+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2019

AVR2019

May 13, 2019
Hello everyone,

I’ve a quick question and appreciate a reply.

My parents file is still in process and a few weeks ago my work contract ended.

If I apply for the COVID-19 Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) then will it have any effect on my current sponsorship Or on my parents file?

Also, I called CIC a few weeks ago to check the status of my parents file they said it’s been approved and will send official approval letter once they are clear about the COVID-19 situation regarding files in process, they said my parents file is technically still in process although it’s approved. Has anyone else heard something similar from CIC?

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thank you!

Reactions: Leonora7

Mississauga-Applicant

Jun 17, 2019
Hello everyone,

If I apply for the COVID-19 Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) then will it have any effect on my current sponsorship Or on my parents file?

Also, I called CIC a few weeks ago to check the status of my parents file they said it’s been approved and will send official approval letter once they are clear about the COVID-19 situation regarding files in process, they said my parents file is technically still in process although it’s approved. Has anyone else heard something similar from CIC?

Thank you!
“ If you collect the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), you're still eligible to sponsor your spouse, parent, grandparent, child or other relative as long as you meet all the requirements to be a sponsor. CERB isn't considered social assistance. Collecting CERB won't make you ineligible to sponsor”

This is from the govt website.

They are right, till the time the process is complete and your parents have landed, the application will still be called “in process”. They become a PR only when the landing is done and that is when things come to an end.

I have a question. When you login to my cic, does it show approved? If not what does it say?

Reactions: AVR2019

robertp

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2019
Canada
Hello everyone,

Thank you!
How financial benefits affect family sponsorship

Can I sponsor my spouse, parent or grandparent if I’m receiving a Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) payment?

Yes, if you’re receiving CERB you’re still eligible to sponsor, as long as you meet all the requirements. CERB would not be considered social assistance.

Is CERB considered social assistance?

The Canada Emergency Response Benefit payments (CERB) are not considered social assistance. Receiving CERB won’t make you ineligible to sponsor your spouse, parent or grandparent.

If I collect EI or CERB during the undertaking period as a sponsored permanent resident, will it cause my sponsor to go into default?

No, neither EI or CERB would cause the sponsor to default if you collect these benefits during the undertaking period.

However, if you collect social assistance during the undertaking period, that would cause your sponsor to default and they would have to be repay the amount.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

Reactions: AVR2019

AVR2019

May 13, 2019
“ If you collect the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), you're still eligible to sponsor your spouse, parent, grandparent, child or other relative as long as you meet all the requirements to be a sponsor. CERB isn't considered social assistance. Collecting CERB won't make you ineligible to sponsor”

This is from the govt website.

They are right, till the time the process is complete and your parents have landed, the application will still be called “in process”. They become a PR only when the landing is done and that is when things come to an end.

I have a question. When you login to my cic, does it show approved? If not what does it say?
Thank you!

Under Final Decision it said - Your application is in process. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

But, we received the Invitation to Pre-arrival services letter on Feb. 21

Indianboy28

Nov 23, 2019
Hello Guys !

Hope all is well.

Just want to know, if any body knows when will Mississauga Immigration Office open and start processing pending files. Please advise

Thank You & stay safe !

intel2

Apr 22, 2013
Hi folks. My mom's application has been in "In Process" status for a very long time, think going back to Feb 2020. I don't know how to track the date for that. There hasn't been any update on the status nor have we received anything so far. I have two questions.

1. Is there a phone line that we can call and get an update?
2. What is the next milestone in this process? The last communication I had from CIC was they wanted to proof of relationship to my mother which was supplied in first week of March 2020. No communication after that ... in Canada or at my mother's place.

Thank you for your response and help in advance!

mostafa2008

Aug 14, 2019
Wow I didn’t know they were doing that. Does your ECAS was showing that after decision made? My mom has decision made por PA and nothing after that. Maybe they are doing the same for us...
Hi, the ECAS for me as sponsor was showing Decision made for both Sponsor and PA. The PA status was updated in March though. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

Reactions: serious_cheese

mostafa2008

Aug 14, 2019
congrats ! I’m in the same boat, I wonder if IRCC knows that my parents are currently in Canada ? Couldn’t recall if they asked that question anywhere in the application package.
I agree with the other comment. I think it is based on the mailing address and in the forms if I am not mistaken we had listed their residential address (where they currently live).

Indianboy28

Nov 23, 2019
Hello Guys !

Hope all is well.

Just want to know, if any body knows when will Mississauga Immigration Office open and start processing pending files. Please advise

Thank You & stay safe !

sandybrampton

Star Member
Dec 15, 2019
Hello Guys !

Hope all is well.

Thank You & stay safe !
I am also eager to know. Based on the updates made in this group, I believe there have been updates to Mississauga cases where Decision Made (DM2) was prior to March 18. I have not seen any other updates

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi folks. My mom's application has been in "In Process" status for a very long time, think going back to Feb 2020. I don't know how to track the date for that. There hasn't been any update on the status nor have we received anything so far. I have two questions.

1. Is there a phone line that we can call and get an update?
2. What is the next milestone in this process? The last communication I had from CIC was they wanted to proof of relationship to my mother which was supplied in first week of March 2020. No communication after that ... in Canada or at my mother's place.

Thank you for your response and help in advance!
Very little processing went on after March until very recently. Depending where your case is being processed it may still experiencing minimal processing. You can order GCMS notes to see the progress of your application.

Reactions: intel2

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
True... 25% go fast 25% go slow 50% go average.. So we get some rough idea.
I meant that May applications don’t necessarily get approved before applications submitted in June. This is an extremely rare circumstance. Processing times were always posted as 12-24 months so COC is still meeting their target.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

Thank you!
Just a warning mainly for those applying in the future. Would assume there is a high chance CERB will not count towards LICO like EI.