+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2019

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you, Robert, for posting this information.
That's a good move by the government, but it's insane to charge Canadians who are stuck in India a minimum of $2900 one-way from Delhi to Toronto.

The flights are still likely subsidized by the Canadian tax payer even at that price. These flights are flying empty in one direction so the prices will be higher. If people travelled during a pandemic or didn’t make arrangements to travel home when they saw what was happening in Wuhan then they assumed the risk. Canada is nice enough to provide travel loans if people can’t afford the cost. You also have the option of remaining in India. These are emergency repatriation flights not a seat sale from a budget airline.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think all PGP is on hold (not being processed at all) right now, no update in the track for almost 2 weeks.
A lot of the processing involves personal information so it would not be possible to work from home. There is also need to coordinate with other departments and countries which may not be possible given the current situation. There is likely some processing going on but anticipate that applications will be delayed.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
That's a good move by the government, but it's insane to charge Canadians who are stuck in India a minimum of $2900 one-way from Delhi to Toronto.
This is why we can’t have nice things. The Government is doing their best .Damned if they do, damned if they don’t

Btw, CERB is a tax deferred benefit . Taxes will be deducted when the return is filed, not at source aka issuance

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I think I need more people and then hire a lawyer who will write a collective letter on behalf of us all
You are kidding, right ? On the government’s list to action, the PGP more than likely isn’t even on the radar . Things like getting more medical supplies , making sure peoples homes aren’t taken because they can’t make there mortgage payments , oh yah, have as few as possible die from the virus as possible

Reactions: kwgcda and mmmmci

albertaorbust

Feb 8, 2009
From my educated guess, were the funds earned or not ?
In both these cases No
From personal experience I can tell you that Ei income is actually deducted from your total income. So if you have 100k on your line 150 of tax return and received 5k in ei then IRCC considers only 95k as your income.

Tarandeep Sabharwal

Feb 2, 2019
The flights are still likely subsidized by the Canadian tax payer even at that price. These flights are flying empty in one direction so the prices will be higher. If people travelled during a pandemic or didn’t make arrangements to travel home when they saw what was happening in Wuhan then they assumed the risk. Canada is nice enough to provide travel loans if people can’t afford the cost. You also have the option of remaining in India. These are emergency repatriation flights not a seat sale from a budget airline.
@canuck78
I just posted my opinion. I wasn't seeking anyone's advice on this. Also, I have a firm understanding that these are repatriation flights and not a seat sale. Besides that I am aware that they have a option of staying in India if not using thus repatriation flight. I do admire the Govt's initiatives for starting these flights.

Thanks

Tarandeep Sabharwal

Feb 2, 2019
This is why we can’t have nice things. The Government is doing their best .Damned if they do, damned if they don’t

Btw, CERB is a tax deferred benefit . Taxes will be deducted when the return is filed, not at source aka issuance
I have not complained anything about govt's initiative. It's all about understanding the perspectives from point of view of another individual. I just posted this coz when I read this news, I calculated that I have to pay about $15-16,000 if I want to use these repatriation flights. And I believe if you are taxpayer, it becomes difficult for you to spend this money at a time. I hope you could understand where I was coming from.

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
Quick question if anyone has answer will really appreciate
Does EI and CERB will counted towards our income?
No one can answer your question. You are a lawyer right?

If they treat same as EI, they shouldn't be counted towards income. But that is under normal circumstances and this ain't one.

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
It's 3000-5000 for anyone coming through these special flights from any country. Federal Govt giving a loan upto $5000 to cover this cost if needed.