Pennywise101

Star Member
Jan 12, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Paris
Yes even after we received the interview letter our GC Key still says “You do not need an interview, we will send you a message if this changes”. The interview is not for another 7.5 weeks. We had also applied in the past for a tourist visa and got rejected, I wanted him to meet my family before anything. Ofcourse it didn’t happen that way, they just make everything extremely difficult and then question you about the authenticity of your marriage afterwards. So sad...
It's a very difficult situation. I work full time, he works and I only get three weeks paid vacation per year. It is less strict with his employer, so when I go to Algeria to visit my husband, it's during these weeks that my company allows. Yes, immigration question the authenticity of the marriage, but I wonder if they take into consideration the fact that as Canadians, we have jobs, which is needed to sponsor our spouse in the first place, the time difference for face time calls is a challenge and when we are visiting our spouse, we are also visiting other family members. We have "two" failed tourist visa requests, which they are aware of, from a few years ago, so they can see how long we have been together. :rolleyes:

We have Face time calls, Facebook, Instagram, plane tickets, letters from mutual friends, money transfers, gifts, vacations, engagement and wedding photo's with family and friends, Western Union money transfers, he is on my work insurance and he isn't even here yet. LOL o_O plus, I have let Canada Revenue know that I am married.

If they do not believe the authenticity of our marriage, I will be absolutely shocked.

I hope your interview goes well.

Last edited:
Reactions: CANA2000

CANA2000

Oct 21, 2018
It's a very difficult situation. I work full time, he works and I only get three weeks paid vacation per year. It is less strict with his employer, so when I go to Algeria to visit my husband, it's during these weeks that my company allows. Yes, immigration question the authenticity of the marriage, but I wonder if they take into consideration the fact that as Canadians, we have jobs, which is needed to sponsor our spouse in the first place, the time difference for face time calls is a challenge and when we are visiting our spouse, we are also visiting other family members. We have "two" failed tourist visa requests, which they are aware of, from a few years ago, so they can see how long we have been together. :rolleyes:

We have Face time calls, Facebook, Instagram, plane tickets, letters from mutual friends, money transfers, gifts, vacations, engagement and wedding photo's with family and friends, Western Union money transfers, he is on my work insurance and he isn't even here yet. LOL o_O plus, I have let Canada Revenue know that I am married.

If they do not believe the authenticity of our marriage, I will be absolutely shocked.

I hope your interview goes well.
I feel your situation. I also am only allowed 3 weeks vacation a year and am only allowed to take 3 weeks at once with the approval of my manager otherwise its only 2 weeks I am allowed to take at a time at the most. There are a bunch of rules following vacation at my job. We have a email from my manager to prove that, when I requested to take time off. Also both our family situations are complicated. He doesn’t have a big family or many friends, I myself have alot of responsibilities to have a life of friends and am closest to my mom in my family. So they want wedding photos but how to present them with family and friends when we couldn’t even plan accordingly with all the restrictions on Canadians with jobs - vacation, tourist visa restrictions - rejected, even to travel to Algeria I need a visa. I couldn’t travel there because my vacation was limited to 3 weeks and approved within 2 weeks time of my travel therefore we had to marry in Tunisia because its faster than marrying in Algeria and I couldn’t stay longer so we didn’t want to risk my losing my job. We were running around making last minute arrangements. There are so many obstacles. Especially its not the norm for muslims to date, its the norm to marriage after talking a few times especially not face to face unless you are not alone together... I just pray it all goes well, we are both praying...

Last edited:

CANA2000

Oct 21, 2018
Can I ask you, when did you apply? We applied on May 1st, 2018 and we still have not received a pre-arrival letter. 8 months have almost passed and we still are not sure if my husband has passed the eligibility stage, not that this means anything anymore, :confused: because I see people who pass the eligibility stage, but still get called in for an interview.

We have accepted that my husband will be interviewed, because he is from North Africa. Getting a tourist visa is incredibly difficult, so PR will be even more difficult, for sure. :(
You still haven’t received your pre-arrival? I don’t even know if that means anything anymore or even if we married to Algerian spouse are meant to get it since maybe a number of Algerian PR applicants require the interview nonetheless. My husband and I are being positive about it thinking that its protocol for Algerians.

You never know with what you described on your relationship proof, you may not need an interview and go straight from background check to pre-arrival to PPR. From your description of your proof of relationship it seems you have an abundance so I couldn’t see why the interview would be required for your case unless it is a protocol for Algerian spouses as we mentioned.

Last edited:

Pennywise101

Star Member
Jan 12, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Paris
I feel your situation. I also am only allowed 3 weeks vacation a year and am only allowed to take 3 weeks at once with the approval of my manager otherwise its only 2 weeks I am allowed to take at a time at the most. There are a bunch of rules following vacation at my job. We have a email from my manager to prove that, when I requested to take time off. Also both our family situations are complicated. He doesn’t have a big family or many friends, I myself am have alot of responsibilities to have a life of friends and am closest to my mom in my family. So they want wedding photos but how to present them with family and friends when we couldn’t even plan accordingly with all the restrictions on Canadians with jobs - vacation, tourist visa restrictions - rejected, even to travel to Algeria I need a visa. I couldn’t travel there because my vacation was limited to 3 weeks and approved within 2 weeks time of my travel therefore we had to marry in Tunisia because its faster than marrying in Algeria and I couldn’t stay longer so we didn’t want to risk my losing my job. We were running around making last minute arrangements. There are so many obstacles. Especially its not the norm for muslims to date, its the norm to marriage after talking a few times especially not face to face unless you are not alone together... I just pray it all goes well, we are both praying...
It's so nice to be able to relate to someone about this as it's been a long and difficult road to build our lives together. I can absolutely relate to what you are going through. I actually took on contract jobs, so that I could travel to Algeria, after our tourist visa's were rejected. Now I am back in a permanent position, but there was a time where my jobs ended at certain periods, so that I could go to him. I made this decision, which was a financial gamble, because I felt like we had no other choice. We had been talking in secret for some time and then his family/"sister" specifically, figured things out, so he had to tell his family about us.

Those were "interesting" times. LOL. :D Our families actually met through "face-time". :) Can you imagine? At this point, everyone knew that the tourist visa's had been rejected, so we planned for me to visit there. It was a very awkward situation, as we were staying under the same roof, but different area's of the home. As you know this is taboo. I stayed for 27 days the very first time and was immersed in the culture and got a clear idea of what challenges were ahead of us.

I adore his family and friends. They took me in as one of them. Mashallah While there I knew he was the man for me and our families would blend well. It was not a difficult realization. I agreed that we would marry and then we started the long process. There was a lot to do on both of our sides, to make the marriage happen in Algeria. It's not easy to make it all happen there, as you know. It's a very long process as I am sure you know. I needed permission to marry him there, so there was also another visit there to start the paper work. We had to go to the police station and apply for the marriage license, which took months to receive. I also had to apply here in Ottawa and get permission to marry him there!!!!

My husband had to plan the entire wedding on his own. Reserve the hall, dining/food, send out wedding invitations, decorate, etc. (the women in the family helped) :D As for our wedding, initially men and women were separated, in the wedding hall, but at the end of the night, my husband made an allowance for me, "could not imagine a wedding where men and women could not celebrate together" and the "younger" guests were able to mingle and dance at the end. Can you imagine, "men and women were together!!! They forgave me, because I am the crazy foreigner. LOL My husband comes from a pretty conservative area, so this was very odd and not the norm. Anyways, it was a "different" wedding for them and I think everyone had a great time!!! I might have even introduced men and women to each other and opened some marriage potential for others. :D I was very proud of my husband for putting all that together. We had about 200 guests. All I had to do was show up.

I too am praying that it all goes well during our interview, the thought that they think our marriage is a sham, will be truly devastating. :(

Last edited:

Pennywise101

Star Member
Jan 12, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Paris
You still haven’t received your pre-arrival? I don’t even know if that means anything anymore or even if we married to Algerian spouse are meant to get it since maybe a number of Algerian PR applicants require the interview nonetheless. My husband and I are being positive about it thinking that its protocol for Algerians.

You never know with what you described on your relationship proof, you may not need an interview and go straight from background check to pre-arrival to PPR. From your description of your proof of relationship it seems you have an abundance so I couldn’t see why the interview would be required for your case unless it is a protocol for Algerian spouses as we mentioned.
I think it's protocol. Either way, we are ready for them! :D Good news, bad news, bring it on.

Pennywise101

Star Member
Jan 12, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Paris

And yes, we still have not received pre-arrival. :rolleyes:

I ordered our GCMS notes in September and at that point the report shows that not very much had started. Sponsorship approved and medicals approved, but eligibility not start, nor criminal or security check. Application had been transferred to Paris VO.

But..... what is VERY interesting is, "someone" had already contacted his University to check on him and the police station in Algiers contacted the police station in his town to request a report on him before I requested the GCMS notes. Yet, in his GCMS notes it showed, "NOTHING STARTED". I found that very odd, which made me think, can we believe these notes? Who and why was his former University contacted and why was the Algiers police department contacting his local police department. As you can tell, he lives in a small town, so it's not difficult to get news through the grape vine. I guess some of the police officers found it odd that the Algiers police would be asking questions about him, so it got people talking, and that is how my husband found out about the police inquiry. His friend works at the University, so that is how he found out about that. His friend called him and told him people made an inquiry about him.

CANA2000

Oct 21, 2018
It's so nice to be able to relate to someone about this as it's been a long and difficult road to build our lives together. I can absolutely relate to what you are going through. I actually took on contract jobs, so that I could travel to Algeria, after our tourist visa's were rejected. Now I am back in a permanent position, but there was a time where my jobs ended at certain periods, so that I could go to him. I made this decision, which was a financial gamble, because I felt like we had no other choice. We had been talking in secret for some time and then his family/"sister" specifically, figured things out, so he had to tell his family about us.

Those were "interesting" times. LOL. :D Our families actually met through "face-time". :) Can you imagine? At this point, everyone knew that the tourist visa's had been rejected, so we planned for me to visit there. It was a very awkward situation, as we were staying under the same roof, but different area's of the home. As you know this is taboo. I stayed for 27 days the very first time and was immersed in the culture and got a clear idea of what challenges were ahead of us.

I adore his family and friends. They took me in as one of them. Mashallah While there I knew he was the man for me and our families would blend well. It was not a difficult realization. I agreed that we would marry and then we started the long process. There was a lot to do on both of our sides, to make the marriage happen in Algeria. It's not easy to make it all happen there, as you know. It's a very long process as I am sure you know. I needed permission to marry him there, so there was also another visit there to start the paper work. We had to go to the police station and apply for the marriage license, which took months to receive. I also had to apply here in Ottawa and get permission to marry him there!!!!

My husband had to plan the entire wedding on his own. Reserve the hall, dining/food, send out wedding invitations, decorate, etc. (the women in the family helped) :D As for our wedding, initially men and women were separated, in the wedding hall, but at the end of the night, my husband made an allowance for me, "could not imagine a wedding where men and women could not celebrate together" and the "younger" guests were able to mingle and dance at the end. Can you imagine, "men and women were together!!! They forgave me, because I am the crazy foreigner. LOL My husband comes from a pretty conservative area, so this was very odd and not the norm. Anyways, it was a "different" wedding for them and I think everyone had a great time!!! I might have even introduced men and women to each other and opened some marriage potential for others. :D I was very proud of my husband for putting all that together. We had about 200 guests. All I had to do was show up.

I too am praying that it all goes well during our interview, the thought that they think our marriage is a sham, will be truly devastating. :(
It is very therapeutic to be able to share our experiences together and Im happy that I found this forum. It sounds like we are on the same page, going through similar procedures and experiences around the same time. You’re wedding celebration sounds lovely and grand. We are planning a wedding celebration here in Canada and are planning to redo our wedding ceremony in front of our guests for the sake of being able to share our happiness with family and a few friends. We are planning on doing the henna and the other traditions we normally do. We are just waiting for the good news following my husbands arrival into Canada. Everyone in my family is excited to meet him in person. It would be really something if they thought it was a sham. Let’s be hopeful and pray that isn’t so.

Reactions: Pennywise101

CANA2000

Oct 21, 2018

I ordered our GCMS notes in September and at that point the report shows that not very much had started. Sponsorship approved and medicals approved, but eligibility not start, nor criminal or security check. Application had been transferred to Paris VO.

But..... what is VERY interesting is, "someone" had already contacted his University to check on him and the police station in Algiers contacted the police station in his town to request a report on him before I requested the GCMS notes. Yet, in his GCMS notes it showed, "NOTHING STARTED". I found that very odd, which made me think, can we believe these notes? Who and why was his former University contacted and why was the Algiers police department contacting his local police department. As you can tell, he lives in a small town, so it's not difficult to get news through the grape vine. I guess some of the police officers found it odd that the Algiers police would be asking questions about him, so it got people talking, and that is how my husband found out about the police inquiry. His friend works at the University, so that is how he found out about that. His friend called him and told him people made an inquiry about him.
We just ordered GCMS notes as well and are waiting for it. I am really hoping it is transparent and no hidden information as wanting to be reunited together physically doesn’t make us criminals. It seems like they can make it to be nothing but struggles for some couples and a piece of cake for others when all we really want is to be reunited with our love ones. Ive heard and read stories where some legit couples go through so much to be reunited and others with a horrible history such as past criminal behaviors having there spouses come here in well under 12 months. I hope this is minimal and it is not the case in general. Im trying to put my trust into this procedure of spousal sponsorship and pray the outcome is done in good faith

Last edited:

Amal2083

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018

Hello,

my husband is from tunisia and I am in the same boat aswell! In regards to the BCG- could the process also be delayed, because they are requesting reports from tunisia police dept ( we know how long arab country takes lol ) ?

PortugueseGirl

Star Member
Nov 3, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Paris
App. Filed.......
18-06-2018
Doc's Request.
Adittional docs (RFRP and RCMP finger prints) 13-03-2019
AOR Received.
11-09-2018
File Transfer...
12-09-2018
Med's Request
12-09-2019
Med's Done....
03-10-2018
Interview........
Don't request
Passport Req..
Still waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Still waiting
LANDED..........
Still waiting
Any updated?

I'm still waiting... (June 2018 application)

Thanks

AlgCad0218

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Visa Office......
Paris
App. Filed.......
21-02-2018
File Transfer...
05-05-2018
Med's Done....
03-05-2018
We are still waiting on our February 2018 application

PortugueseGirl

Star Member
Nov 3, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Paris
App. Filed.......
18-06-2018
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
11-09-2018
File Transfer...
12-09-2018
Med's Request
12-09-2019
Med's Done....
03-10-2018
Interview........
Don't request
Passport Req..
Still waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Still waiting
LANDED..........
Still waiting
We are still waiting on our February 2018 application
Our aplication is Outland or inland?

When ur file was transfer for Paris visa ?

AlgCad0218

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Visa Office......
Paris
App. Filed.......
21-02-2018
File Transfer...
05-05-2018
Med's Done....
03-05-2018
Our aplication is Outland or inland?

When ur file was transfer for Paris visa ?
It’s an Outland application, it was transferred to Paris VO in early May.

PortugueseGirl

Star Member
Nov 3, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Paris
App. Filed.......
18-06-2018
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
11-09-2018
File Transfer...
12-09-2018
Med's Request
12-09-2019
Med's Done....
03-10-2018
Interview........
Don't request
Passport Req..
Still waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Still waiting
LANDED..........
Still waiting
It’s an Outland application, it was transferred to Paris VO in early May.
I'm Outland too and my application was transfer on September and the starts processing on 20th of September...

My husband are Canadian and I'm Portuguese and u?

Thanks