+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Application Questions re . documents

dalton

Apr 5, 2010
So after the excitement of getting my citizenship last week and believing all stress and paperwork is behind me. I'm now back as confused as ever. First off is the fact I have to send off my new cert. of citizenship, seems a little crazy / risky to be honest.

Next getting a signature of someone I know for two years as a Guarantor, its just an extra favour I have to ask (most people I meet day to day are just under the two years due to me moving about.

The next and most confusing part is the Documents to Support Identity, I found this link online that gives a bit more info but its not really clear what the want or what a document is? http://www.passport.gc.ca/info/section5.aspx?lang=eng

Provincial or territorial (or equivalent abroad) driver's licence
Provincial or territorial non-driver's licence
Other federal, provincial or territorial identification card
Military identification
Certificate of Indian Status
Federal, provincial or territorial employee identification card
Canadian passport
Foreign passport that meets the requirements

Is a photocopy of my BC Driving Licence a document or do they want the card? I can't give my driving licence as I need it for work. Is "a non-driver's licence" a provincial id like the BCID?

I'd rather not send of my other birth country passport either.

And then there is references, can these be non Canadian citizens, do they need to meet the two years of knowing me requirement?

shaig

Feb 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Dalton,

Congrats on reaching the end of this journey! :)

I do agree about sending the original citizenship certificate but there's no way around that. If there's a passport canada office near you, I'd apply in person and pick it up once it's done just to get the peace of mind from the mail-gone-wrong scenario. Otherwise, don't send by regular mail, make sure it's registered.

For the documents to support identity, you can submit photocopies, both sides of it, and make sure your guarantor signs and dates them. So yes you can photocopy your driver's licence.

As it's written on the site: “If you are submitting photocopies, you must copy both sides of the document and have your guarantor sign and date the photocopies (both sides) to indicate the originals have been seen.”

Your references can't be family members or your guarantor. And yes you need to have known them for 2 years too. They don't need to be Canadian citizens however.

If you REALLY can't find a guarantor, you can apply for a "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" from passport canada but I honestly just suggest making your life easier and finding a guarantor.

Hope that helps!

dalton

Apr 5, 2010
Thank you for your response, sorry if I asked some questions that had the answers in the link. I'm very lucky to have come this far but thought it was all over last week. As all of you know it will be nice to see the back of the paperwork. I feel I have completed forms regarding where I have lived an dates I changed jobs so much over the last few years...

If you apply in person do you pay the additional fee at the counter or do you need to add it to the application fee you enter on the document? I'm guessing you still need to send it away, its not as if the person at the counter can approve they say it?

Last question, I plan on using my BC Driving Licence but the address is out of date, I move over a month ago and am waiting on a sicker. Could this be a problem? Address isn't on of the pieces they are looking for.

Thank you

shaig

Feb 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Understandly so, but you have reached the end of the process so you should just be happy and thankful about that and not annoyed about the passport application. We all have to go through this whole long, tiring process of paperwork, some have it worse than others, and so many wish to be in your spot right now.

In regards to pick up, yes there's a fee, considering this would be a standard pick-up, the fee would be an additional 20$. Which is not bad at all considering you would be paying for registered mail anyway. If you're going to do this, then I would suggest paying the passport fee plus this fee altogether at their office. You can pay by credit card or debit. You drop off your application, pay and then they call you when it's ready and you go pick it up. All this info is on the same link you posted, just go to processing times.

As for your driver's license address, I'm not sure, but I would assume it wouldn't be an issue since address isn't on the list of requirements for the document. Although if you're receiving the sticker soon, maybe just wait to have it to avoid any possible hassle.