+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Copies

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
Hello, I just made my citizenship application today but I have a question mark after sending my package;

I am using my new passport last 2 years and I made the copy of the pages for cic. Do I also have to make a copy of old passport? What happens if I just sent copies of the previous passport ?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Silver77 said:
Hello, I just made my citizenship application today but I have a question mark after sending my package;

I am using my new passport last 2 years and I made the copy of the pages for cic. Do I also have to make a copy of old passport? What happens if I just sent copies of the previous passport ?
You are required to send biographical pages of all passport/s be they valid or expired covering the 4 year qualifying residence period. CIC will either:

1. mail your application back as incomplete,

2. accept it, load on ecas and several months later ask in writing for the missing biographical pages,

3. accept it, load on ecas and RQ you.

1 is the most likely (and best) option subject to you remaining in Canada if you applied at day 1096 or having a cushion of enough days (I'd say 100) if you left at day 1096 post applying. This is because for a returned application your 4 year window will have moved by the number of days CIC takes to mail your application back. The instruction guide is very clear as to supporting documents requirements. It also states that if a document is not available for you to write this with the reason why.

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
This is really bad.I just send it today and missed that part of explanation. I have the old passport but didint copy it.

I didint understand your explanation about the days.I made my application after 1120 days so more days.

What happened if I mail my old passport pages separately?

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sending additional document, i.e. old passport copies, at this point will be a bad idea, actually of no use since there will be no file to refer to.

Silver77 said:
This is really bad.I just send it today and missed that part of explanation. I have the old passport but didint copy it.

I didint understand your explanation about the days.I made my application after 1120 days so more days.

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
2. accept it, load on ecas and several months later ask in writing for the missing biographical pages,

I prefer second option. it means CIC accept my application and asking for missing documents.

andrewka

Oct 15, 2012
gta-local said:
Where exactly it is mentioned to send pages from multiple pasports?
In instruction guide.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp#CIT0002E4

3. Biographical page of Passport(s)/Travel Document(s)

The biographical page means the page where it has your name, photo, passport/travel document no., issue date and expiration date.

Provide photocopies of the biographical pages of all passports and/or travel documents (valid and cancelled) for the relevant four (4) year period immediately preceding the date of your application,

Also, provide photocopies of any renewal pages of the passport(s)/travel document(s).

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Silver77 said:

If CIC return application as incomplete then you have to re-submit it. There is a 50-60 days timeline to return the incomplete application. Add say 5 days for you to resubmit. It means your 4 year window has moved forward 65 days. If you applied on day 1096 and left Canada you have to return and get the 65 days back. If you had absences in Year 1 of the 4 year period then you could end up having to wait significantly more than 65 days to get back to 1095.

Silver77 said:

I prefer second option. it means CIC accept my application and asking for missing documents.
This is the least likely option because its an unnecessary use of resource. CIC have made clear guidelines and its not their job to fix it for you. Also they may write to, you get the documents then RQ you anyway. The 65 days lost from a return of an incomplete application is insignificant compared to delay in timeline for RQ...35 mths non routine less 25 month routine...if they decide to send it to a complete Judge hearing even more time. I'd rather have a clean slate but this is usually influenced by your day count and position in the 4 year window. In short option 1 is on paper the best.

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
'If you had absences in Year 1 of the 4 year period ' what is that means?

I am still at Canada and following my application. I have about 6 months absences last 4 year.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have significant shortfall physical days in year 1 then the qualifying window moves significantly. Wait for the application to be returned if that is what happens then re-apply - the residence calculator will work out the 1095th day for you.

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
I have 2 months absence in year 1 .If my application returns me in 2 month and I will reapply. My qualifying window move about another 2 months. I will continue to stay in Canada.

I dont understand what is threat in my case?