+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2019

idefix

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2014
My parents came here in sept 2018 (2nd entry). The CBSA Officer said how long they gonna stay. They said 1 year. Then he didn’t put any stamp on passport. After that I called CBSA to make sure how long they can stay 6 months or 2 years(as rules changed in August 2018). He said default stay is 2 years if there is no stamp. Then I asked cic on fb messenger, they also said now default stay is 2 years if there is no stamp. Then they stayed for 8 months without applying for extension.
Yes, the official rule is 2 years, but the CBSA agents I talked to didn't know about this rule so they reinforce 6 months. So I got the extension letter to avoid discussions.

Reactions: anu_grewal

reachmenow

May 21, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Family PGP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2015
Doc's Request.
07-JULY-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
24-06-2016
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
24-June-2016
Med's Request
07-July-2016
Med's Done....
08-Aug-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
21-March-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-March-2017
LANDED..........
Sometime Before August 2017
hi Guys,

my application was received on June 10, no update so far , whats the other members experience with application received around these dates?

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
I have a distantly related question regarding temporary stay in Canada. My parents just gave their biometrics yesterday in the US (CPC-M is processing their case). When we entered the border at the Douglas crossing, the CBSA officer, for whatever reason, asked when they are leaving and, if so, why. I explained they intend to stay here to await the finalization of the the PGP application, but he seemed to insist they ought to leave Canada before their 6-mo stay expiry in October. I don't understand why, if they left Canada and re-entered (same-day). Doesn't that count as a reset of the 6-month counter, so to speak?
Hello Scientist,
Usually the 6 months period is per calendar year. Which means that you can stay in Canada as a visitor for 6 months in one year. In some cases extension could be granted but can be refused without bases too. If your parents get PR while they are still in Canada, they still have to exit Canada to get a stamp unless you specifically request on Land stamping in which case they will call your parents for interview and stamp for PR and provide landing papers.
As per the Border Security guard, your parents are still visitors (unless change of status happens) so he is simply stating the rules that apply to your parents as visitor.

Reactions: Empirical-Scientist

DC1018

Feb 18, 2017
I have a distantly related question regarding temporary stay in Canada. My parents just gave their biometrics yesterday in the US (CPC-M is processing their case). When we entered the border at the Douglas crossing, the CBSA officer, for whatever reason, asked when they are leaving and, if so, why. I explained they intend to stay here to await the finalization of the the PGP application, but he seemed to insist they ought to leave Canada before their 6-mo stay expiry in October. I don't understand why, if they left Canada and re-entered (same-day). Doesn't that count as a reset of the 6-month counter, so to speak?
The CBSA officer is correct. They must leave Canada after 6 months of staying unless it's a super visa or you are applying to extend the stay.

Going to the U.S. and returning by land crossing doesn't reset. Technically one must return to the home country, although going (flying) to Mexico, Cuba etc might work.

Reactions: Empirical-Scientist

OKTree

Jan 15, 2019
In addition, my mom's passport will be expired in Mar 2020 and she is here in Canada. Can I renew her passport in Canada before going back home? Has anybody done this before? Will this make her authorized stay stamp in the old passport invalid?

pgp_ns

Jul 10, 2019
Hi,

We received medical request for my father on 14-Aug. The medical completed on 16-Aug. After that there is no update on ECAS or CIC about medical report received and result. We checked with clinic medical exam carried out, they said they may have submitted report to IRCC in 10 days. Is there any reason that no update on IME yet ? Is this such case with others ?

Thanks !

harrygne

Star Member
Jun 22, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh (online)
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Passport Req..
08-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
land on 20-08-2014
Hi,

We received medical request for my father on 14-Aug. The medical completed on 16-Aug. After that there is no update on ECAS or CIC about medical report received and result. We checked with clinic medical exam carried out, they said they may have submitted report to IRCC in 10 days. Is there any reason that no update on IME yet ? Is this such case with others ?

Thanks !
What does it says in the CIC account for medical section?

ankz001

Sep 21, 2017
In addition, my mom's passport will be expired in Mar 2020 and she is here in Canada. Can I renew her passport in Canada before going back home? Has anybody done this before? Will this make her authorized stay stamp in the old passport invalid?
Yes you can, just renewed my mother’s. The stamp remains valid.

Reactions: calgary17

DarKnight

Feb 26, 2011
Hi,

Thanks !
I would question the clinic... What does "they may have submitted report to IRCC in 10 days" even mean? They should be able to tell you if it has been submitted or not. If they are not giving you a clear answer, that just means that they may have not submitted it yet.

I called my clinic after a week the medicals were done and they hadn't submitted the report yet, but they were honest about it and said the Dr. is too busy to review the results and I should call back after 10 business days. I called them back after 10 business days and they told me that it hasn't been uploaded still, but should definitely be done in the next 2 days. I decided not to call them before 2 days were over, but MyCIC got the update on the morning of the 3rd day (the day I was supposed to call them for another update).

TL;DR... Your clinic should give you a clear picture - if the report has been uploaded yet or not.

naticom

Jul 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2016
Doc's Request.
27-07-2016 RCMP
AOR Received.
AOR1 26-04-2016 AOR2 14-06-2016
File Transfer...
06-06-2016
Called CIC again. It took one hour from me again. The agent told me they made a mistake by sending the request to my account instead of my mother's so I have no way to receive the electronic request.

She said to request another email from the officer it would take another one month...
@robertp

SA finally changed to "In Process". CIC stated they have sent me correspondence but I didn't receive any email. Probably they've sent through regular mail. I'm calling CIC now.