+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport application during Covid-19 pandemic

Sam8119

Aug 26, 2016
Hi guys, I need your expert wisdom on how to apply for a passport when you received your citizenship certificate. Have any of you been successfully able to apply for a passport (i believe only online) and get it by mail? It is a unique situation when they take away the PR card and then there is no passport in hand, should an essential/ emergency travel requirement come calling. Also, some of us might have to surrender the other passport we have if dual nationality is not supported. I am also wondering how you guys are coping with that. Thanks a lot in advance guys!-Sam

lexxy

Jan 14, 2016
Visa Office......
cpc-mississauga
App. Filed.......
28 nov 2014
AOR Received.
6 feb 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront..20 jan 2016
LANDED..........
8 july 2016
Hi guys, I need your expert wisdom on how to apply for a passport when you received your citizenship certificate. Have any of you been successfully able to apply for a passport (i believe only online) and get it by mail? It is a unique situation when they take away the PR card and then there is no passport in hand, should an essential/ emergency travel requirement come calling. Also, some of us might have to surrender the other passport we have if dual nationality is not supported. I am also wondering how you guys are coping with that. Thanks a lot in advance guys!-Sam
I was supposed to get my passport in the mail as of march 27th, I applied for it as if March 13th and up till this moment I haven’t gotten my passport guess due to the lock down.. presently i have no plans to travel anywhere but I really wish to have the passport In hand.. my waiting still continues. .

Reactions: Sam8119

Sam8119

Aug 26, 2016
I was supposed to get my passport in the mail as of march 27th, I applied for it as if March 13th and up till this moment I haven’t gotten my passport guess due to the lock down.. presently i have no plans to travel anywhere but I really wish to have the passport In hand.. my waiting still continues. .
Thanks for the update Lexxy, I was just wondering if they are accepting passport applications now online. I might need the passport sooner and wish I could do that!

lexxy

Jan 14, 2016
Visa Office......
cpc-mississauga
App. Filed.......
28 nov 2014
AOR Received.
6 feb 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront..20 jan 2016
LANDED..........
8 july 2016
Thanks for the update Lexxy, I was just wondering if they are accepting passport applications now online. I might need the passport sooner and wish I could do that!
I’m not too sure if you can apply but I guess you should probably be able to apply if you have urgent reason to travel based on there website.

aj1997

Star Member
Nov 13, 2018
Kitchener
Passport Canada has suspended its services until further notice. However, if you have a valid reason to travel urgently, limited urgent passport services are available.

Urgent travel reasons include if you’re travelling

• for a medical reason because you have a serious illness
  • because of the serious illness or death of someone you know
  • because you’ll have financial problems from the loss of a job or business
  • to support an essential service
  • for humanitarian reasons
    • You need a letter from your organization that lists the humanitarian reasons.
To apply urgently, complete the online form to get a call back, or call the Service Canada Passport Call Centre directly at 1-800-567-6868.

Source

mary_27

Sep 20, 2015
Hi everyone,

With more and more virtual oath ceremonies happening, I was wondering if anyone who recently took their virtual oath, has applied for their passport.
If you have recently asked IRCC about passport application through a call/email or during your oath ceremony Zoom, could you please share what you were told?

Thanks

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
I was supposed to receive my passport on 30-Mar-2020
But, the office closed before that, so the passport is printed and ready to be mailed out, i have a canada post tracking also.

As soon as the office opens, i guess it will be mailed out, if you need it urgently you will have to contact the passport office with proof etc.

Hope this helps.

regards

mary_27

Sep 20, 2015
I was supposed to receive my passport on 30-Mar-2020
But, the office closed before that, so the passport is printed and ready to be mailed out, i have a canada post tracking also.

As soon as the office opens, i guess it will be mailed out, if you need it urgently you will have to contact the passport office with proof etc.

Hope this helps.

regards
Thanks for your reply. Ok so I suppose you submitted your passport application before the pandemic and the related office closures had begun.
I'm wondering how people apply now that the offices are closed. Is there an online system in place?

mary_27

Sep 20, 2015
Thanks. The problem is that their urgency conditions are a bit extreme and I don't fit in any of that, yet it's still personally very important reason for me to travel. :(
I was hoping that considering covid slowing down and lots of re-openings already happening in different contexts, maybe the passport offices open up as well within a month or less. I wanted to know if anyone has asked IRCC about that to have a more precise answer than what their website mentions.

aj1997

Star Member
Nov 13, 2018
Kitchener
Thanks. The problem is that their urgency conditions are a bit extreme and I don't fit in any of that, yet it's still personally very important reason for me to travel. :(
I was hoping that considering covid slowing down and lots of re-openings already happening in different contexts, maybe the passport offices open up as well within a month or less. I wanted to know if anyone has asked IRCC about that to have a more precise answer than what their website mentions.

Yes, many people have asked them(Passport Canada) precisely on Twitter. But they give a standard response along the lines of "all passport services, including mail-in service, are suspended until further notice. Please wait until services resume before submitting your passport application." everytime. You can checkout their Twitter handle: https://twitter.com/PassportCan/with_replies

mary_27

Sep 20, 2015
Yes, many people have asked them(Passport Canada) precisely on Twitter. But they give a standard response along the lines of "all passport services, including mail-in service, are suspended until further notice. Please wait until services resume before submitting your passport application." everytime. You can checkout their Twitter handle: https://twitter.com/PassportCan/with_replies
I see, thanks a lot for sharing the Twitter handle. I'll keep an eye on that.

aj1997

Star Member
Nov 13, 2018
Kitchener
I see, thanks a lot for sharing the Twitter handle. I'll keep an eye on that.
Just wanted to let you know that I had applied for a passport application on March 16th(2 days before it was shut down due to COVID-19) and I received my passport in the mail today. Looks like they have started processing applications that were already submitted and may begin reopening very soon.

Sam8119

Aug 26, 2016
Just wanted to let you know that I had applied for a passport application on March 16th(2 days before it was shut down due to COVID-19) and I received my passport in the mail today. Looks like they have started processing applications that were already submitted and may begin reopening very soon.
Thanks!