in same boat as well. Passport expiring May 2018 and got PPR yesterday. They only mention that 6 months requirement in the PPR.
Yeah. But many airlines will ask for minimum 6 months validity on passport.

If thats the case, air tickets cannot be booked after November since passport expires in May 2018. Will have to talk to airlines and confirm this.

x.75

Jul 17, 2016
Hi,

The details are Airline and/or Country specific.

Most (if not all) will list their terms in some or the other part of their website.
You can check the T&C or Conditions of Carriage or Travel Information or whatever the airlines wishes to call that section of their website.

I found the following for AA, UA, BA and DL:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/international-travel/international-travel.jsp
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/destination/international/passport.aspx
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/passports-visas-and-api
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/planning-a-trip/international-travel/traveling-from-the-u-s.html

You may look for this information on other airlines too or have a look/ask on air travel specific forums like TA's Air travel forum, airliners or flyer talk etc. Alternatively, you may call up your local travel agent or airline customer care - they will be able to guide you better.

P.S. AFAIK the airline itself will deny you checkin/boarding in case you do not adhere to their terms/country's terms w.r.t. passport validity. I can understand the airlines playing it safe - they're the ones who'll have to shell out money in this kinda deportation (if you do manage to reach the destination country).
Yeah. But many airlines will ask for minimum 6 months validity on passport.

If thats the case, air tickets cannot be booked after November since passport expires in May 2018. Will have to talk to airlines and confirm this.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the response.
I checked Air India and Air Canada and they do not seem have such terms. I am planning to come only early next year.
So will call up the airlines before booking the tickets to confirm the same.

Regards.

x.75

Jul 17, 2016
If any other forum members have experience of traveling within 6 month of expiry of passport, please share your experience.

Thanks a lot in advance.