+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Stamps translation (Arabic to English)

Sarim

Aug 13, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
London... Resident United Arab Emirates... National Pakistan...
App. Filed.......
02, June 2015
AOR Received.
09, July 2015... AOR2 10, Aug 2015
File Transfer...
29, July 2015... In Process 6, Aug 2015
Med's Request
Upfront 23, May 2015
Interview........
Waived... Decision Made 12, Nov 2015
Passport Req..
24, Nov 2015... Passport Sent 1, Dec 2015
VISA ISSUED...
09, Dec 2015... PP & COPR rcvd 16, Dec 2015
LANDED..........
19, May 2016
Hi Seniors/Experts,

My file is under process now so I am preparing myself for test and interview, Have one question before PR I used to live in gulf countries United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia as a resident I am originally from Pakistan but after the PR I never visit again gulf countries but I have travel history in my past 5 years passports so do I need to translate those stamps in English or not? If yes from where I can get translate in Mississauga ON or Milton ON.

Moreover this same case was with my cousin as well she passed the test and at the time of interview officer asked for translation even she never visited gulf countries after PR.

Appreciate your soonest response.

Sarim

Sarim

Aug 13, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
02, June 2015
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront 23, May 2015
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
19, May 2016
no one here to help?? :(

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Hi Seniors/Experts,

My file is under process now so I am preparing myself for test and interview, Have one question before PR I used to live in gulf countries United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia as a resident I am originally from Pakistan but after the PR I never visit again gulf countries but I have travel history in my past 5 years passports so do I need to translate those stamps in English or not? If yes from where I can get translate in Mississauga ON or Milton ON.

Moreover this same case was with my cousin as well she passed the test and at the time of interview officer asked for translation even she never visited gulf countries after PR.

Sarim
Hi
I think its a good idea especially for Saudi, because all of the stamps in UAE are in English and Arabic both, but Saudi ones would be in Arabic ONLY, it will be good to have it at hand, just in case the office may want to verify it, because if they need it, they will tell you then you will have to email or post to them adding to time, It is a good idea to have them and only provide once the office asks for it.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Sarim

Hydi

Star Member
Jul 12, 2015
I did translate all the stamps that are not in English and brought them with me to the interview although I haven t traveled to these countries since I came to Canada. The officer did not ask me for them. Yet, I encourage you to translate them to prevent any delay to your file in case they asked for them

Kohl

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
Hi Seniors/Experts,

Sarim

Better safe than sorry. You can have a neutral party translate them for you and have it notarized. For example you can’t do it yourself. I *think* but don’t remember for sure, but don’t think your family can do it for you either. Otherwise you can hire a certified translator. If you want I will pm you the PM of the Arabic translator I used who is a certified translator in Ontario. Just message me.

Kohl

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
Here is the exact policy for citizenship translations:

Policy
Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by

• the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation, if required.
Translations by family members are not acceptable. A family member is defined as being a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or first cousin.”

So you can save money if you have someone other than those listed above who will do it for you and sign the affidavit or you can just hire a CT. I went hassle free and just hired a CT.

I’ve actually got the names of about five Ontario certified translators but the one I chose I think is the best because he was the only one who could correctly translate a smudged stamp :)

So yah if you want to PM I’ll send you all their email addresses.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/applications-translation-documents.html

Hi Seniors/Experts,

Sarim
is the

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019

Policy

Translations by family members are not acceptable. A family member is defined as being a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or first cousin.”

So you can save money if you have someone other than those listed above who will do it for you and sign the affidavit or you can just hire a CT. I went hassle free and just hired a CT.

I’ve actually got the names of about five Ontario certified translators but the one I chose I think is the best because he was the only one who could correctly translate a smudged stamp :)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/applications-translation-documents.html

is the
Having not passed through it yet, I have 2 Q's
1. The abstract above refers to the package sent at the time of application and apart from the main page no other prints are required. Is this still applicable when you just show the passport to the officer?
2. I'm a heavy traveler and within the stipulated period I visited 20+ countries would I have to hire that many translators for just stamps?
I doubt there would be a lot of 'been there done that' folks, but would be insightful to hear their two pence...

Kohl

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
1. My reasoning for considering this policy as applicable is because your passport has to be presented to an officer at some point in the process. I believe it’s around when you take the test/interview. I’m not far along enough to tell you for sure. But since an officer will review your passport I consider the stamps as “documents that accompany citizenship applications submitted to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).”

Now that’s just my take. You may disagree. Generally from reading around on here, people who were having their passport examined but didn’t have translations for stamps on hand were told to obtain and submit a translation to IRCC. It seems a few got lucky and were not asked for a translation. So I would ask yourself whether or not you are willing to take a chance at your test/interview.

2. 20+ countries would be how many languages? Hopefully most are in the same language if you do choose to hire a certified translator, as they generally do package deals.

For example, the translator I hired said, “I charge $40 for the first 5 stamps and then $3 for each following stamp. If the number of stamps is less than 5, I charge $10 per stamp. I also charge $15 per visa.”

So if you’re lucky most the stamps are in just a few languages.

So, I’m more of a “not been there but am doing that;” someone else may have better information for you. I am not willing to risk a delay down the road so the answer to my question for me, was no, I am not willing to take a chance and I’ll just proactively get this translated.

Lastly I want to mention that even if the stamps fall outside the stipulated time period, if the entry/exit dates aren’t in English or French or otherwise somehow made clear (like the stamp clearly shows 01/01/2010) then how else will the officer know that these visits to foreign countries do not apply to your application and time spent in Canada? They would only know so if you have a translation at hand.

I am tired so my mind isn't really sharp right now so I hope I’m making sense. My opinion? Get your entire passport translated. Save money by finding locals who are willing to do the affidavit, pay certified translators for the rest. But as you said maybe someone whose actually BTDT can better advise you.

Having not passed through it yet, I have 2 Q's
1. The abstract above refers to the package sent at the time of application and apart from the main page no other prints are required. Is this still applicable when you just show the passport to the officer?
2. I'm a heavy traveler and within the stipulated period I visited 20+ countries would I have to hire that many translators for just stamps?
I doubt there would be a lot of 'been there done that' folks, but would be insightful to hear their two pence...

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
1. My reasoning for considering this policy as applicable is because your passport has to be presented to an officer at some point in the process. I believe it’s around when you take the test/interview. I’m not far along enough to tell you for sure. But since an officer will review your passport I consider the stamps as “documents that accompany citizenship applications submitted to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).”

Now that’s just my take. You may disagree. Generally from reading around on here, people who were having their passport examined but didn’t have translations for stamps on hand were told to obtain and submit a translation to IRCC. It seems a few got lucky and were not asked for a translation. So I would ask yourself whether or not you are willing to take a chance at your test/interview.

2. 20+ countries would be how many languages? Hopefully most are in the same language if you do choose to hire a certified translator, as they generally do package deals.

For example, the translator I hired said, “I charge $40 for the first 5 stamps and then $3 for each following stamp. If the number of stamps is less than 5, I charge $10 per stamp. I also charge $15 per visa.”

So if you’re lucky most the stamps are in just a few languages.

So, I’m more of a “not been there but am doing that;” someone else may have better information for you. I am not willing to risk a delay down the road so the answer to my question for me, was no, I am not willing to take a chance and I’ll just proactively get this translated.

Lastly I want to mention that even if the stamps fall outside the stipulated time period, if the entry/exit dates aren’t in English or French or otherwise somehow made clear (like the stamp clearly shows 01/01/2010) then how else will the officer know that these visits to foreign countries do not apply to your application and time spent in Canada? They would only know so if you have a translation at hand.

I am tired so my mind isn't really sharp right now so I hope I’m making sense. My opinion? Get your entire passport translated. Save money by finding locals who are willing to do the affidavit, pay certified translators for the rest. But as you said maybe someone whose actually BTDT can better advise you.
All makes sense. I'm just a bit perplexed at how on Earth would one find a translator (if being on the safe side translate European stamps into the English language) versed in so many languages.
Now, the period covered in the submission consists of 2 distinctive parts:
1. Didn't stay in Canada after landing and went back to my country for a couple of years. That is when I did most of the travel. I didn't even put those trips outside of my home country in the submission as I'm clearly not trying to claim this time as spent here.
2. Came to Canada for good and from out here probably 10 trips give or take
So the 5-year period covers both, the last 3 and a bit which constitutes the 1095 days + are no problem and don't have a lot that is not stamped using non-Latin alphabet...
Guess I will need to spend some time on the phone with IRCC trying to get an answer as to which parts might need a translation

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
126 stamps not in English if counting EU countries in and having to translate Munchen into Munich etc...:confused: and that is just my passport

Sarim

Aug 13, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
02, June 2015
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront 23, May 2015
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
19, May 2016

Policy

is the
PM Sent

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
I know of some who have been asked to translate passport stamps before the 5-years prior to the date of the citizenshihp application. The citizenship interviewer wanted each and every non-English/French passport stamp translated over the entire validity period of the passport. It all depends on who your interviewer is. Sometimes they want this and sometimes they do not.

If you get all stamps translated, then there is no possibility of further delay. But if you only translate the previous five years and not any prior to that period, and if the citizenship interviewer decides they want the old stamps translated as well then they will put your application on hold until the stamps are translated and submitted to IRCC and then wait weeks or months for them to accept and review the translation and for them to proceed to complete the processing of the application.

Sarim

Aug 13, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
02, June 2015
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront 23, May 2015
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
19, May 2016
I know of some who have been asked to translate passport stamps before the 5-years prior to the date of the citizenshihp application. The citizenship interviewer wanted each and every non-English/French passport stamp translated over the entire validity period of the passport. It all depends on who your interviewer is. Sometimes they want this and sometimes they do not.

If you get all stamps translated, then there is no possibility of further delay. But if you only translate the previous five years and not any prior to that period, and if the citizenship interviewer decides they want the old stamps translated as well then they will put your application on hold until the stamps are translated and submitted to IRCC and then wait weeks or months for them to accept and review the translation and for them to proceed to complete the processing of the application.
got it thank you.

Kohl

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
Probably looking at having to find multiple translators.

All makes sense. I'm just a bit perplexed at how on Earth would one find a translator (if being on the safe side translate European stamps into the English language) versed in so many languages.
Now, the period covered in the submission consists of 2 distinctive parts:
1. Didn't stay in Canada after landing and went back to my country for a couple of years. That is when I did most of the travel. I didn't even put those trips outside of my home country in the submission as I'm clearly not trying to claim this time as spent here.
2. Came to Canada for good and from out here probably 10 trips give or take
So the 5-year period covers both, the last 3 and a bit which constitutes the 1095 days + are no problem and don't have a lot that is not stamped using non-Latin alphabet...
Guess I will need to spend some time on the phone with IRCC trying to get an answer as to which parts might need a translation