+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2022

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am qualified since my initial entry into the pool and I just submitted my application after invite. The application asks for 2019, 2020 and 2021 tax returns. Lets assume the alternate logic is correct and IRCC should lock the profile in 2020 and only for the then 3 yrs tax returns (2017,18,19) asking for 2021 and 2022 makes it a 5 yr income assessment, which is not a process documented nor followed at IRCC. PGP is not FCFS (atleast between 2020-2022)
When you submitted your application for PGP 2020 had you met the required LICO for 2017,18 and 2019? If not, you NEVER qualified to apply in 2020 and therefore should not have been selected in 2022. All the other people who arrived in 2018 did not submit their PGP 2020 application because they didn’t meet LICO for 2017, 2018 and 2019 and therefore have not had a chance to be selected in 2020, 2021 and 2022. IRCC could certainly see that you only moved to Canada in December 2018 and look into how you qualified for PGP 2020 which you didn’t. If that is discovered they can deny your application.

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
When you submitted your application for PGP 2020 had you met the required LICO for 2017,18 and 2019? If not, you NEVER qualified to apply in 2020 and therefore should not have been selected in 2022. All the other people who arrived in 2018 did not submit their PGP 2020 application because they didn’t meet LICO for 2017, 2018 and 2019 and therefore have not had a chance to be selected in 2020, 2021 and 2022. IRCC could certainly see that you only moved to Canada in December 2018 and look into how you qualified for PGP 2020 which you didn’t. If that is discovered they can deny your application.
Well thank god you are not employed at IRCC. Did you ever had a chance to look at the 'interest to sponsor' form in 2020? it never had any such clause or personal attestation about income requirement (else it would be a falsification to submit that form) The form only asked for personal details about sponsor and applicants. I have screenshots of that form too. Its named 'interest to sponsor' for a reason.

IMM5748e - 2022 is the form for PGP income eligibility you can google it and take a look. According to your hypothesis, IRCC is incorrect by only asking 3 yrs income details?

If you remember you were the one who gave me a strict advice not to travel over a month during spousal sponsorship or else my application would be denied. I was out of country for 3+ months and my application got approved within 8 months. I have received at least 10 messages in here from different members confirming the same. I will again come back to the same forum and comment as soon my PGP application is approved.

Instead of digging my previous posts, you must gain some real world experience and not create your own rules here. Again not to forget you had helped me out in the past when I was stuck a few times, so many thanks for that.

dpatel08

Aug 15, 2017
I wish this was true but i think they are only looking at previous 3 years . Also when people sign consent form they are giving consent for previous 3 years . I am qualified for many year so i am not worried even if they dig past 7-8 years . but many people have taken advantage of this loop hole and applied in 2020 even if they migrated in 2018 or 2019 . And i am 90% sure if they meet previous 3 year qualification then they wont bother to look at the 4th and 5th year .

tam_ngo

Star Member
Nov 22, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
I wish this was true but i think they are only looking at previous 3 years . Also when people sign consent form they are giving consent for previous 3 years . I am qualified for many year so i am not worried even if they dig past 7-8 years . but many people have taken advantage of this loop hole and applied in 2020 even if they migrated in 2018 or 2019 . And i am 90% sure if they meet previous 3 year qualification then they wont bother to look at the 4th and 5th year .
That's sadly true. I hope they would look at income requirement since 2017 too, but same as you, my feeling says they will just look at 3 years prior the application submission date. I have been trying to meet the incomes requirement since 2017 regardless the state of the economy. I guess the system really needs some serious improvements.

happyCanadian

Sep 30, 2021
Does anyone has the link to the page where IRCC has given the file name formats for uploading the supporting documents?
When you log in to your online portal you will see the instruction on that page about the file format . for example - If you are submitting birth certificate then it should be Last Name First Name - Birth Certificate .
Below is what you'll see when you create account and application.

Recommended document labelling:
  • Please use the following naming convention when labelling your documents: "Last Name - First Name – Document type - #." For example: "Wong - John - Proof of Education -1."
  • Please make sure your documents are labelled properly. For example, if you upload a picture of your child, you should label the file so that it includes the name of that child.
    • File names can only contain the following characters: "A-Z" "a-z" "0-9" "-" "_" "."
  • Photos:The back of one (1) photo must contain the following and must be uploaded.
    • bear the date the photo was taken;
    • bear the name and date of birth of the subject, as well as the name and complete address of the photography studio;
    • The photographer may use a stamp or handwrite this information.
  • Please visit the guide(opens in a new browser tab) for permanent resident photos for more information.
  • Accepted file types: Only PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, DOC, and DOCX are accepted.
  • Accepted file size: File size should be 4mb maximum and photos should be 420x540 pixels minimum.
  • Select your document type and upload.

Reactions: jessiezhai

pk960

May 13, 2020
Category........
FAM
This is all ur assumptions so keep getting annoyed. Criteria is 2019-21 and if u meet its all fine and i know real cases who got approved in 2021

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Why so much negativity? Its not like someone who purchase their first lottery hit jackpot and other person has spent all their life buying lottery and never won.

There is no such loop hole or no one took your spot, the guidelines are in plain English. Let me try this one last time.

Below is the link from 2020 PGP program,

Link 1: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/parents-grandparents-2020-launch.html

Before submitting 'interest to sponsor' the following links will help to determine if you are eligible to sponsor. If you click on the below 'eligible to sponsor' or 'minimum necessary income requirements.' then you will end up in link# 2

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Here’s what you need to know if you’re interested in sponsoring your parents or grandparents:

• The interest to sponsor form is not an application. - So no need to fulfil eligibility criteria until you apply after ITA
  • The form is a way to inform IRCC you are interested in sponsoring your parents or grandparents. - Plain and simple
  • As a potential sponsor, you need to ensure that you are eligible to sponsor before you submit an interest to sponsor form. This includes making sure that you meet the minimum necessary income requirements. - After receiving ITA you are potential sponsor
  • Submitting the form more than once will not increase your chances of being invited to apply. All duplicate submissions will be removed.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Link 2: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1445&top=14

You, the sponsor (and your co-signer, if you have one) must prove you have enough income to support all the people you’ll be financially responsible for once you become a sponsor. This includes yourself.

If you’re invited to apply, you have to provide proof that you meet the income requirements for each of the 3 tax years before the date you apply.

We can’t assess whether you meet the income requirements until you apply (if you’re invited).

Note:
For the 2022 process, we’ll assess sponsors on their income for tax years 2021, 2020 and 2019.

The highlighted text clearly tells you that, if you submit the 'interest to sponsor' and ONLY 'if you are invited' you are required to provide previous 3 yrs of tax statements. Until you are not invited you don't need to meet the eligibility criteria, you have intimated IRCC that you are interested to sponsor and that's all. IRCC is very clear stating they cant assess income requirements until you apply for which you have to be invited in the first place.

Wishing you good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: mtl-Oct21-2021

tam_ngo

Star Member
Nov 22, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
I think that's mistake in their part since they mentioned initially that the outstanding pool was 155K and that they will select 23100 from there.
They did revised their website to have it saying " For the 2022 intake, we invited potential sponsors from the pool of 155,313 remaining potential sponsors who submitted an interest to sponsor form in 2020. We sent 23,100 invitations to apply in order to reach our goal of accepting up to 15,000 complete applications. "

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/selected.html

So 155313 - 23100 = 132213 people left in the pool. Thank god !

Reactions: dpatel08

Greninja

Star Member
Oct 18, 2022
They did revised their website to have it saying " For the 2022 intake, we invited potential sponsors from the pool of 155,313 remaining potential sponsors who submitted an interest to sponsor form in 2020. We sent 23,100 invitations to apply in order to reach our goal of accepting up to 15,000 complete applications. "

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/selected.html

So 155313 - 23100 = 132213 people left in the pool. Thank god !
did they invite for 2021 ?

dpatel08

Aug 15, 2017
Why so much negativity? Its not like someone who purchase their first lottery hit jackpot and other person has spent all their life buying lottery and never won.

There is no such loop hole or no one took your spot, the guidelines are in plain English. Let me try this one last time.

Below is the link from 2020 PGP program,

Link 1: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/parents-grandparents-2020-launch.html

Before submitting 'interest to sponsor' the following links will help to determine if you are eligible to sponsor. If you click on the below 'eligible to sponsor' or 'minimum necessary income requirements.' then you will end up in link# 2

Here’s what you need to know if you’re interested in sponsoring your parents or grandparents:

• The interest to sponsor form is not an application. - So no need to fulfil eligibility criteria until you apply after ITA
  • The form is a way to inform IRCC you are interested in sponsoring your parents or grandparents. - Plain and simple
  • As a potential sponsor, you need to ensure that you are eligible to sponsor before you submit an interest to sponsor form. This includes making sure that you meet the minimum necessary income requirements. - After receiving ITA you are potential sponsor
  • Submitting the form more than once will not increase your chances of being invited to apply. All duplicate submissions will be removed.

Link 2: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1445&top=14

You, the sponsor (and your co-signer, if you have one) must prove you have enough income to support all the people you’ll be financially responsible for once you become a sponsor. This includes yourself.

If you’re invited to apply, you have to provide proof that you meet the income requirements for each of the 3 tax years before the date you apply.

We can’t assess whether you meet the income requirements until you apply (if you’re invited).

Note:
For the 2022 process, we’ll assess sponsors on their income for tax years 2021, 2020 and 2019.

The highlighted text clearly tells you that, if you submit the 'interest to sponsor' and ONLY 'if you are invited' you are required to provide previous 3 yrs of tax statements. Until you are not invited you don't need to meet the eligibility criteria, you have intimated IRCC that you are interested to sponsor and that's all. IRCC is very clear stating they cant assess income requirements until you apply for which you have to be invited in the first place.

Wishing you good luck
if you were fully qualified in 2020 in terms of minimum income requirement i would say you have not taken any one else spot . Good Luck to every one who have applied and still waiting lets hope they gets better and accept more application each year .