+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport expires BEFORE work permit

ss666

Apr 1, 2020
Hi there,

We are in a weird situation where my partner was given a work permit which was longer than his passport (lucky mistake by the officer). His passport expires in May, and I have read that in order to keep a valid work permit (which won't expire until July 2021) he needs to report his passport as lost/stolen to the police. Only then would be he able to get a replacement work permit with his new passport number attached. Is this correct info? Has anyone else experienced this?? Any help would be amazing. As this is an anomaly there isn't much advice online. Everyone just said 'it shouldn't be the same length..'

Many thanks in advance!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi there,

We are in a weird situation where my partner was given a work permit which was longer than his passport (lucky mistake by the officer). His passport expires in May, and I have read that in order to keep a valid work permit (which won't expire until July 2021) he needs to report his passport as lost/stolen to the police. Only then would be he able to get a replacement work permit with his new passport number attached. Is this correct info? Has anyone else experienced this?? Any help would be amazing. As this is an anomaly there isn't much advice online. Everyone just said 'it shouldn't be the same length..'

Many thanks in advance!!
1. He got luck
2. Why doesn't he just apply for a new passport? That would be the easy solution.
3. Immaterial what passport number is on the work permit.

drajpoot

Champion Member
Aug 4, 2014

Many thanks in advance!!
[/QUOTE]

Its not weird situation, it can be possible. However expiry of work permit is always linked to expiry of passport so the day your passport will expire, your work permit will also expire and in this case you have to apply to extend your work permit.

Thanks
D

ss666

Apr 1, 2020

Many thanks in advance!!
Its not weird situation, it can be possible. However expiry of work permit is always linked to expiry of passport so the day your passport will expire, your work permit will also expire and in this case you have to apply to extend your work permit.

Thanks
D
[/QUOTE

Thanks for your reply. But the expiry date on his work permit is July 2021, so in theory if he has a new passport (due to it being lost..) it would still be valid right?

drajpoot

Champion Member
Aug 4, 2014

Thanks
D
[/QUOTE

Thanks for your reply. But the expiry date on his work permit is July 2021, so in theory if he has a new passport (due to it being lost..) it would still be valid right?
No. they always have passport details on file and as per that work permit is expired.
Please see the following link. its on CIC website.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1410

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

I get that. But if we apply for a new passport and report the old one lost/stolen, then apply for a replacement work permit with the new passport number- do you think that would work?
1. Don't bother, your passport wasn't lost or stolen, if you try that, they will want to see a police report. Just renew or get a new passport.
2. The passport number is pretty immaterial as your name/dob or the UCI number are what CIC searches on.

drajpoot

Champion Member
Aug 4, 2014
I get that. But if we apply for a new passport and report the old one lost/stolen, then apply for a replacement work permit with the new passport number- do you think that would work?
Like I said this is not something happening first time, CIC already aware of this situation and there is a process in place. I do not understand why are you so much interested to lost your passport rather than going in right way.

-D.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You are making this beyond complicated for no reason. Don't lie about losing a passport. As PMM said, just apply for a new passport as normal. You don't apply for a replacement work permit, as the passport number on the work permit doesn't matter.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

drajpoot

Champion Member
Aug 4, 2014
That applies when work permits are correctly issued only to passport expiry. CBSA made a mistake and gave a permit valid for longer and it remains valid until expiry.
If work permit is correctly issued statement should not be like that -
The expiry date on your work permit is linked to the expiry on your passport. If you got a new passport because your old one was expiring, then your work permit will also expire at the same time. In this case, you need to apply to extend your work permit to keep working in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If work permit is correctly issued statement should not be like that -
The expiry date on your work permit is linked to the expiry on your passport. If you got a new passport because your old one was expiring, then your work permit will also expire at the same time. In this case, you need to apply to extend your work permit to keep working in Canada.
Sigh. The work permit remains valid. Here is immigration law:

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-38.html#docCont

Authorized period ends

(4) The period authorized for a temporary resident’s stay ends on the earliest of

• (a) the day on which the temporary resident leaves Canada without obtaining prior authorization to re-enter Canada;
  • (b) the day on which their permit becomes invalid, in the case of a temporary resident who has been issued either a work permit or a study permit;
  • (b.1) the day on which the second of their permits becomes invalid, in the case of a temporary resident who has been issued a work permit and a study permit;
  • (c) the day on which any temporary resident permit issued to the temporary resident is no longer valid under section 63;
  • (c.1) in the case of a person who is required by section 10.01 of the Act to provide their biometric information, the day on which the period of 10 years following the latest day on which the person provided their biometric information under section 10.01 of the Act ends; or
  • (d) the day on which the period authorized under subsection (2) ends, if paragraphs (a) to (c) do not apply.

Reactions: AfricanGiant912