+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2021

Dopags

Nov 8, 2022
Hello!

I am currently on the process of applying for parental sponsorship. My Mom (who is in the Philippines) and Dad (already here in Canada since 2007) are separated but not legally. They filed for annulment back in 2006 but was dismissed by the judge and no further action towards their annulment has been made. In my mom application, I have to put marital status. What would be her marital status in her case?

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
Hello!

I am currently on the process of applying for parental sponsorship. My Mom (who is in the Philippines) and Dad (already here in Canada since 2007) are separated but not legally. They filed for annulment back in 2006 but was dismissed by the judge and no further action towards their annulment has been made. In my mom application, I have to put marital status. What would be her marital status in her case?
separated ,with a letter explaining the situation and with supporting documents, if available .( i think this will applky in form IMM0008 )

Reactions: YVR123 and Dopags

Dopags

Nov 8, 2022
separated ,with a letter explaining the situation and with supporting documents, if available .( i think this will applky in form IMM0008 )
That’s what I thought initially too. But there’s another form I believe it’s the “additional family info” one, it also asks for her marital status, but in that form, there’s no option of “separated” only “legally separated”. Would that still be the same if technically they are not “legally” separated since the judge dismissed their annulment case?

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
That’s what I thought initially too. But there’s another form I believe it’s the “additional family info” one, it also asks for her marital status, but in that form, there’s no option of “separated” only “legally separated”. Would that still be the same if technically they are not “legally” separated since the judge dismissed their annulment case?
you are right in legal terms ( and im sure you know it )
A formal separation, also called a legal separation, is approved by the courts and can have an effect on marital property and taxes. While separated you remain legally married and are not allowed to remarry. You must get a divorce to be eligible to remarry.
in sequence you can say separated when only separated is mentioned and when legally separated you put married ,and this is where the letter of explanation will clarify the matter again with any supporting documents

Dopags

Nov 8, 2022
you are right in legal terms ( and im sure you know it )
A formal separation, also called a legal separation, is approved by the courts and can have an effect on marital property and taxes. While separated you remain legally married and are not allowed to remarry. You must get a divorce to be eligible to remarry.
in sequence you can say separated when only separated is mentioned and when legally separated you put married ,and this is where the letter of explanation will clarify the matter again with any supporting documents
Oh okay. There is an option of “Married (not physically present)”. Would that be the best option for her in her case?

Aakash87

Oct 24, 2016
Hey, I am confused if they are coming to Canada, then they can complete the landing at the airport. Were you able to explore this option?
They were planning to travel on 11th Nov using TRV, but we would have not received stamped passport by then. Hence I raised a web form requesting IRCC to consider them for virtual landing, after they land in Canada. But they later decided to delay the travel to get passport stamped in India.

Aakash87

Oct 24, 2016
My status is Exactly same On Gckey. But not yet received PPR. We were in Canada on visitor visa . After receiving Pre arrival letter same day 17th Oct we informed the same and our date of returning to india. I.e 2nd Nov. but bad luck No PPR received. Now we are in India.
Usually they are sending PPR within 1-2 weeks of sending pre arrival letter ( if other things are already complete). It’s hard to predict. That’s why we decided to submit the passport for stamping, because we don’t how much our application will be delayed due to virtual landing

Aakash87

Oct 24, 2016
Hi
Gckey status is perfectly normal. Ours is a similar case. The status changes when you submit your passport and they process it. I submitted my passport on 21st October and final decision 'approved' was made on 7th November 2022.
Thanks. Fingers crossed. I just hope they don’t action on my web form until the passport gets stamped.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
this one sound as if you dont know where he is ,he is physically present and you know his address .
That's the option when people get married when they are not physically together (proxy marriage)
So at the wedding one of the couple were not even at the wedding. It's allowed in some country but Canada doesn't recongized proxy marriage.

Reactions: citizenshipcanada

bilalsaeed

Jul 5, 2012
Edmonton
Hi Guys,
I applied for my parents last year in Dec.
So far I've received a ghost email on Feb 2022
and a Sponsor Approval Letter on May 2022 . This email also indicated my change of office from Mississauga to Vancouver.

Nothing after that.

Does someone has a same timeline as my parents?

Since my parents have super visa, their biometric is still eligible. That has been updated in the file