+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2018

rocky276

Jan 8, 2018
calgary
This is literaly the very first question asked on the interest form page. Why aren't people simply reading the very basic instructions provided?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/tell-us-you-want-sponsor-parent-grandparent.html

To access the interest to sponsor form, answer these questions:

Who would you like to sponsor? (required)
My own parents and grandparents
My spouse or partners’ parents and grandparents

If you are selected to apply, you can only sponsor your own parents and grandparents. You can’t use your invitation to become a co-signer for your spouse or partner’s parents and grandparents. Find out more.
Thank You for reply, i got it now

kashgrewal

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
hi i also want to ask something i live with my mom and brother my mom and dad are divorced but i want to sponsor my dad so how much income do i need? will my brothers income be counted?

jackiecly

Apr 9, 2017
hi i also want to ask something i live with my mom and brother my mom and dad are divorced but i want to sponsor my dad so how much income do i need? will my brothers income be counted?
your brothers income doesnt count. your family size is 3 you, your mom and your dad

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Where do you live with your mom and your brother? Is your mom already a PR or Canadian citizen?
Your brother's income doesn't count. Since your mom and dad are divorced, I think you can sponsor only one of them and their dependant plus new partner if any.

Reactions: kashgrewal

kashgrewal

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
Where do you live with your mom and your brother? Is your mom already a PR or Canadian citizen?
Your brother's income doesn't count. Since your mom and dad are divorced, I think you can sponsor only one of them and their dependant plus new partner if any.
she is on WP. why my brothers income doesnt count? we both live with our mom in BC

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
she is on WP. why my brothers income doesnt count? we both live with our mom in BC
Yes siblings aren't counted as "family" here unless they are dependents of the parents (e.g. kids).

Adults are view as individuals. (same terminology for extended health insurance coverage...etc)
Since your mom is on work permit, she isn't counted under your family unit either. (she would be counted if you previously sponsored her under parent sponsorship)

If your dad is single and has no dependent, then your current family size is 1 (assuming you are single and do not have kids). The number of people you want to sponsor is also 1. So the minimum income to qualify for sponsoring your dad is for family size of 2.

kashgrewal

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
Yes siblings aren't counted as "family" here unless they are dependents of the parents (e.g. kids).

Adults are view as individuals. (same terminology for extended health insurance coverage...etc)
Since your mom is on work permit, she isn't counted under your family unit either. (she would be counted if you previously sponsored her under parent sponsorship)

If your dad is single and has no dependent, then your current family size is 1 (assuming you are single and do not have kids). The number of people you want to sponsor is also 1. So the minimum income to qualify for sponsoring your dad is for family size of 2.
for now we both are dependent on my mom im 20 my brother is 18 so is he counted as family until 21?

jackiecly

Apr 9, 2017
you mean he is not part of our family? that sounds weired to me
well, you said your brother had his own earnings. so I dont think it counted into your family size which is good. Why his earning is not counting because when you sponsor, only you and your spouse earning count.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Do you even have PR/Citizen status or are you just here under your mom's work permit??

If you're a PR/ciitzen, since your're just 20 do you have income in Canada for past 3 years of around $39,000??

kashgrewal

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
SO here is the full story guys we use to live in manila,philippines although we are indians . my dad is in india and 3 of us brother,mother,me applied for canada visitor visa my mom mistakenly stated that she is a divorcee now she is on WP and me and my sibling are dependents but on my moms passport it says she is married even when she applied for WP she stated she is married legally she is. so now 3 of us want to sponsor our father so he can come here on open WP it it possible?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
for now we both are dependent on my mom im 20 my brother is 18 so is he counted as family until 21?
So your mom is on work permit and you and your brothers are PR/Citizen?
I am confused.

Still as we all state, only adults can sponsor their parents and only income from spouse (as co-sponsor) are counted.
And you do know that once your sponsored your dad, you are responsible for him the next 20 years after he becomes a PR.
If at any point he gets social assistant for the next 20 years after he becomes a PR, you need to pay the government back.
You are still very young and you should really think through this before you step into this big commitment.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
SO here is the full story guys we use to live in manila,philippines although we are indians . my dad is in india and 3 of us brother,mother,me applied for canada visitor visa my mom mistakenly stated that she is a divorcee now she is on WP and me and my sibling are dependents but on my moms passport it says she is married even when she applied for WP she stated she is married legally she is. so now 3 of us want to sponsor our father so he can come here on open WP it it possible?
OKYEE...

You cannot sponsor unless you are a PR or a Canadian Citizen.
This sponsorship is NOT about work permit.