+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2018

ivehope

Apr 17, 2017
Hello everyone,

My parents don't have the last name on their passports (just given name). The web form requires both first name and last name. Could you please suggest what to do in this case? Based on the link below, CIC doesn't accept NA or Not applicable in the first name field (if I put the given name under the last name when submitting the form).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=014&top=4

Appreciate your help!

onlymtl

Star Member
Dec 30, 2013
Hi everyone,

I just submitted my interest form for 2018.

My question is, when I signed that form before submitting ( by clicking on the SIGN button right above SUBMIT) , nothing happened visually.

Is that normal? Wondering if it indeed got signed or not.. :(

sappi

Star Member
Oct 24, 2017
Hi everyone,

I just submitted my interest form for 2018.

My question is, when I signed that form before submitting ( by clicking on the SIGN button right above SUBMIT) , nothing happened visually.

Is that normal? Wondering if it indeed got signed or not.. :(
There is actually a visual difference. The submit button turns dark blue (it is not clickable prior to you clicking sign button). Basically, you can not submit the form without signing it.

onlymtl

Star Member
Dec 30, 2013
There is actually a visual difference. The submit button turns dark blue (it is not clickable prior to you clicking sign button). Basically, you can not submit the form without signing it.
Ok, in that case then I am good. I was able to successfully submit it. Also got the confirmation number after.

That submit button turning dark blue is not very evident apparently. thanks for pointing it out!

Reactions: sappi

onlymtl

Star Member
Dec 30, 2013
Hello everyone,

My parents don't have the last name on their passports (just given name). The web form requires both first name and last name. Could you please suggest what to do in this case? Based on the link below, CIC doesn't accept NA or Not applicable in the first name field (if I put the given name under the last name when submitting the form).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=014&top=4

Appreciate your help!

Well, as the link you posted says, put your parent's given name in the last name field and leave the last name blank. Does it not let you submit the form if the last name is kept blank?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Does anyone know how they mark applications as duplicates?
I have submitted an online form for my parents but now I want to add my grandmother as well. If I do another application for her, would it be considered a duplicate?
Cannot sponsor parents and grandparents both. If parents are deceased, then can sponsor grandparents.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

A1111

Star Member
Feb 3, 2016
Hi,

Its just me and my husband live in Canada now. And we are planning to sponsor our parents separately (i will sponsor my parents and my husband will sponsor his parents), would like to get clarification on below question from the form

Q1: How many family members are currently in your family unit?
will this be 2 as its only I and my husband currently live in Canada and no dependent on us so far

Q2: Tell us the number of persons you want to sponsor and their family members.
will this be 2(my parents only) or 4 ( as i will co-signing my husband parents in a separate application which he does )

please clarify

RamiB

Oct 19, 2016
Hi
Just want to ask when u submit the online form they ask the information for parents nd grandparents but there is no column for dependent child . So it means no need to fill out any information for dependent.
Thanks

Chandra10

Jan 2, 2018
Hi,
I would like to sponsor my parents, but I do not qualify the income criteria. I was not working in the last 4/ 5 years. But the family income( my husband’s) in all the 3 years is above the minimum requirement. Would you please let me know if I am eligible even though my earning was nil?
Thanks
Chandra

Pearl1

Mar 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for the response.

A more specific question:
Right now in the "expression of interest" online forms available this morning, there is no question about the name of co-signer at this stage. BUT there is a specific question (Question No 4) asking "do you have enough income to support yourself? - Yes or -No".

Do you mean whether

1) she should enter yes for now in the online form, and later on if she is selected, then we demonstrate the minimum income using the co-signer income history (which is me) ?

Or

2) I should apply for my wife's parents directly as an sponsor under my own name?

Please help advice.
You CANNOT sponsor your in-laws.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1356&top=14

On the interest form, even if you select my spouse's parents/grandparents as a response to first questions, you will get a warning message and won't be able to proceed with filling out the form further.

"If you are selected to apply, you can only sponsor your own parents and grandparents. You can’t use your invitation to become a co-signer for your spouse or partner’s parents and grandparents. Find out more."

Last edited:

kbanatwala

Jan 17, 2014
Hi,
I would like to sponsor my parents, but I do not qualify the income criteria. I was not working in the last 4/ 5 years. But the family income( my husband’s) in all the 3 years is above the minimum requirement. Would you please let me know if I am eligible even though my earning was nil?
Thanks
Chandra
I believe you will still be able to sponsor your parents as long as your husband is cosigner in the application form once you get the invite.

Reactions: Chandra10

kbanatwala

Jan 17, 2014
Hi,

Its just me and my husband live in Canada now. And we are planning to sponsor our parents separately (i will sponsor my parents and my husband will sponsor his parents), would like to get clarification on below question from the form

will this be 2 as its only I and my husband currently live in Canada and no dependent on us so far

will this be 2(my parents only) or 4 ( as i will co-signing my husband parents in a separate application which he does )

please clarify
Yes correct. It will be 2 in your case

Yes it will be 2 your parents only, and your husband will have to fill out a separate interest to sponsor form and he will have to select 2 on his.

Pearl1

Mar 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On the interest form, under Your parents’ and grandparents’ information, do I provide names of all family members who are being sponsored ?

So I am planning to sponsor my dad, mom and brother. Do I provide only my dad's information as mom and brother are dependents ?

Or should I fill out my dad's and mom's information on two separate lines ?