+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2018

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Hi everyone,
I am new here and have 2 questions:
1. I am living by myself and my parents got divorced for 30 years. I want to sponsor one of them to immigrate to Canada. Should I meet 2 person LICO or 3 person LICO?
2. "To meet LICO" means "meet LICO amount x 1.3", is it correct?

Thanks.
You should be fine to sponsor one of your parents. You do not need to add anything to LICO as long as you are referring to LICO for PGP. The income shown on the Federal income table for parents and grandparents sponsorship is the total income you need to meet.

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Hi guys, just wanted to share some information regarding the Landing. I took my parents for an inland landing to the Etobicoke office on Dec 14th. We got there 30 mins early. I wasn't sure if I was to take another set of photographs for them as we had already attached the photographs with their PPR. I took two more copies of their photos anyway. When we walked into the immigration office, we were asked to show the invitation email/letter and their passport. You then take a token, and wait for your turn to go see the officer. The officer was very polite to my parents and recognized that they may have difficulty understanding him (I had also stated that as soon as I saw him at the counter). The sponsor has to be there obviously with the people who're landing. The officer asked each of my parent whether they had ever been convicted of a crime or if they were denied entry into Canada or if they were ever asked to leave Canada. Obviously, in our case the answer to those questions was NO. They signed their landing papers (one copy for self and one copy for immigrations). The end. Hope this information helps.
That's pretty much standard for all inland landings. Inland spouse landing goes the same.

Reactions: faiyaz.ally

Sandipppp

Star Member
Aug 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC- Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
AOR Received.
10-3-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
07-04-2015
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
Passport Req..
03-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-06-2015
LANDED..........
19-06-2015
@YULIA-2016 Medicals have been passed since Dec. 14/2018. I hope we can get PPR asap...

Reactions: YULIA-2016

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for quick response. I gave my SIN no. alone, so they can access tax return info from CRA. If they use the latest 3 years taxes filed, I hope its before April 2019. My EI+CCB alone is not enough to qualify.
They do check to see if you are maintaining your income level although it does depend on the timing of your application. Yes people have been denied because they didn't continue to meet LICO. Major culprits are mat leave or job loss. Also some people work more hours or get another job to boost their income to qualify but may stop when their application gets chosen. The processing times used to be much longer so there would be another couple years to check to see if they continued to meet LICO. As someone already pointed out CCB is not income and is not counted. Hopefully they don't check 2018 but you were aware when applying that you wouldn't be making the LICO for 2018. Do you have a partner? Did they co-sign?

Reactions: Malayer

petal765

Mar 20, 2014
Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
london/isb
App. Filed.......
27-09-2018
AOR Received.
12/18
File Transfer...
July8,2019
Med's Request
December 27,2019
Med's Done....
January 14,2020
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
February 11,2020
VISA ISSUED...
February 18,2020
LANDED..........
March 04,2020
Finally i am able to see my status as Application received with UCI. Application received on August 28. 2nd Round

Reactions: Chikki24

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Thanks for quick response. I gave my SIN no. alone, so they can access tax return info from CRA. If they use the latest 3 years taxes filed, I hope its before April 2019. My EI+CCB alone is not enough to qualify.
They do check to see if you are maintaining your income level although it does depend on the timing of your application. Yes people have been denied because they didn't continue to meet LICO. Major culprits are mat leave or job loss. Also some people work more hours or get another job to boost their income to qualify but may stop when their application gets chosen. The processing times used to be much longer so there would be another couple years to check to see if they continued to meet LICO. As someone already pointed out CCB is not income and is not counted. Hopefully they don't check 2018 but you were aware when applying that you wouldn't be making the LICO for 2018. Do you have a partner? Did they co-sign?
You are right about UCCB not counting towards gross income. Whilst job loses including dropping temporary part time jobs to boost income to meet LICO may contribute to PGP rejection, MAT leave could be argued under certain circumstances. The main reason for setting LICO is to ensure that the sponsor has enough income to support the parents and grandparents, which reduces the chance of having new comers relying on government support. As for REMM's case, she would have met LICO had she not taken MAT leave or taken shorter MAT leave. Once she's back to work again, she will meet LICO; hence, she can support her parents. Some applicants sponsor their parents mainly because they are having a baby and want their children to grow up with grandparents. If having a child ended up being the cause for rejection, I would definitely appeal under H&C grounds. It's not as if she stopped working those part time temporary income boosting jobs or lost her job altogether.

In any case, all you can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. There's nothing you can do now. If you have a co-signer, then you could be in the clear too.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are right about UCCB not counting towards gross income. Whilst job loses including dropping temporary part time jobs to boost income to meet LICO may contribute to PGP rejection, MAT leave could be argued under certain circumstances. The main reason for setting LICO is to ensure that the sponsor has enough income to support the parents and grandparents, which reduces the chance of having new comers relying on government support. As for REMM's case, she would have met LICO had she not taken MAT leave or taken shorter MAT leave. Once she's back to work again, she will meet LICO; hence, she can support her parents. Some applicants sponsor their parents mainly because they are having a baby and want their children to grow up with grandparents. If having a child ended up being the cause for rejection, I would definitely appeal under H&C grounds. It's not as if she stopped working those part time temporary income boosting jobs or lost her job altogether.

In any case, all you can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. There's nothing you can do now. If you have a co-signer, then you could be in the clear too.
Not meeting LICO because you were on mat leave doesn't give you H&C reasons. Your argument doesn't work because when the parent returns to work their costs go way up due to childcare costs, costs of perhaps a larger home, activity costs, cost of feeding.clothing/diapers, etc. Your disposable income before children is very different compared to during mat leave or when you are raising children. With the current LICO levels it will be a struggle covering the costs of the whole family in a large city. Apply again. It is much more realistic than going through H&C which is a long process which can be costly and given the clear guidelines for PGP the H&C case is not very strong.

MIKENZ123

Star Member
Oct 12, 2018
I am still waiting for sponsor approval. My fathers GC Key application status shows:

Details about your application status

When we get your application, there are a series of steps it may go through before we make a decision. Use the following table to find out the current status of each application step.

Application/profile details
Application step Current status Help
Review of eligibility Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility. Help - Review of eligibility
Review of medical results You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Review of medical results
Review of additional documents We do not need additional documents. Help - Review of additional documents
Interview You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Interview
Biometrics We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Biometrics
Background check Not applicable. Help - Background check
Final decision Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Why does it says you do not need medical exam?

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
I am still waiting for sponsor approval. My fathers GC Key application status shows:

Details about your application status

When we get your application, there are a series of steps it may go through before we make a decision. Use the following table to find out the current status of each application step.

Application/profile details
Application step Current status Help
Review of eligibility Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility. Help - Review of eligibility
Review of medical results You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Review of medical results
Review of additional documents We do not need additional documents. Help - Review of additional documents
Interview You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Interview
Biometrics We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Biometrics
Background check Not applicable. Help - Background check
Final decision Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Why does it says you do not need medical exam?
That is the standard status for all applicants in the beginning. Once they start processing the application, it will change and your father will receive medical request.

Blossom318

Star Member
Mar 26, 2014
All I can say getting police clearance from China is a painful process. Different places have different requirement.
The best thing is ask your parents to go to their hometown city directly.
Even CIC website mentioned POA is acceptable, but it's not the case at all.
Good luck!
Thank you, what’s POA?

Blossom318

Star Member
Mar 26, 2014
I am not sure what paper works required since your parents left China long time ago. I suggest to bring hukou, national ID, passport and the letter from IRCC. My case is pretty easy. My brother went to the police station last month and explained my parents are out of China. Then the clearance issued.
I see. They no longer have hukou and they have another country’s passport . Sigh.. this seems like it’s gonna be a long process

thenike

Jul 27, 2012
AOR does not contain visa office. You need to wait until you get sponsorship approval (SA) to get local visa office assigned to your application.

If you do not know your visa office, it means you only have AOR. Did you receive PCC request from CIC? If that’s not the case, there’s no point in sending it since police clearance certificates are only good for 6 months. So, you will most likely have to send another one in the future anyway.
Thanks for this info @curious205 . I received AOR, Sponsorship approval and finally got Medical and PCC requests. I checked the SA letter and there it was mentioned that I should contact CPC Ottawa in case of any changes to the application or if I need to send documents. I am guessing that this indicates my visa office is Ottawa?
Thanks alot! This helps me.

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Not meeting LICO because you were on mat leave doesn't give you H&C reasons. Your argument doesn't work because when the parent returns to work their costs go way up due to childcare costs, costs of perhaps a larger home, activity costs, cost of feeding.clothing/diapers, etc. Your disposable income before children is very different compared to during mat leave or when you are raising children. With the current LICO levels it will be a struggle covering the costs of the whole family in a large city. Apply again. It is much more realistic than going through H&C which is a long process which can be costly and given the clear guidelines for PGP the H&C case is not very strong.
I’m sure you are aware that we’re talking about someone else, not me, right? We’re also talking about hypothetical but potential scenario, where CIC happens to check REEM’s income and rejected her application. None of that has happened yet, and no one knows for sure what would happen. She’s not at a point where she needs to completely abandon her application as you are suggesting.

Argument can be made for approving grandparents as they can help with child care which helps to cut the cost down. Besides, if she meets LICO for all her family members including her new borne, it’s even harder to penalize her for taking MAT leave. We can go back and forth and argue on her case. But, none of that matters in the end.

I made a suggestion based on what I would do if I were her. I know for sure that it’d be a PR disaster for this government if a woman was penalized for taking MAT leave, which caused PGP rejection. Appeal on H&R grounds is not too far fetched and the government that claims to promote women’s rights and equality would be more sympathetic to her case.

Again, that’s what I would do if I were her.

Last edited: