+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2019

danny_scars

Aug 1, 2017
BC
I am sponsoring my mother (widow). Do I need to attach IMM 0008DEP form. I think no. Can anyone please confirm?

Also anyone including explanation letter regarding page size difference?

can someone please suggest.
0008DEP is for ppl with over 5 dependents
i wouldn't write a LOE for paper size... :rolleyes:

danny_scars

Aug 1, 2017
BC
Oh.. i was ready as well but noticed forms updated now they show 06-2019. are you using updated forms ?
if u can get everything signed again before june 20th, i'd re-do the forms - remember the app has to reach CIC on or before june 28th. if not, send it as if so u don't miss the deadline.
if u get a CO that insists on updated forms, they will ask for it - the important thing is to not miss the deadline.

gskn4u

Star Member
Nov 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2014
AOR Received.
25-04-2014
IELTS Request
submitted with application

muzmil

Feb 11, 2008
if u can get everything signed again before june 20th, i'd re-do the forms - remember the app has to reach CIC on or before june 28th. if not, send it as if so u don't miss the deadline.
if u get a CO that insists on updated forms, they will ask for it - the important thing is to not miss the deadline
Thanks a lot.. Yes i will aim to get everything printer and couriered back to me by 18th, I will then mail to Ottawa same day. I think it can reach there overnight ?

danny_scars

Aug 1, 2017
BC
Thanks a lot.. Yes i will aim to get everything printer and couriered back to me by 18th, I will then mail to Ottawa same day. I think it can reach there overnight ?
this is a super conservative approach to it - i believe they would be ok with old forms but if u can make it happen, why not...
just keep the old ones handy in case something goes wrong. then throw the "old ones" in the mail ;)

gskn4u

Star Member
Nov 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2014
AOR Received.
25-04-2014
IELTS Request
submitted with application
one more question - I (as my father) have middle name but my mother do not have middle name. But on my birth certificate, there is middle name for my mother. But her passport has first name and last name. Should I get my birth certificate attested by local lawyer here in Canada?

muzmil

Feb 11, 2008
this is a super conservative approach to it - i believe they would be ok with old forms but if u can make it happen, why not...
just keep the old ones handy in case something goes wrong. then throw the "old ones" in the mail ;)
How many days it take to get the acceptance confirmation / signature in Ottawa ?

PAP13

Apr 30, 2019
Interesting, same situation. In this situation I will pay for the biometric again because I dn't want to hold the application. My guess is they might change the biometric internal process.
There was a one month deadline they put on the letter to pay biometric fees. Now I submitted receipt through web form. How we can ensure they got it? I haven't received any confirmation email.

desmonddoss

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
Hmm I just read the original post more carefully. Poster said 'Mom was divorced (no dependents)'. I thought if the parents are divorced and have papers to prove it, then you can sponsor one of the two parents at a time? I am not sure though

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/sponsor-my-father-or-my-mother.177171/

You can read this thread. Looks like no one is really sure. Also it seems some think you need to meet income requirements for BOTH father and mother ie 2 persons plus yourself and family even if you are only going to sponsor One of them.
even if they are divorced though?? interesting.. i will check this out as i am on the same boat - difference being my mom and i haven't heard from my dad in over 20 years and i did send an LOE explicitly saying we would never sponsor him here as we have no idea of his whereabouts...
I am in the same boat too, my parents are separated and I'm sponsoring my mom. Please read what I have researched below as this is my basis.

5.11. Inadmissibility and non-accompanying family members

All family members, whether accompanying the principal applicant or not, are required to be examined unless an officer decides otherwise. Normally, an inadmissible family member, whether accompanying or not, would render the principal applicant inadmissible. There are, however, two exceptions to this rule described in R23. The first is the separated spouse of the applicant and the second is where a child of the applicant who is in the legal custody of someone other than the applicant or an accompanying family member of the applicant, or where someone other than the applicant or accompanying family member of the applicant is empowered to act on behalf of that child by virtue of a court order or written agreement or by operation of law.

Satisfactory documentary proof of a separation and of custody being with someone other than the applicant is required. A separation agreement or custody papers are examples of acceptable proof. Officers will not issue a permanent resident visa to separated spouses, common-law partners or children in the custody of someone else, even if they are examined. This is because separated spouses and partners are not members of the family class as per R117(9)(c) and because children in the custody of someone else are non-accompanying family members.

Officers should be open to the possibility that a client may not be able to make a family member available for examination. If an applicant has done everything in their power to have their family member examined but has failed to do so, and the officer is satisfied that they are aware of the consequences of this (i.e., no future sponsorship possible), then a refusal of their application for non-compliance would not be appropriate.

The intent of R117(9)(d), R117(10) and R117(11) is to ensure that persons whom the sponsor made a conscious decision to exclude (either by not declaring and/or not having the persons examined) from their own application for permanent residence cannot later benefit by being sponsored by this same person as a member of the family class.

Separated spouse
Where a spouse was not examined as part of the application for permanent residence because the applicant and spouse were separated and examination was not required, the spouse cannot later be sponsored as a member of the family class by virtue of their relationship to the sponsor. This was true under R4(2) of the previous legislation and it is still valid under R117(9)(d) of the current legislation.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I am in the same boat too, my parents are separated and I'm sponsoring my mom. Please read what I have researched below as this is my basis.

5.11. Inadmissibility and non-accompanying family members

All family members, whether accompanying the principal applicant or not, are required to be examined unless an officer decides otherwise. Normally, an inadmissible family member, whether accompanying or not, would render the principal applicant inadmissible. There are, however, two exceptions to this rule described in R23. The first is the separated spouse of the applicant and the second is where a child of the applicant who is in the legal custody of someone other than the applicant or an accompanying family member of the applicant, or where someone other than the applicant or accompanying family member of the applicant is empowered to act on behalf of that child by virtue of a court order or written agreement or by operation of law.

Satisfactory documentary proof of a separation and of custody being with someone other than the applicant is required. A separation agreement or custody papers are examples of acceptable proof. Officers will not issue a permanent resident visa to separated spouses, common-law partners or children in the custody of someone else, even if they are examined. This is because separated spouses and partners are not members of the family class as per R117(9)(c) and because children in the custody of someone else are non-accompanying family members.

Officers should be open to the possibility that a client may not be able to make a family member available for examination. If an applicant has done everything in their power to have their family member examined but has failed to do so, and the officer is satisfied that they are aware of the consequences of this (i.e., no future sponsorship possible), then a refusal of their application for non-compliance would not be appropriate.

The intent of R117(9)(d), R117(10) and R117(11) is to ensure that persons whom the sponsor made a conscious decision to exclude (either by not declaring and/or not having the persons examined) from their own application for permanent residence cannot later benefit by being sponsored by this same person as a member of the family class.

Separated spouse
Where a spouse was not examined as part of the application for permanent residence because the applicant and spouse were separated and examination was not required, the spouse cannot later be sponsored as a member of the family class by virtue of their relationship to the sponsor. This was true under R4(2) of the previous legislation and it is still valid under R117(9)(d) of the current legislation.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf
Thanks for sharing. From the above I would infer that the separated spouse would not be counted as a family member for LICO requirements in the spirit of the rules.

newandold

Jan 30, 2017
Thanks for sharing. From the above I would infer that the separated spouse would not be counted as a family member for LICO requirements in the spirit of the rules.
Thanks for info, Why tweeter advises to include separated spouse in family size? From here it is obvious that separated status is equal to divorce status, and separated spouses shouldn't be included in family size.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Thanks for info, Why tweeter advises to include separated spouse in family size? From here it is obvious that separated status is equal to divorce status, and separated spouses shouldn't be included in family size.
It is probably a gray area. Separated is not quite divorce. So the case officer might have to look into the circumstances more closely.

HKIMM

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
Very well described...