+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Expiry Before Completion of Course

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
Hi Guys,

My name is Ronit.
I have a doubt. My student VISA has been approved. But my course is till 31st Dec,2020 and my passport expires on 6th Jan,2020 that's why I have been issue visa till 5th Jan, 2020.
Can I renew my passport next year in Canada and then apply for study permit extension after that? I have heard a lot of people do this, just wanted to confirm on this whether it can be done or not.

Please let me know about this. I will leave in September and I need correct information before leaving so that I don't face much problem in future.

Thanks in advance.

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
Hi,

My main questions are :
1. Will there be any problem while entering canada? For example my offer letter will say that the course ends on 31st Dec, 2020 but my study permit will have an expiry till Jan 5, 2020. I would be easily allowed to enter, right?
2. If I renew my passport next year in Jan/Feb, then will my existing study permit still be valid (Which is issues till Jan,2020) ?
3. And then, I can ask for extension on my new renewed passport, right?

Please answer these if possible.

Thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

My main questions are :
1. Will there be any problem while entering canada? For example my offer letter will say that the course ends on 31st Dec, 2020 but my study permit will have an expiry till Jan 5, 2020. I would be easily allowed to enter, right?
2. If I renew my passport next year in Jan/Feb, then will my existing study permit still be valid (Which is issues till Jan,2020) ?
3. And then, I can ask for extension on my new renewed passport, right?

Please answer these if possible.

Thanks in advance.
1. No problem.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
1. No problem.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.
Hi canuck_in_uk,
Thanks for your reply.

Can you give a little detailed info about this.

I will tell you my case in detail : I applied for Ryerson MBA (Which starts in May, 2018 and ends in Dec, 2019). I got my VISA but it got too late and the classes have already started. I can't attend that now. I had an admit in McMaster MBA also (starts in Sep) so I changed my DLI via mycic. Now the thing is, My passport is valid till 6th Jan, 2020 that's why I have been issue study permit which is valid till 5th Jan, 2020 but the course at McMaster is till dec, 2020 . So my questions are:

1. Is this a common issue? I mean should I worry or I can apply for renewal of passport and study permit once i reach canada? I will need to apply for study permit extension right? and now new study visa?
2. Once i enter canada, should I tell the officer that I have changed my university? I have already informed IRCC but if he checks that my passport is valid only till jan, 2020 and the course is till Dec, 2020, will he create a problem?

I am overthinking I guess, but I need proper clarity on what steps should i take .

Please help me by answering these questions.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi canuck_in_uk,
Thanks for your reply.

Can you give a little detailed info about this.

I will tell you my case in detail : I applied for Ryerson MBA (Which starts in May, 2018 and ends in Dec, 2019). I got my VISA but it got too late and the classes have already started. I can't attend that now. I had an admit in McMaster MBA also (starts in Sep) so I changed my DLI via mycic. Now the thing is, My passport is valid till 6th Jan, 2020 that's why I have been issue study permit which is valid till 5th Jan, 2020 but the course at McMaster is till dec, 2020 . So my questions are:

1. Is this a common issue? I mean should I worry or I can apply for renewal of passport and study permit once i reach canada? I will need to apply for study permit extension right? and now new study visa?
2. Once i enter canada, should I tell the officer that I have changed my university? I have already informed IRCC but if he checks that my passport is valid only till jan, 2020 and the course is till Dec, 2020, will he create a problem?

I am overthinking I guess, but I need proper clarity on what steps should i take .

Please help me by answering these questions.
You are overthinking it. Come to Canada and at some point, apply for a new passport and then a study permit extension.

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
You are overthinking it. Come to Canada and at some point, apply for a new passport and then a study permit extension.
I guess you are right, I am an over thinker :)/)

One final question:
If I get my new passport in Feb, 2019 , will my study permit (which was issued on my old passport) still be valid till Jan, 2020.

This is the final doubt I have. Rest, i think you have solved all my queries. Thank you so much :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The only you have to avoid is a trip during the time everything is getting renewed, extended, etc. Allow some processing time.

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
The only you have to avoid is a trip during the time everything is getting renewed, extended, etc. Allow some processing time.
Definitely, I will make sure of that.

One additional thing, as I told you that I have changed my DLI via mycic (Transferred Ryerson DLI to McMaster's DLI) and I have got my VISA on Ryerson's offer letter. So should I tell the officer at the airport when I land, that I have changed my DLI and now I will be attending McMaster? There will not be a problem in that right? (Saying the truth)

@canuck_in_uk , you can also answer if you have an advice.

Thanks!

Adeeb1234

Jul 1, 2019
Hi Guys,

My name is Ronit.
I have a doubt. My student VISA has been approved. But my course is till 31st Dec,2020 and my passport expires on 6th Jan,2020 that's why I have been issue visa till 5th Jan, 2020.
Can I renew my passport next year in Canada and then apply for study permit extension after that? I have heard a lot of people do this, just wanted to confirm on this whether it can be done or not.

Please let me know about this. I will leave in September and I need correct information before leaving so that I don't face much problem in future.

Thanks in advance.
Hi ronit,

I am exactly in the same situation as yours ( my passport is expiring earlier n therefore visa was only given for 7months instead of 1year) and thanks to you and canuck_in_uk to justify some answers clearly to your questions. But I also have some questions as well to ask if you guys don’t mind answering.

Upon arrival in the Toronto airport, there is question asked, for the estimated time (days) in Canada I will be staying. My question is:

1. Should I exactly state the days given in my Visa or the complete duration of my course? As I am also looking to renew my passport and apply for study permit extension.

Please help. Expecting your full co-operation. Thank you

abhilasha_5

Mar 10, 2021
Hi Guys,

My name is Ronit.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Ronit. I am having the same issue right now. My passport will expire in March 2022 and I have to send my passport for Visa stamping tomorrow. My course duration is till April 2022. I am confused if there will be any problem in visa stamping or at the airport. Should I attach a letter of passport renewal request with the documents for visa stamping? Can you please explain what all steps did you take at that time?

Last edited:

abhilasha_5

Mar 10, 2021
Hi ronit,

I am exactly in the same situation as yours ( my passport is expiring earlier n therefore visa was only given for 7months instead of 1year) and thanks to you and canuck_in_uk to justify some answers clearly to your questions. But I also have some questions as well to ask if you guys don’t mind answering.

Upon arrival in the Toronto airport, there is question asked, for the estimated time (days) in Canada I will be staying. My question is:

1. Should I exactly state the days given in my Visa or the complete duration of my course? As I am also looking to renew my passport and apply for study permit extension.

Please help. Expecting your full co-operation. Thank you
Hi Adeeb,

I am having the same situation right now. Can you please explain what did you say to the officer at the airport at that time? And what would you suggest me to do?