+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2019

Paul09

Dec 3, 2014
My mom is scheduled to travel in the next few weeks. Will landing paper & passport be sufficient for OHIP eligibility upon arrival? I see on OHIP website they need following 3 documents:
  • Citizenship/immigration status
  • Residency in Ontario
  • Identity
How does one prove residency upon arrival? She won't have any cellphone, bank account, etc upon arrival as these things take time. Can we apply for photo card, and simultaneously use that as proof of residency in Ontario to apply for OHIP?

Please can anyone provide some guidance regarding this?
Will landing paper & passport be sufficient for OHIP eligibility upon arrival? The answer is No, although there is no waiting of 3 months, they will need three documents to apply for OHIP.

1. COPR
2. Address proof
3. ID Proof/Passport

Even if you open their bank account and get the bank summary the same day, as proof of residency, it will not work. You have to wait for an actual monthly statement that will deliver to your mail.

Check this link for list of documents required:

https://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/014-9998E-82~5/$File/9998-82E.pdf

Pro tip:

Get a lease agreement set up in their name, this is the fastest method that I have used.

Last edited:
Reactions: kulb and laxsun

laxsun

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Does anyone know what happens to parent’s pension if they come on PR to Canada? Do they continue to get it? My dad was in Indian Air-force and he get pension and I am wondering what happen once he come to Canada on PR. Any information will help.
No need to worry, your dad will be receiving pension even after becoming a Canadian PR.
Did your parents' medical pass status appear in MyCIC?

Determined1

Jan 26, 2022
Hi everyone !
Finally good news after so much waiting. My mom got the email of PR approved today!! Asked to reply with some information and then after wait for the invitation to the portal!! I can’t believe it, we are so excited!! Hang in there everyone it will come!!

@laxsun please update!
Thank you!!
Congratulations

Reactions: Hamied

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi guys,

A question for those whose parents have already landed. My parents have landed last year, stayed here for 7 months. Then my grandfather passed away, my parents had to leave the country. My mom needs to take care of my grandmother who is almost 100 years old and may stay outside of Canada for a year or so. This is an unfortunate event but my mom has to do what she needs to. I was wondering if there is an exception for maintaining a minimum stay in Canada out of 5 years.

canada4life_pgp2019

Star Member
Oct 14, 2020
Hi,
I received this surveillance letter today for my Mother. What happened to your Mother in law's application after you received it? I too can see the IMM1346 and a serial number in Box 10 and Box number 8 has S code 2.02, Did you get answer to your questions above?
it means your application is approved. i got Passport request for my mother in law shortly afterwards (1 week) . the medical surveillance letter has to be carried when the applicant travels first time on the immigrant visa

laxsun

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
hi guys,

A question for those whose parents have already landed. My parents have landed last year, stayed here for 7 months. Then my grandfather passed away, my parents had to leave the country. My mom needs to take care of my grandmother who is almost 100 years old and may stay outside of Canada for a year or so. This is an unfortunate event but my mom has to do what she needs to. I was wondering if there is an exception for maintaining a minimum stay in Canada out of 5 years.
Sorry to hear your loss. I have not heard of any exception for two years out of five years.
Your mother can stay about three years out of Canada in total five years.
If one of your parents can have citizenship, both can stay out of Canada for a long time.
You may explore this option.

Last edited:

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to hear your loss. I have not heard of any exception for two years out of five years.
Your mother can stay about three years out of Canada in total five years.
If one of your parents can have citizenship, both can stay out of Canada for a long time.
You may explore this option.
Thank you.

ksdesai

Mar 29, 2022
Hello Everyone

I have been a silent visitor and have gained lot of information from here. My mother was also in PGP 2019. This forum has helped me a lot and just wanted to convey my thanks.

Finally today, i got the passport request letter. The following things definately helped.
Application received date
18-Jun-2019
Sponsorship and medical requests in Sep 2021 after doing the below.

i) Feedback form at the below link
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/feedback-retroaction/feedback-retroaction-eng.aspx

ii) Writing Webform as well as explaining my case to the immigration minister.

iii) Having MP check case status

I did not get any reply, but i got sponshorship and medical in Sep 2021.

Medicals were passed in Dec 2021.

Again, it was stuck for three months till Mar 24th.

I again did the below

ii) Writing Web Query

Again, i saw two ghost updates and it was approved, but no letter

I again did the Webform, as to why no letter and i got the passport request today.

Hope it helps to anyone who is waiting.

Also the request is all being done by CPC mississauga and it was not transferred to the Local Visa office. Only medical coordination was done by the Local Visa office in New delhi.

Determined1

Jan 26, 2022
Hello Everyone

I have been a silent visitor and have gained lot of information from here. My mother was also in PGP 2019. This forum has helped me a lot and just wanted to convey my thanks.

Finally today, i got the passport request letter. The following things definately helped.
Application received date
18-Jun-2019
Sponsorship and medical requests in Sep 2021 after doing the below.

ii) Writing Webform as well as explaining my case to the immigration minister.

I did not get any reply, but i got sponshorship and medical in Sep 2021.

Medicals were passed in Dec 2021.

Again, it was stuck for three months till Mar 24th.

I again did the below

ii) Writing Web Query

Again, i saw two ghost updates and it was approved, but no letter

I again did the Webform, as to why no letter and i got the passport request today.

Hope it helps to anyone who is waiting.

Also the request is all being done by CPC mississauga and it was not transferred to the Local Visa office. Only medical coordination was done by the Local Visa office in New delhi.
Thanks for the tips. Congratulations.

gigab

Jan 20, 2009
Calgary
Visa Office......
Guatemala
App. Filed.......
6/July/2009
Doc's Request.
2/Sept./2009
AOR Received.
11/January/2010
File Transfer...
Documents arrived: 17/Dec./2009
Med's Request
1/March/2010 received 26/March/2010
Med's Done....
17April/2010. Additional documents sent 28/April
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
5/May/2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec. 10, 2010. Received January 11, 2011.
LANDED..........
March 10, 2011
Hi everyone
I got an email with the account access to the Portal link on March 28. Now all that’s rest to do is confirm address and upload photo. We have 7 days to do this!! Almost there!!

@laxsun

susiefehr

Mar 30, 2022
I am not seeing much information for Central or south America and the VFS process has been incredibly confusing so sharing this for that reason. IRCC Office is Mexico City. Parents are in Belize.
Parent Grandparent Permanent Residence 2019 applicants.
Passport Request PPR received on March 3rd 2022 which stated to send Passports to nearest VAC which was Guatemala... Belize banks stated they were not able to transfer money to Guatemala so my parents had to travel to a Guatemala bank just to pay the VFS fees. The Guatemala VAC and the VFS chat representatives all gave different information for what to include in the packages and what fees to pay.

Never received any emails confirming receipt of passports or letting us know tracking numbers. Found out this info through the online VFS Chat.
Mailed passports to Guatemala VFS via DHL and passports were received at the office according to tracking number: March 14th.
From here the VFS tracker said that the Guatemala VFS sent passports to Mexico VFS on March 22nd and then they sent it to IRCC Mexico which stated they received the passports and they are "in Process since March 28, 2022.

Now we wait. Some people are saying it takes 2 weeks for the IRCC office to send the passports back - meanwhile according to people's timelines in other groups/countries it is taking more than a month for counterfoil and passport return. It is strange that we had to send our passports to Guatemala rather than just directly to Mexico.

Reactions: takinghits16

Harry0707

Star Member
Feb 1, 2022
According to this article, the backlog for parents & grandparents sponsorship shrunk by 722 from 36,046 to 35,324 applications between Feb 1 and Mar 15, 2022.
To my knowledge, CIC accepted 20k applications in 2019, 10k applications in 2020 and 30k applications in 2021.
Does anybody know how many applications were processed from 2019 and 2020? (afaik, 2021 applicants are still all in process)
I could not find more detailed information online on this on Canada stats, last stats they have are for PGP from 2017.

Assuming around 30k of 35,324 are from 2021, then the remaining 5,324 are from both 2019 and 2020, with the majority being from 2020. However, I'd be very surprised if they processed that many applications from 2020.
The fact that 2020 applicants are receiving PRs while 2019 are still stuck is very frustrating.

I submitted my application on June 24, 2019.
Biometrics done in August 2020.
LVO received file in November 2020.
No medical letter yet.
Calling to CIC, sending emails to visa office and writing to local MP have not helped.
I even submitted a request under the privacy act which came back with a redacted, half-empty PDF that has no useful information.
The LVO email says we're in the queue. I wish they said what # in the queue so we could track progress.
I wonder if LVOs prioritize other streams and push PGP applicants further back in the queue.

Does switching LVO to Mississauga help speed up the process?
I understand your feelings. Because same case here