+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2018

kbanatwala

Jan 17, 2014
On the interest form, under Your parents’ and grandparents’ information, do I provide names of all family members who are being sponsored ?

So I am planning to sponsor my dad, mom and brother. Do I provide only my dad's information as mom and brother are dependents ?

Or should I fill out my dad's and mom's information on two separate lines ?
You will fill out your dad's and mom's information on two separate lines

rosaAdl

Jan 2, 2018
Cannot sponsor parents and grandparents both. If parents are deceased, then can sponsor grandparents.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I was going through "Guide 5772 - Application to sponsor Parents and Grandparents" and I couldn't find any clause saying that it is an exclusive OR.
Can you point me to where you have read this rule?

kbanatwala

Jan 17, 2014
I was going through "Guide 5772 - Application to sponsor Parents and Grandparents" and I couldn't find any clause saying that it is an exclusive OR.
Can you point me to where you have read this rule?
You can sponsor both your parents and grandparents. There is nothing like "if parents are deceased, then can sponsor grandparents" ..

Reading at most of the comments especially in this forum I see many are trying to misguide... So please instead of relying on comments read the "Guide 5772 - Application to sponsor Parents and Grandparents"

rosaAdl

Jan 2, 2018
You can sponsor both your parents and grandparents. There is nothing like "if parents are deceased, then can sponsor grandparents" ..

Reading at most of the comments especially in this forum I see many are trying to misguide... So please instead of relying on comments read the "Guide 5772 - Application to sponsor Parents and Grandparents"
Thank you for the honest answer sir :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Seems it's official they will accept 2015/2016/2017 income for 2018 PGP program.

This means the intake part after lottery is drawn, should be open for a long time to allow both regular and self-employed people to finish their 2017 taxes. So probably expect same timing as last year.

Also while income calculations is showing directly on the interest form, there is no actual check for income upfront so nothing to stop ineligible people from applying. Will be interesting to see how many eligible apps actually end up getting submitted this time around.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Guys,

Please advise for Quebec residents, Is the financial evaluation for the last 12 months going to be based on 2017?
Quebec follows it's own rules so nobody can really say. But expect it will be just a bit higher than the 2016 LICO.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Seems it's official they will accept 2015/2016/2017 income for 2018 PGP program.

This means the intake part after lottery is drawn, should be open for a long time to allow both regular and self-employed people to finish their 2017 taxes. So probably expect same timing as last year.

Also while income calculations is showing directly on the interest form, there is no actual check for income upfront so nothing to stop ineligible people from applying. Will be interesting to see how many eligible apps actually end up getting submitted this time around.
@Rob_TO, do you know if both parents AND grandparents can be sponsored at the same time ? Thought I read somewhere that it's either/or, not both.

Also, I had filled out the application before once and am looking at it again. To sponsor both parents, and grandparents, who would be the principal applicant ?

If grandfather is the principal applicant, then how can we include our parents because they are not dependents.
If father is the principal applicant, then grandparents don't fit the definition of dependents.

The main application form (imm0008enu_2d), only allows for one principal applicant (person who is being sponsored) and his dependents to be included. Dependents can be spouse, common-law partner, and all dependent children.

Tagging @kbanatwala, @rosaAdl, if you guys have figured this out already.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
@Rob_TO, do you know if both parents AND grandparents can be sponsored? Thought I read somewhere that it's either/or, not both.

Also, I had filled out the application before once and am looking at it again. To sponsor both parents, and grandparents, who would be the principal applicant ?

If grandfather is the principal applicant, then how can we include our parents because they are not dependents.
If father is the principal applicant, then grandparents don't fit the definition of dependents.

The main application form (imm0008enu_2d), only allows for one principal applicant (person who is being sponsored) and his dependents to be included. Dependents can be spouse, common-law partner, and all dependent children.

Tagging @kbanatwala, @rosaAdl, if you guys have figured this out already.
Parents and grandparents can be sponsored at the same time through separate applications.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=14.1

Can I sponsor more than one person through the Parents and Grandparents Program?

Yes, you may sponsor more than one person if you want to.

If you are invited to apply, you can sponsor your parents and grandparents (separately in the case of divorce).

To do so, you will need to submit separate applications for each person (or couple) you sponsor. We will process each application separately.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Parents and grandparents can be sponsored at the same time through separate applications.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=14.1

Can I sponsor more than one person through the Parents and Grandparents Program?

Yes, you may sponsor more than one person if you want to.

If you are invited to apply, you can sponsor your parents and grandparents (separately in the case of divorce).

To do so, you will need to submit separate applications for each person (or couple) you sponsor. We will process each application separately.
So 1 lottery slot for 2 applications? Wish this was better documented.

" separately in the case of divorce" clause is weird.

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
Hello,

I have two questions regarding processing times.

1. The IRCC website says that they are working on PGP applications received in Jan 2014. However, I have been searching the forums and from the 2016 PGP spreadsheet it seems that folks who applied in Jan 2016 have already gotten their PRs and completed landing. So, why does the CIC website say Jan 2014 when parents/grandparents of sponsors who applied in Jan 2016 have completed the entire process till landing.
Link to 2016 spreadsheet from another thread on this forum:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ujwMXUzGTckLlr1dkuitOOKiqpp5_bhhLDKxDe3NDg/edit#gid=0

2. Can anyone share the lottery dates from last year? If I an not mistaken, it seems there were two lotteries. Also, when someone is selected to apply, how much time are they given to submit the application? Is it 90 days or some other timeline? It's not super clear to me from the 2017 spreadsheet. (Link to 2017 spread in case someone is interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B_YAyszLcUxbfe0ur7WPZRPJ0y2COpRJSt8Ce19yrhI/edit#gid=1444578034

Some police certificates can be tricky and I am not sure if I should be gathering any documents now or if I should just wait for the lottery outcome.

Thanks a lot for everyone's help.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
1. The IRCC website says that they are working on PGP applications received in Jan 2014. However, I have been searching the forums and from the 2016 PGP spreadsheet it seems that folks who applied in Jan 2016 have already gotten their PRs and completed landing.
IRCC is also working on applications from 2011 and earlier (still active threads on this topic). As with every other immigration process, there are those applications that move smoothly through the system and those that don’t. The spread sheet doesn’t really indicate an accurate sampling of all applications.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Yes, a sponsor can submit multiple applications with one lottery slot.

I'm not sure why you think it is weird. If your parents are married, you submit one application for them. If they are divorced, you submit separate apps for them.

rosaAdl

Jan 2, 2018

I think the statement refers to actual application forms when/if you get selected. It does not seem to mention anything about the online form.