Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
Hi All,

My Passport contains my Name in the below format -

Given name: MAYANK KUMAR

Surname: <Blank>

While filling the online application form, I have filled my name in below format after getting the confirmation from Admission Department

Given name/First name: MAYANK KUMAR

Last Name/Family Name/ Surname: '_'

In some University like Ottawa, my Application could not get processed because I did not enter anything in the Last Name/Family Name/ Surname, so after having a discussion with them, they suggested to change it like this

Given name/First name: MAYANK

Last Name/Family Name/ Surname: KUMAR

This is what they posted as reply -

"Since a last name must be entered in order to transfer your application in our database we will enter Kumar. Please note that the official offer of admission will be issued with your full name Mayank Kumar.

We have also contacted the Embassy of India here in Ottawa concerning this issue and they confirm that in order to obtain a student visa and be able to enter Canada you must have your complete name on your Passport (First name and last name). I may suggest that you start the process to have your full name appear on your passport to avoid problems in the Fall."

So guys, Kindly suggest whatever your understanding is over this issue as I have searched over the net and found that it is pretty common thing and occurs to many Applicants and they don't face any problem in Visa Processing or PR Application etc in Canada.

Please read the above content again and reply with the best of your knowledge that should I proceed further to adjust the name on my Passport ???

The only glitch here is Time Constraint as I have to got to my Home town ( Permanent Address ) for the furtherprocessing. Currently I am working in Mumbai, India.

If there is any alternate quickest and viable option available to you guys for Passport Re-issue, Please respond but I am expecting that I don't need to change anything in my Passport and hope that current format of Name will be acceptable by CIC/VFS/Visa officers etc

Note: In all my Academic Documents and Birth Certificate my name is MAYANK KUMAR

ValientNine

Jan 28, 2013
The best place isnt here. You might want to directly talk to VFS and yes a legal last name is very important. Best people to talk to about this would be CHC or VFS. Call them up and ask, there no need to go.

prathapg86

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@mayank -Try the online application for name change (googl and try the FAQ's)and probably ur dads name should be the last name if there is no sur/family name is mentioned... Even I have my dads name in the surname field but given name is my complete full Name - Arun Prathap ...Do check that... and try contacting some local passport agency to get the first hand information and decide...

May be others can help you with different alternative ideas...

ATB....

Thanks,
Prathap

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

mayank_6 said:
Hi All,

My Passport contains my Name in the below format -

Given name: MAYANK KUMAR

Surname: <Blank>

While filling the online application form, I have filled my name in below format after getting the confirmation from Admission Department

Given name/First name: MAYANK KUMAR

Last Name/Family Name/ Surname: '_'

In some University like Ottawa, my Application could not get processed because I did not enter anything in the Last Name/Family Name/ Surname, so after having a discussion with them, they suggested to change it like this

Given name/First name: MAYANK

Last Name/Family Name/ Surname: KUMAR

This is what they posted as reply -

"Since a last name must be entered in order to transfer your application in our database we will enter Kumar. Please note that the official offer of admission will be issued with your full name Mayank Kumar.

We have also contacted the Embassy of India here in Ottawa concerning this issue and they confirm that in order to obtain a student visa and be able to enter Canada you must have your complete name on your Passport (First name and last name). I may suggest that you start the process to have your full name appear on your passport to avoid problems in the Fall."

So guys, Kindly suggest whatever your understanding is over this issue as I have searched over the net and found that it is pretty common thing and occurs to many Applicants and they don't face any problem in Visa Processing or PR Application etc in Canada.

Please read the above content again and reply with the best of your knowledge that should I proceed further to adjust the name on my Passport ???

The only glitch here is Time Constraint as I have to got to my Home town ( Permanent Address ) for the furtherprocessing. Currently I am working in Mumbai, India.

If there is any alternate quickest and viable option available to you guys for Passport Re-issue, Please respond but I am expecting that I don't need to change anything in my Passport and hope that current format of Name will be acceptable by CIC/VFS/Visa officers etc

Note: In all my Academic Documents and Birth Certificate my name is MAYANK KUMAR

1. I do not see any big issue here, you can write 'kumar' as your surname since you do not intend to add extra word, otherwise passport reissue (under tatkal/Rs. 2500/within 3 working days) is the only option.

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
then what about my IELTS Score card ??? It needs to get reissued again as per my passport because it also contains no Surname.
I have to send the IELTS Score card again to all the 4 universities in which i have submitted my docs .

VFS is saying that as per the CHC guidelines, whiling filing the Visa application form, if Last name/Surname is blank in Passport then whatever present in Given Name same should be replicated to Last name in the application form.

Now tell me still I am required to make changes in the Passport as I am not the first student who do not have Last name/surname in Passport

ValientNine

Jan 28, 2013
Well if VFS says it.. Then your all good... Just apply like that... but it would be better to have it sorted on the passport in my opinion

As for IELTS, there is no need to change anything... Moving your surname around doesnt VOID the IELTS results.. Just let those be as it is...

Change the passport if possible, again if VFS says ok.. Go ahead...

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
I CONFIRMED FROM PASSPORT OFFICE AND SINCE IT IS Name change so they can not process it/Re-issue under TATKAL..I have to do it in normal process which is pretty time consuming.

I am dropping a mail to CHC also...lets wait for their reply

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
I don't know how things are working now in India but this is what happened to a friend of mine who had the same issue:

he entered his first name and last name irrespective of the passport...he got the visa and study permit with the way he entered the name because CHC knows this issue happens in India...it's your luck...most of the visa officers are easy going with this part...

my friend came to canada and then renewed his study permit doing the same thing as he did at the time of application in India...he got his study permit with his whole name in the last name...on calling CIC they said that they cannot leave the surname blank and hence transferred his whole name to surname and he was left without a first name...

after that my friend applied for post graduation work permit and he entered the first name and last name again irrespective of the passport...CIC issued him the work permit the way he entered his name......

bottomline if you don't have time to apply for new passport just go with whatever you have and it's a stupid thing to do but enter the name in first name and last name...at most what they will do is put your whole name in Surname...if you can get your passport changed then I would strongly suggest get it changed..

gsriharsh

Star Member
Jun 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-08-2013
Nomination.....
PER:06-11-2013
AOR Received.
3-1-14
Med's Request
18-2-14
Med's Done....
23-2-14
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
18-2-14
VISA ISSUED...
6.3.14....DM on 9.3.14
Did you get your name changed Mayank??

How many days did it take for you to get the passport ressiued?? I m having the same problem....:(
Got to know it only during IELTS exam...!!

And do you have both the passports (old and new) with you now??!!

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
yes i hv both the passport...

i got in 2-3 days under Tatkal mode.... not a big problem....got to Pasport seva kendra and get it done