+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Renewal after Applying for Citizenship ... Please advise

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Hi,

I applied for Citizenship on 2nd Dec 2014 (received on 3rd Dec 2014 by CIC) and obviously attached my passport pages with the citizenship application. Now, Since my passport was expiring in April 2015 so i applied for passport renewal on Dec 30th 2014 and got my new passport on 5th feb 2015. What should i do now? I got my new passport just few days back so should i inform CIC about it or it doesnt really matter ?

Please advise.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
shahmad said:
Hi,

I applied for Citizenship on 2nd Dec 2014 (received on 3rd Dec 2014 by CIC) and obviously attached my passport pages with the citizenship application. Now, Since my passport was expiring in April 2015 so i applied for passport renewal on Dec 30th 2014 and got my new passport on 5th feb 2015. What should i do now? I got my new passport just few days back so should i inform CIC about it or it doesnt really matter ?

Please advise.
It should not matter. All it matters would be the passports held for relevant past 4 years from the date of signature of the application.
However to be on safe side, once you receive AOR, you will receive a file number, just send the copy of your new passport with the file number to CIC to add that information to your citizenship application.

Also keep all the passports handy during the interview.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shahmad said:
Hi,

Please advise.
I would just take a coy with me to the interview( with the original of course. Also, hope you kept the expired one as well otherwise you may be in trouble.

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
This happened to me ... I got a new passport 6-months before I got my interview and I travelled outside Canada. For the interview I took all my passports and during the interview the officer could not find one of the entries/exists in my older passports so I show her exit/entry in my new passport and she took copies of it and attached them to my file.

interview happened in Nov 5th and I took my oath of citizenship in Dec 11.

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
ingegarcia said:
This happened to me ... I got a new passport 6-months before I got my interview and I had travel outside Canada during that timeSo for the interview I took all my passports and during the interview the officer could not find one of the entries/exists in my older passports so I show her exit/entry in my new passport and she took copies of it and attached them to my file.

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate your inputs :) , Yes I have the cancelled one and the new one both with me.

@ingegarcia

Just for my clarification as you have already been through this situation ..... So, you didnot inform CIC about the new passport and went for the test and in interview showed the officer your new passport, is that correct ?

You said
ingegarcia said:
during the interview the officer could not find one of the entries/exists in my older passports so I show her exit/entry in my new passport.
But how did the officer know that you travelled when the latest entry/exit stamps were not even there in your old passport obviously and he didnt even know that you even have a new passport ? Just matching our situations so that I have a peace of mind that you and I have the same situation and there wont be any unexpected surprises at the interview.

Many thanks!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
ingegarcia said:
This happened to me ... I got a new passport 6-months before I got my interview and I travelled outside Canada. For the interview I took all my passports and during the interview the officer could not find one of the entries/exists in my older passports so I show her exit/entry in my new passport and she took copies of it and attached them to my file.

I suppose that your new passport was outside the range of 4 years relevant period, correct? If yes, why did the officer consider the entry/exits on new passport?

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shahmad said:
Hi,

Please advise.
your good, if they need it (new one), they will ask for it