+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2017

sthuse

Star Member
Aug 21, 2013
hello friends, i got a invite to apply for my parents :) indeed a very good news for my family !
as this is a long thread has anyone summarized does or donts for the application?

any input for starting the application will be much appreciated.

APAK

Nov 7, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2012
File Transfer...
Transferred to ottawa in Nov 2012,transferred to ISB july 2013
LANDED..........
cannot wait!!
In that case; you don't even need to co-sign. Keep it simple and let your husband be the only sponsor.
My son can be the sponsor? He is 2 months old. .please let me know

APAK

Nov 7, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2012
File Transfer...
LANDED..........
cannot wait!!
Wrong - husband can't sponsor his mother in law and father in law. Their child needs to be the sponsor and the husband needs to co-sign.
My child is 2 months old. Can he be the sponsor?

APAK

Nov 7, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2012
File Transfer...
LANDED..........
cannot wait!!
LOL you are the child to your parents, therefore you as their child need to sponsor them. :)
Lol thanks

OK so I can apply then? I have NOA for 2016 and 2015. Husband has NOA for 2014 2015 2016. Husbands income is above LICO individually for all three years.?

Second question- u have to be a PR for 3 years to apply for parents?

Last edited:

haXudon

May 31, 2015
There is a section in the instruction guide where it says "you can't sponsor your parents if you already have applied for spouse/relative and the previous application's decision is not made yet".so possibly it's a no
ok so yeah maybe it's a NO. i have to check again...

Well Wisher

May 23, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2012
Nomination.....
December 2012
AOR Received.
27-02-2013
File Transfer...
27-02-2013
Med's Request
03-03-2013
Med's Done....
13-03-2013
Passport Req..
03-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
LANDED..........
20-07-2013
but but but...

i have income tax in the US. so my case is definitely a YES.
Did you reported that US/World income to Canada and paid taxes on it ?
What matters is what you have on last 3 NOA's from CRA. How and where you get paid is doesn't matter. Just whatsoever is on NOA, makes you qualify.

haXudon

May 31, 2015
Hi, CIC have requirements on 3 years income (2013-2015) so I don't think you can apply unless you have co-signer and his/her income meet the LICO.
Please check for the requirement before you put your interest in the draw next year. I am one of unlucky but qualified sponsor and I didn't get picked for both round selections this year and not sure when I can be lucky enough to get picked. I am really hoping for some sponsors like you that are not qualified for it DO NOT put your interest in the pool! It is really unfair for other sponsors who are qualified and have waited for years to apply.
For your case, please consider to put interest in the pool in 2019.
but i am qualified tho. because i have income in the US ever since. besides, i've checked with immigration lawyer and they said that US income is fine.

mish

Feb 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
19/08/2014
VISA ISSUED...
Mashallah
LANDED..........
Nov 2014
Hi every one, I have two questions
We got the invitation, it has asked the the NOA or OPTION C for the 2014, 2015, 2016 TAX YEARS
So this means, the whole 2014, 2015, 2016 year.

Also can we apply for super visa, while it is in process..

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Did you reported that US/World income to Canada and paid taxes on it ?
What matters is what you have on last 3 NOA's from CRA. How and where you get paid is doesn't matter. Just whatsoever is on NOA, makes you qualify.
Completely wrong.

Income earned while not physically living in Canada, does not count. US income can only count if you're living in Canada while it's earned (so crossing the border to go to work in US every day, working remotely for US company, earning US investment income, etc). This is clearly stated in the manuals: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf
5.30. Financial requirements
The financial test is needed to prove that sponsors can support sponsored persons for the period of the undertaking. For more details, see Minimum Necessary Income Requirement: Low-Income Cut-Off levels (LICO), section 5.32, Exception to Minimum Necessary Income Requirement, section 5.33 and Low Income Cut-Off and Quebec Income Scale, Appendix F.

Financial resources:
• may include the resources of the sponsor’s spouse or common-law partner if the sponsor’s financial resources are inadequate and the sponsor’s spouse or common-law partner declares their resources as income on their Canadian tax return and they co-sign the undertaking.
• cannot include pooled resources from other relatives to meet the income test.

Financial resources must originate from Canadian sources for the following reasons:
• employment income abroad is not a reliable indicator of future or stable employment in Canada.
• CPC staff cannot easily verify if foreign income can be transferred to Canada.
• converting foreign income into Canadian dollars is resource-intensive.
• in cases of default, collection and litigation, it is easier to recover income from Canadian sources.
For more information, see: Exceptions to the Canadian income rule, section 5.31.

5.31. Exceptions to Canadian income rule
The exceptions to the Canadian income rule are as follows:
• sponsors who commute from Canada to work in the U.S.A. can use their U.S. employment income provided it is declared as income on their Canadian income tax return;
• sponsors living in Canada who declare income from foreign sources on their Canadian tax returns, can use this foreign income to meet the financial requirements for sponsorship.

Discretionary approval of financial requirements is not possible.

but i am qualified tho. because i have income in the US ever since. besides, i've checked with immigration lawyer and they said that US income is fine.
Sounds like a very crappy lawyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: spy118 and sapguru