+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2018

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
plus 1000$ penalty, money is always working :rolleyes:
I agree with you YULIA, IRCC should add a money component in the lucky draw, may be a Lucky Draw fee i.e. people pay X amount to enter the draw, if they are picked in draw, that fee gets adjusted into the total application fee when sponsor submits the application package; and those who didn't make it get their money back. If IRCC doesn't want to invest in getting that much automation for taking care of refunds and adjustment of money into the fee, then they should provide and option of uploading an entangle/ verifiable information (e.g. NOAs or passport/ PR card copy) on their website.

This year, in the lucky draw website there were few more questions than last year, but simple YES NO questions won't stop some notorious people from putting their name in the draw. Its sad to see some eligible applicants not been able to make it this year due to the loop hole in website; may be not as big as last year, but it's still there.

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask a general question about the pros and cons for parents sponsorship, any thoughts ..experiences? thanks a lot
Parents/Grandparents sponsorship is a process to get your parents/grandparents to immigrate to Canada. I am not sure about its pros/cons that you are asking about? in order to be able to sponsor your parents, you must meet all of the following conditions:
1/ You are PR or Canadian living in Canada
2/ Meet the required incomes for x amount of year (3 years for now) before the year you apply
2/ Get selected from the lucky draw

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
I agree with you YULIA, IRCC should add a money component in the lucky draw, may be a Lucky Draw fee i.e. people pay X amount to enter the draw, if they are picked in draw, that fee gets adjusted into the total application fee when sponsor submits the application package; and those who didn't make it get their money back. If IRCC doesn't want to invest in getting that much automation for taking care of refunds and adjustment of money into the fee, then they should provide and option of uploading an entangle/ verifiable information (e.g. NOAs or passport/ PR card copy) on their website.

This year, in the lucky draw website there were few more questions than last year, but simple YES NO questions won't stop some notorious people from putting their name in the draw. Its sad to see some eligible applicants not been able to make it this year due to the loop hole in website; may be not as big as last year, but it's still there.
Oh I remember there are some debates about this topic and what's not... As someone from this forum states that there is nothing that the Govt can do to prevent those ineligible to throw their names in the lucky draw process... If you require IRCC to check for the proof of incomes, someone from this forum also don't think it's possible as it is resource intensive and the CIC cannot check all the NoAs. And someone from this forum said that, we can put the deposit requirement in place but then again, it will require some additional labor/resource to refund the money back to those are not selected...
So what to do now?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Oh I remember there are some debates about this topic and what's not... As someone from this forum states that there is nothing that the Govt can do to prevent those ineligible to throw their names in the lucky draw process... If you require IRCC to check for the proof of incomes, someone from this forum also don't think it's possible as it is resource intensive and the CIC cannot check all the NoAs. And someone from this forum said that, we can put the deposit requirement in place but then again, it will require some additional labor/resource to refund the money back to those are not selected...
So what to do now?
Easy, make it a non-refundable fee to enter the lottery. Even if it's something as low as $25, the very fact you're paying anything will cause people to check a lot harder that they actually qualify.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Easy, make it a non-refundable fee to enter the lottery. Even if it's something as low as $25, the very fact you're paying anything will cause people to check a lot harder that they actually qualify.
Then people will complain that they are trying to money grab. $25 for lottery that you might not win. Why pay?

Some may say they are on EI and cannot afford $25. Then what? They apply for assistance to waive the $25? Again too much work.

just make it simple. You submit intent you get chosen you jolly submit an application that is valid. If you don't submit anything we assume you didn't qualify or if you submit an invalid application then because you wasted someone's spot we ban you for 3 years to get your income in order again.

FAIR? It's easy cos they just need to flag the selected persons name and address. Minimal strain on resources. Costs no money to applicants being banned.

FAIR?

I'd say some people could even cheat by putting in same name but different address. But if they do the same and get banned again they need more addresses.

FAIR?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Then people will complain that they are trying to money grab. $25 for lottery that you might not win. Why pay?

Some may say they are on EI and cannot afford $25. Then what? They apply for assistance to waive the $25? Again too much work.

just make it simple. You submit intent you get chosen you jolly submit an application that is valid. If you don't submit anything we assume you didn't qualify or if you submit an invalid application then because you wasted someone's spot we ban you for 3 years to get your income in order again.

FAIR? It's easy cos they just need to flag the selected persons name and address. Minimal strain on resources. Costs no money to applicants being banned.

FAIR?

I'd say some people could even cheat by putting in same name but different address. But if they do the same and get banned again they need more addresses.

FAIR?
So, who cares if people complain?? If you can't afford $25 (or $50 or $100 or whatever a lottery entry fee may be) you shouldn't be applying to sponsor your parents in the first place. Money is simply added government revenue.

Banning isn't the answer. What if someone qualified at time of lottery but then their family situation changes after winning a lottery spot making them suddenly ineligible? That is of no fault of the sponsor.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
So, who cares if people complain?? If you can't afford $25 (or $50 or $100 or whatever a lottery entry fee may be) you shouldn't be applying to sponsor your parents in the first place. Money is simply added government revenue.

Banning isn't the answer. What if someone qualified at time of lottery but then their family situation changes after winning a lottery spot making them suddenly ineligible? That is of no fault of the sponsor.
Rob, am I hearing you correctly? I thought the the first come first serve system was scrapped precisely because it favored those who had money. And the people who could not afford were complaining. And now you say who cares if people complain? And if you cannot afford to (hire a courier?) you shouldn't be applying to sponsor in the first place?

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
If someone's family situation changes after winning a lottery spot that makes them suddenly ineligible, it is likely they will need to wait 3 years to apply again anyway.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Rob, am I hearing you correctly? I thought the the first come first serve system was scrapped precisely because it favored those who had money. And the people who could not afford were complaining. And now you say who cares if people complain? And if you cannot afford to (hire a courier?) you shouldn't be applying to sponsor in the first place?
No, it had nothing to do with people affording it. FIFO would have allowed couriers to start gouging customers (I would expect fees in the thousands eventually as it got harder and harder to get a spot), and still being a lottery since you would need to pick the right courier.

A set minimal fee to enter lottery is negligible.

If someone's family situation changes after winning a lottery spot that makes them suddenly ineligible, it is likely they will need to wait 3 years to apply again anyway.
Perhaps it just caused them to miss out on the earliest 1 year, who knows. The point is there would always be reasonable exceptions.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
No, it had nothing to do with people affording it. FIFO would have allowed couriers to start gouging customers (I would expect fees in the thousands eventually as it got harder and harder to get a spot), and still being a lottery since you would need to pick the right courier.

A set minimal fee to enter lottery is negligible.
What is considered negligible depends on who you ask. Also with competition in the industry there is no way they can gouge customers to fees in thousands. There will always be couriers willing to do it for less.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Then ban for 1 year.
Bans are a silly idea. Too hard to track and monitor. IRCC can just hold re-draws each year until they hit 10K eligible apps.

What is considered negligible depends on who you ask. Also with competition in the industry there is no way they can gouge customers to fees in thousands. There will always be couriers willing to do it for less.
Of course they can gouge, there are not that many legitimate privite couriers to choose from.
Anyways the FIFO/courier system is never coming back to irrelevant to even discuss it.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Yes Rob. We have discussed this before. Your ideas are good and mine have always been the worst. :( It's always been that way.

anyway doesnt matter what we discuss here. CIC will do what they wanna do.

Frankly I don't want to have to be paying $25 every year and be penalized because of stupid people who would apply when they don't qualify. Why should I have to pay the price of other people not following the rules and be penalized for their undoings? They should pay not me.

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
I agree with ROB_TO, a non-refundable entry fee could serve the purpose of making people think before they apply and potentially deter ineligible people from applying. And may be that revenue will eventually help IRCC to put resources in taking it further i.e. revamp of lottery website with provisions of verification of eligibility during weed-out process OR to have a mechanism in place to provide refund or adjustment of entry fee into the application fee, perhaps in that case the entry fee should be a higher amount ($450....). Higher amount shouldn't panic eligible candidates.
And IRCC/ CIC will listen only if someone raises the voice, problem is people do not share their concerns or bring their concerns up. May be it takes time, but someday someone will knock on the door of IRCC with your problem in hand.