+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents visit and quarantine plan?

Moqa

Jul 8, 2020
I'm a Canadian citizen and both my parents have a valid visitor visa and they are planning to stay for 2 months as I'm pregnant and need their help. We are planning to have them by August 1st but with all going on with the COVID-19 I have few questions and need your help/advise from someone who has similar situation:
  1. Is that considered an essential visit or the officer may give them hard time to enter? (P.N. when we applied for Visitor visa back in Feb. , we mentioned in the invitation letter that I'm pregnant & need them during that time).
  2. For quarantine plan, can they share the place with us? we are leaving in house (but unfinished basement) and they will have a separate bedroom & bathroom. Or do they need to be completely isolated from anyone?
  3. And if they can share the place with us, shall we also be isolated for 14 days or just the traveler?
Thanks

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Immediate family of citizens can enter. They need to be completely isolated. If they are in the house with you, then you cannot leave during the 14 days.

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
Immediate family of citizens can enter. They need to be completely isolated. If they are in the house with you, then you cannot leave during the 14 days.
You are correct. However, it is my understanding that, if you maintain physical distancing with the arriving family member at home, like separate bedroom, mask on at home. Then the other members may leave the home for essential reasons like work and groceries. I too need cllearifiactin on this matter. As my job is essential, I cannot take 14 isolation leave. Before anyone says anything. Yes, AirBNB or a hotel will be my plan B and C. She’s a newcomer to Canada, I’d rather not leave her in a hotel room for 2 weeks if I don’t have to.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are correct. However, it is my understanding that, if you maintain physical distancing with the arriving family member at home, like separate bedroom, mask on at home. Then the other members may leave the home for essential reasons like work and groceries. I too need cllearifiactin on this matter. As my job is essential, I cannot take 14 isolation leave. Before anyone says anything. Yes, AirBNB or a hotel will be my plan B and C. She’s a newcomer to Canada, I’d rather not leave her in a hotel room for 2 weeks if I don’t have to.
Not the case especially around a pregnant woman who also is likely visiting doctors offices or the hospital. They should have their own bedroom bathroom and kitchen. They risk infecting you and you could infect medical staff and other pregnant women.

Reactions: mashulia_26

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm a Canadian citizen and both my parents have a valid visitor visa and they are planning to stay for 2 months as I'm pregnant and need their help. We are planning to have them by August 1st but with all going on with the COVID-19 I have few questions and need your help/advise from someone who has similar situation:
  1. Is that considered an essential visit or the officer may give them hard time to enter? (P.N. when we applied for Visitor visa back in Feb. , we mentioned in the invitation letter that I'm pregnant & need them during that time).
  2. For quarantine plan, can they share the place with us? we are leaving in house (but unfinished basement) and they will have a separate bedroom & bathroom. Or do they need to be completely isolated from anyone?
  3. And if they can share the place with us, shall we also be isolated for 14 days or just the traveler?
Thanks
Given that you are pregnant and also visiting doctors and potentially the hospital it is very important that your family and your parents remain separated for 14 days.

Swethasam

Oct 23, 2016
Hi.. I am a PR and I would like to bring my parents and sister on visit by November for my delivery.. so they did apply for a visitor visa from Dubai. They did the biometrics and now it’s showing background check going on. But, do we also have to show a quarantine plan? If so, does anyone have a format of the plan? Please do share!

Yuvan Mahajan

Jul 1, 2018
Hyderabad
App. Filed.......
06-05-2018
Thanks
Hi there,

Did your parents arrive here safely? If yes, how was the process at Canada airport? May I know the quarantine plan shared, I have the same questions as yours.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your parents knows English, then they can get the arrivecan app available from google play and use the app instead of submit a paper form to explain their quarantine plan.

Yuvan Mahajan

Jul 1, 2018
Hyderabad
App. Filed.......
06-05-2018
If your parents knows English, then they can get the arrivecan app available from google play and use the app instead of submit a paper form to explain their quarantine plan.
Thanks! Do you know if they can stay in same house, but a separate bedroom/washroom setup as part of quarantine plan.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, but everyone in the household might have to quarantine with them during the 14 days (unless the bedroom/washroom have separate entrance).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks! Do you know if they can stay in same house, but a separate bedroom/washroom setup as part of quarantine plan.
Depends on where the washroom and bedroom are. Is it an en-suite? Is it in a separate area of the house like a basement? What about food. Covid is aerosolized and remains airborne for 3 hours or more depending on which study.

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/transmission-of-sars-cov-2-implications-for-infection-prevention-precautions

Swethasam

Oct 23, 2016
So I live in a 1+ den condo with a common kitchen and washroom here with my husband. Does that mean my parents cannot stay with us ? As in can they stay in the den and use our same washroom?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So I live in a 1+ den condo with a common kitchen and washroom here with my husband. Does that mean my parents cannot stay with us ? As in can they stay in the den and use our same washroom?
Yes, but everyone will have to quarantine together in such small place for the entire 14 days and no outside activities (excepting taking out garbage).