+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport from OUTSIDE of Canada

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Hi

I just thought I'd ask if anyone had ACTUALLY applied for a new passport outside of Canada and how that experience went.

Thanks
Dal

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
Anyone able to assist or shed any light on this for me? Thanks
It should be straight forward. Contact the nearest Embassy/Consulate and they will let you know.
Basically, pay the fees online, then submit your application in-person or by mail (Depends on the embassy).
Make sure to use the correct passport form.

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
Hi

I just thought I'd ask if anyone had ACTUALLY applied for a new passport outside of Canada and how that experience went.

Thanks
Dal
If you are in the USA, you still need to mail all documents to Canada. If not, contact your country's Canadian mission.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
It should be straight forward. Contact the nearest Embassy/Consulate and they will let you know.
Basically, pay the fees online, then submit your application in-person or by mail (Depends on the embassy).
Make sure to use the correct passport form.
I think my main concern was around guarantors and references really, I've read the pages on multiple occasions but I think speaking to or getting the experience of someone who's actually done it helps massively.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
If you are in the USA, you still need to mail all documents to Canada. If not, contact your country's Canadian mission.
Country's mission? You mean the Canadian embassy I assume? And I'll be applying from the UK which is where I am currently on a temp basis.

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
I think my main concern was around guarantors and references really, I've read the pages on multiple occasions but I think speaking to or getting the experience of someone who's actually done it helps massively.
the only difference between applying in Canada and outside Canada, is that you can use a occupation-based guarantor https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#outside-canada

I will be applying soon, so I will let you know :) if you have concerns, we can help you find the correct answers from IRCC website :)

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
the only difference between applying in Canada and outside Canada, is that you can use a occupation-based guarantor https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#outside-canada

I will be applying soon, so I will let you know :) if you have concerns, we can help you find the correct answers from IRCC website :)
Will you be applying outside Canada or inside? As for the guarantor, also believe (and it's been answered here), that they can be of British Nationality as long as they are a standing pillar of the community (just my words), i.e. Police Officer, Judge etc etc.

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
Will you be applying outside Canada or inside? As for the guarantor, also believe (and it's been answered here), that they can be of British Nationality as long as they are a standing pillar of the community (just my words), i.e. Police Officer, Judge etc etc.
Outside. Everything you need to know about references and guarantors is in the link that I provided above.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Outside. Everything you need to know about references and guarantors is in the link that I provided above.
Well it'd be great if you could keep me posted, I'm still awaiting the actual cert to arrive yet....that's at home address in canada and then brother will forward to myself here in UK via courier. After that I'll then start the final (hopefully) hurdle in getting the passport.

Ese2014

Mar 11, 2018
Calgary
App. Filed.......
20-07-2018
AOR Received.
20-07-2018
IELTS Request
24-03-2018
Med's Done....
13-07-2018
Well it'd be great if you could keep me posted, I'm still awaiting the actual cert to arrive yet....that's at home address in canada and then brother will forward to myself here in UK via courier. After that I'll then start the final (hopefully) hurdle in getting the passport.
I also applied outside Canada, UK precisely.

felipeoxavier

Star Member
Jul 7, 2019

Hi guys! I may have to apply for my first Canadian passport from abroad as well, more specifically from Brazil.
I looked at this link and saw you could use occupation based guarantors, so I just wanna double check that they could be of any nationality, not necessarily Canadian citizens, correct?
Keep us posted as to how your applications are going!
Thanks!!

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Hi guys! I may have to apply for my first Canadian passport from abroad as well, more specifically from Brazil.
I looked at this link and saw you could use occupation based guarantors, so I just wanna double check that they could be of any nationality, not necessarily Canadian citizens, correct?
Keep us posted as to how your applications are going!
Thanks!!
Yes your guarantor if outside of Canada doesn't need to be a Canadian citizen