+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport References???

miles1203

Oct 29, 2015
I'm just wondering if I can use my previous employer as a reference but they live in US and Dubai? Is it ok to give references who does not live here in Canada? Thanks!

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Under normal circumstances CIC dont even contact the references but you have to give name, address and phone no. of your references. If you provide outside canada addresses of your references then it might ring alarm bells causing unnecessary delay and further investigation. I would suggest to find 2 persons living inside canada even in different provinces.

miles1203

Oct 29, 2015
shahmad said:
Under normal circumstances CIC dont even contact the references but you have to give name, address and phone no. of your references. If you provide outside canada addresses of your references then it might ring alarm bells causing unnecessary delay and further investigation. I would suggest to find 2 persons living inside canada even in different provinces.
Thanks!

mehtapr

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
miles1203 said:
I'm just wondering if I can use my previous employer as a reference but they live in US and Dubai? Is it ok to give references who does not live here in Canada? Thanks!
Yes you can , but as advised above much better to find someone in Canada and avoid any possible red flags. your landlord, colleague, friend anything except family is fine.

ddavidd1

Star Member
May 26, 2018
Hi all,
In regards to references required on passport application,

1) Does anyone have an idea of the questions asked by the passport office to references

2) Any idea on how long this question session will take?
(my references will be at work and want to know)

3) Do these references have to be Canadian Citizens or PR status is ok, although living here for more than 10yrs

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers