+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport expires in 8 months

Apr 18, 2016
Hi Guys,

My wife and I are preparing our application. She is the sponsor and I'm the principal applicant. Do I need to renew my passport before submitting my application?

I don't exactly what a PR is. I was wondering if it is something like a visa that is put in my passport with an expiration date.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi Guys,

My wife and I are preparing our application. She is the sponsor and I'm the principal applicant. Do I need to renew my passport before submitting my application?

I don't exactly what a PR is. I was wondering if it is something like a visa that is put in my passport with an expiration date.
While it is not essential, I would recommend you renew you passport before sending the application in.

PR = Permanent Residence - VERY different from a visa (although depending on what country you (whether it is 'visa exempt' for Canada or not) are from, you may have a visa for your PR trip to Canada fixed to your passport as well as a CoPR!

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........
Hi Guys,

My PA's passport was expiring in 2021 and we submitted that one for the PR application, The PA renewed the passport about 2 months after and the PA submitted the new one through webform and the PA also faxed it to CPC-Mississauga with a cover letter explaining the changes. I would just send what you have now and add a cover letter explaining that you are in the process of renewing the passport, and when you get your new passport just do what I mentioned and you will not have any issues.

Last edited: