+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Renewal paused due to covid - EE

Saramov2021

Feb 13, 2021
Hi, I’m starting to get everything together before submitting my express entry profile and I have a question I am hoping you can help with as I couldn’t find a definitive answer online.

My passport currently expires Feb 2022 (12 months from now). I understand I have to have a valid passport upon application for the duration of the PPR.

Passport renewals have been paused due to covid since December and are not due to resume until restrictions are lifted in Ireland which may be as late as May. I was hoping to renew it so it was valid for the full duration if I was to be approved.

Do I have to wait until I renew my passport before submitting my application ? Or can I start my application and use my current passport that expires in 12 month and renew that down the line?

Any information is welcome! Thank you.

apple121

Nov 6, 2020
You can use your current passport, as they say on the page: "If you’re applying through Express Entry, you should renew your passport if it expires within 6 months from the day you apply for permanent residence. Then, update your new passport information in your application. This will ensure it’s valid when we process your application "
And don't forget to add also all the pages with visa stamps.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/passport-travel-document.html

Saramov2021

Feb 13, 2021
great, thank you for your help! I didn't realise i needed to add all pages with visa stamps so appreciate the info.