+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2022

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you know when it will open again or how one can keep up with updates to know when to apply if it opens up again? I take it this the only way to sponsor parents?
H&C would require you to have exceptional circumstances that are different than
the reasons people want to have their parents to join them in Canada. As already indicated if they get denied, traveling to Canada will be much harder. Some parents do get accepted but many get denied. The ability to now stay for 7 years under a supervisa may make it even harder to qualify under H&C. Supervisa is generally the best way for parents be with their children longterm. In general patent sponsorship is not guaranteed. There will always be more people wanting to sponsor their parents than spots available. Very few countries even offer parents sponsorship with access to public healthcare so even the chance to sponsor a parent and having a parent be able to visit for many years is much better than in most countries.

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
When you applied in 2020 you didn’t meet the requirements so we’re not supposed to submit an EOI. You posted proof that you weren’t entitled to submit an EOI.
“As a potential sponsor, you need to ensure that you are eligible to sponsor before you submit an interest to sponsor form. This includes making sure that you meet the minimum necessary income requirements.”

It never says that you can apply if you don’t meet the income requirements. It just says that only when you are selected will we require the proof that you do meet over LICO. Doesn’t say if you don’t meet LICO you can apply. If that was the case everyone would apply and they would select people and then determine if people make over LICO which makes no sense.
Only the last part of your statement is correct. Everyone including new immigrants who landed in 2022 have every right to enter the PGP pool as soon as it is available to them. IRCC has defined this in plain English, as listed below.

'Expressing interest' is totally different from 'Applying'. 'Applying' happens only after the PGP invite is sent, until then this form is a way to inform IRCC you are interested in sponsoring your parents or grandparents. For the 2022 process, IRCC assess sponsors on their income for tax years 2021, 2020 and 2019. You are not a 'potential sponsor' until your are invited to apply and submit your sponsorship application. IRCC is ultra clear about being unable to assess any income requirement until the actual application is submitted, which only happens after PGP invite.

Not sure why you are trying reinvent IRCC policies and where you are getting this LICO policy. I have just copy pasted IRCC text once again. I will surely start a new thread busting the myths circulated by VIP members.

****************************************IRCC WEBSITE***************************************************
Here’s what you need to know if you’re interested in sponsoring your parents or grandparents:

• The interest to sponsor form is not an application.
  • The form is a way to inform IRCC you are interested in sponsoring your parents or grandparents.
  • As a potential sponsor, you need to ensure that you are eligible to sponsor before you submit an interest to sponsor form. This includes making sure that you meet the minimum necessary income requirements
  • You, the sponsor (and your co-signer, if you have one) must prove you have enough income to support all the people you’ll be financially responsible foronce you become a sponsor. This includes yourself.
  • If you’re invited to apply, you have to provide proof that you meet the income requirements for each of the 3 tax years before the date you apply.
  • We can’t assess whether you meet the income requirements until you apply (if you’re invited).
    Note: For the 2022 process, we’ll assess sponsors on their income for tax years 2021, 2020 and 2019.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure why you are trying reinvent IRCC policies and where you are getting this LICO policy. I have just copy pasted IRCC text once again. I will surely start a new thread busting the myths circulated by VIP members.
Keep up and you would soon becoming one of the VIP members.

sibhav

Star Member
May 30, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 21 2014
AOR Received.
March 13 2015
File Transfer...
April 09 2015
Interview........
June 22 2016
Passport Req..
June 29 2016
VISA ISSUED...
July 06 2016
Only the last part of your statement is correct. Everyone including new immigrants who landed in 2022 have every right to enter the PGP pool as soon as it is available to them. IRCC has defined this in plain English, as listed below.

'Expressing interest' is totally different from 'Applying'. 'Applying' happens only after the PGP invite is sent, until then this form is a way to inform IRCC you are interested in sponsoring your parents or grandparents. For the 2022 process, IRCC assess sponsors on their income for tax years 2021, 2020 and 2019. You are not a 'potential sponsor' until your are invited to apply and submit your sponsorship application. IRCC is ultra clear about being unable to assess any income requirement until the actual application is submitted, which only happens after PGP invite.

****************************************IRCC WEBSITE***************************************************
Here’s what you need to know if you’re interested in sponsoring your parents or grandparents:

• The interest to sponsor form is not an application.
  • The form is a way to inform IRCC you are interested in sponsoring your parents or grandparents.
  • As a potential sponsor, you need to ensure that you are eligible to sponsor before you submit an interest to sponsor form. This includes making sure that you meet the minimum necessary income requirements
  • You, the sponsor (and your co-signer, if you have one) must prove you have enough income to support all the people you’ll be financially responsible foronce you become a sponsor. This includes yourself.
  • If you’re invited to apply, you have to provide proof that you meet the income requirements for each of the 3 tax years before the date you apply.
  • We can’t assess whether you meet the income requirements until you apply (if you’re invited).
    Note: For the 2022 process, we’ll assess sponsors on their income for tax years 2021, 2020 and 2019.
I agree with "yourfather" ,
Hope this "Canuck78" guy has other things to do in spare time.

Last edited:
Reactions: dpatel08

meha68

Oct 17, 2022
For form imm5768e , question 14, what should be the gross income, after tax or before tax from employer?

nirvanas

Oct 17, 2022
Hi, I got the invitation to apply for my father (retired, single parent). My brother is 45 years old, and has been suffering from depression since 2008. He is not working (since 2012), not married and is dependent on me and my father. My brother does have a strong education background with engineering from NIT and masters from a reputed school in Europe. Will and can my brother be considered a dependent on my father's application? If yes, will he considered for PR along with my father's PR application?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I got the invitation to apply for my father (retired, single parent). My brother is 45 years old, and has been suffering from depression since 2008. He is not working (since 2012), not married and is dependent on me and my father. My brother does have a strong education background with engineering from NIT and masters from a reputed school in Europe. Will and can my brother be considered a dependent on my father's application? If yes, will he considered for PR along with my father's PR application?
No he is not a dependant so he is not included.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/age-limit-requirements-dependent-children.html

jessiezhai

Star Member
Nov 13, 2018
You do not need to add yourself and your sister if she is not dependent ( Check full definition of Dependent on website - if she is 22 year age or over then she is not dependent ) , Include only Principal applicant ( For example if father is principle applicate ) then add Mom as your dependent .
Thank you very much for your quick answer.

jessiezhai

Star Member
Nov 13, 2018
1. 0008 form: Do I need add my sister and myself?
No
2. 5406 form: Do I need add my sister and myself?
Not a separate forms, but you two must be listed on "Section B: Children" of both of your parents
3. 5669 form: Do I need add my sister?
No

My answers above are based on the reading and understanding of, but not limited to these, below mentioned official documents

How to complete immigration forms for paper applications
Guide 5772 – Application to Sponsor Parents and Grandparents

Moreover, I assumed that your sister does not fall under any below mentioned Dependent type

Dependant type
Type A

The dependant is under the age of 22 and single (not married and not in a common-law relationship).

Type B (Important: This dependant type applies only if your child’s age was locked in before August 1, 2014)

The dependant has been continuously enrolled in and in attendance as a full-time student at a post-secondary institution accredited by the relevant government authority and has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 22.

Type C

The dependant is 22 years of age or older, has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 22, and is unable to provide for themselves because of a medical condition.
That's exactly what I felt confused. My sister has been working and financial independent for years. SO I will add myself and my sister t 5406 just in case.

jessiezhai

Star Member
Nov 13, 2018
The forms you are asking for, 0008, 5406 and 5669 are all for PR application. So they are only for those who want to apply for PR. Based on your description your sister is not a dependant and can not be included in the "PR" application. And you're already PR/citizen. Only your mother is eligible as a spouse to PA, your father.

1. 0008 form: Do I need add my sister and myself?
No

2. 5406 form: Do I need add my sister and myself?
No. but you both appear in your parents' forms under "children"

3. 5669 form: Do I need add my sister?
No.

A little off the topic:
PGP is a two-stage process. Sponsor (and co-signer) apply for sponsor eligibility. Then parents apply for PR. There might be a slight overlap of the two during the process, but generally sponsor should get approved first. (Not talking about quebec applicants, that's a different process.) Nonetheless IRCC want to see all forms submitted at once, and this creates some confusion as who is the applicant? I almost never see IRCC refer to the sponsor as "applicant", even on 1344 the sponsor is still "sponsor" while parent is under "principle applicant". So when you see anywhere in the guide that the "applicant" need to sign or submit on behalf of dependent, it is 99% the parent(PA).
Thank you for the explanation. I will correct my form 5406 by adding my sister and myself as children.
The last paragraph is also very informative.

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
I already filled most of the forms. I do not see any option to delete the application. What should I do?
Should I attach letter of explanation?
attaching a letter of explanation is the best of approach now,i f you dont do it now, first thing that will happen is that you will receive a comunication saying the email is different and delays

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
For form imm5768e , question 14, what should be the gross income, after tax or before tax from employer?
  • your Total Income on line 150 of your Notice of Assessment (NOA) from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and
  • subtract any income that must be excluded
    • provincial payments for an instruction or training program
    • social assistance from a province
    • payments from the Government of Canada under a resettlement assistance program
    • regular Employment Insurance earnings (for 2018 and 2019 tax years)
    • Old Age Security payments
  • Income that does count toward your total income (as long as it’s reported on your NOA):
    • Employment Insurance special benefits, such as maternity and parental benefits
    • any Employment Insurance earnings for the 2020 tax year
    • Canada Emergency Response Benefit
    • other temporary COVID-19-related benefits
      • as long as they are not part of provincial social assistance programs
    • paid parental leave
    • RSP/RRSP withdrawals

dcowboys

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
This is the only regular way to sponsor parents. (Some apply inland with H&C... Almost forgot that way. But that's after all possible way has been tried. If H&C is refused, it's hard for parents to even visit after. ) Many wait for years to get lucky and be drawn in the lottery.

They may open it up again late 2023 or they may draw from the same 2020 pool again. No one knows.

You can apply for super visa so they can stay in Canada as visitors for longer than 6 months at a time.
Thank you for the info, H&C would not be an option for them as it's not the case. Will try Super Visa are those an easy option for parents or are they strict in approving that also?