+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents Expired PR Card - Left Canada due to emergency

canadavikings

Apr 12, 2017
Hi Members, looking for some guidance and info regarding entering canada via land border. My parents visa expired in Oct 2023 and we have not yet applied for renewal . Before we could apply for renewal , my fathers brother passed away in India. So both my parents rushed to India . My parents do have US Visitors visa. I understand that a valid PR card is not required via land POE using a private vehicle. Can anyone of you share your experience / provide guidance if we decide to go down this route to come back to canada.
- What are the questions and information asked by US immigration and customs ?
- What are the questions and information requested by CBSA while crossing the land POE ?
I do understand PRTD is another option but looking for info for this option as we would like our parents to be back asap.

Note: I am planning to drive from Toronto and drive them back from Detroit POE. I am Canadian Citizen.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
- What are the questions and information requested by CBSA while crossing the land POE ?
I do understand PRTD is another option but looking for info for this option as we would like our parents to be back asap.

Note: I am planning to drive from Toronto and drive them back from Detroit POE. I am Canadian Citizen.
Are your parents in compliance with the residency obligation (outside of Canada less than 1095 days in last five years)?

If so: just explain the cards expired and didn't have time to renew when they had to return for family emergency. Have the old card/copies with them. They should have no trouble, might get some additional questions because of expired card, just tell the truth. Mianly they'll want to establish identity, PR status, and possibly compliance with RO.

No idea about US customs etc,. probably just tell them travelling to Canada where reside.

canadavikings

Apr 12, 2017
Are your parents in compliance with the residency obligation (outside of Canada less than 1095 days in last five years)?

If so: just explain the cards expired and didn't have time to renew when they had to return for family emergency. Have the old card/copies with them. They should have no trouble, might get some additional questions because of expired card, just tell the truth. Mianly they'll want to establish identity, PR status, and possibly compliance with RO.

No idea about US customs etc,. probably just tell them travelling to Canada where reside.
Thank you for your inputs. They do meet the RO as of the date they left i.e Dec 26th ( 751 days in canada) . As of today , if we calculate the RO they will be short be couple of days . That is the another concern in our mind

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your inputs. They do meet the RO as of the date they left i.e Dec 26th ( 751 days in canada) . As of today , if we calculate the RO they will be short be couple of days . That is the another concern in our mind
Why oh why do people post questions and leave out THE MOST (possibly only) important piece of data in their question? I mean, you knew this information, right? Did you think answers would get more accurate if you left the important stuff out?

Consider my question rhetorical.

Well situation is not ideal. That said, they WILL be admitted, and if it's only a few days short, it's unlikely CBSA will make a big deal out of it (and may ignore entirely). If they get asked, explain why they travelled (family emergency).

Absolute worst case is that they get 'reported' for not being in compliance, and then they have to appeal. They live in Canada while the appeal happens.

But I'm fairly (very) confident this will not happen, because they have a good reason and a very short period of non-compliance. In short, they would win on appeal (if all as you say), and CBSA officers do not like doing paperwork for fairly clear cases. Very likely the only consequence (if any) would be a verbal warning, possibly a note to their file about the situation (future entries might involve more examination).

Reactions: Copingwithlife

canadavikings

Apr 12, 2017
Why oh why do people post questions and leave out THE MOST (possibly only) important piece of data in their question? I mean, you knew this information, right? Did you think answers would get more accurate if you left the important stuff out?

Consider my question rhetorical.

Well situation is not ideal. That said, they WILL be admitted, and if it's only a few days short, it's unlikely CBSA will make a big deal out of it (and may ignore entirely). If they get asked, explain why they travelled (family emergency).

Absolute worst case is that they get 'reported' for not being in compliance, and then they have to appeal. They live in Canada while the appeal happens.

But I'm fairly (very) confident this will not happen, because they have a good reason and a very short period of non-compliance. In short, they would win on appeal (if all as you say), and CBSA officers do not like doing paperwork for fairly clear cases. Very likely the only consequence (if any) would be a verbal warning, possibly a note to their file about the situation (future entries might involve more examination).
Appreciate your detailed response. I realized that I missed including the key info after you raised the question . Would be great if anyone can share info around what questions US immigration might ask when entering US on visitors. if we do say our final destination is Toronto , they would need a valid PR card to validate ?

Reactions: armoured

canadavikings

Apr 12, 2017
Would anyone else be able to share info around questions asked by US customs and what requirements are needed to enter US on visitors when you are final destination is Canada