+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Renewal Update for Study permit

smvnair

Jul 6, 2023
I am here in Canada on a work permit. Our child of 16 is renewing his passport. What is the process for us to update CIC, IRCC about this change?

1. Do we need to apply for a new permit and ask for permit extension?
2. Or we just inform IRCC with details of his new passport and continue to use the old Study permit?

Any guidance will be very helpful.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
What visa is the child on?
What is the validity of the current visa?

If you have a valid visa, there is no intimation needed until you are ready to apply for a fresh visa using the new passport

smvnair

Jul 6, 2023
What visa is the child on?
What is the validity of the current visa?

If you have a valid visa, there is no intimation needed until you are ready to apply for a fresh visa using the new passport
He is on a dependent Study Permit and validity of the permit is for another year.

The thing is that if he has to travel and the passport on the permit is different than what he will travel with...wont it cause any issues at the immigration?

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
He is on a dependent Study Permit and validity of the permit is for another year.Doesn't make sense to apply until it expires

The thing is that if he has to travel and the passport on the permit is different than what he will travel with...wont it cause any issues at the immigration?Traveling with both passports and being able to explain is absolutely fine. Very common thing

smvnair

Jul 6, 2023
Thank you! This helps.

I have to get his passport which we will and then at an opportune time renew his permit.

The only reason I was contemplating on applying much ahead was because of the processing times. Thanks again!

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Thank you! This helps.

I have to get his passport which we will and then at an opportune time renew his permit.

The only reason I was contemplating on applying much ahead was because of the processing times. Thanks again!
Has there been a change in circumstances? I am not sure why you would want to apply to renew his permit when it is just the passport which has been reissued.

smvnair

Jul 6, 2023
Has there been a change in circumstances? I am not sure why you would want to apply to renew his permit when it is just the passport which has been reissued.
Because the kids passport expires just around the time he completes his 12th grade and he will be applying to universities. The study permit is valid only till the time the passport is valid, hence. The parents permits have validity longer than the kids.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Because the kids passport expires just around the time he completes his 12th grade and he will be applying to universities. The study permit is valid only till the time the passport is valid, hence. The parents permits have validity longer than the kids.
  1. Apply to renew the passport a month before it expires
  2. Apply to renew the Study permit when necessary with a receipt of this application for passport if you do not have the new passport yet
  3. Assuming you are inside Canada, you can update your application with new passport
  4. Once the study permit is approved & you receive a physical copy, check the dates & apply for an amendment if necessary