+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2017

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi every one, I have two questions
We got the invitation, it has asked the the NOA or OPTION C for the 2014, 2015, 2016 TAX YEARS
So this means, the whole 2014, 2015, 2016 year.

Also can we apply for super visa, while it is in process..
Yes, they can apply for super visa while in process.

yalgar

Oct 13, 2013
For those who already got the Sponsorship approval, can you please provide the sender of the email and subject format. I need to put a filter so as to not miss it out of the several junk mails I receive

spy118

Feb 15, 2017
Lol thanks

OK so I can apply then? I have NOA for 2016 and 2015. Husband has NOA for 2014 2015 2016. Husbands income is above LICO individually for all three years.?

Second question- u have to be a PR for 3 years to apply for parents?
Unfortunately it seems you don't qualify this year. Since you're sponsoring your parents, you need to have NOA for the last three years meeting LICO. Your husband's 3-year NOA although meets LICO, would only count if he was sponsoring his parents and you were the co signer.

spy118

Feb 15, 2017
hello friends, i got a invite to apply for my parents :) indeed a very good news for my family !
as this is a long thread has anyone summarized does or donts for the application?

any input for starting the application will be much appreciated.
I suggest reading the application guide thoroughly since it covers everything. You're welcome to ask questions after you've read through it.

Reactions: mufarina

spy118

Feb 15, 2017
Hi every one, I have two questions
We got the invitation, it has asked the the NOA or OPTION C for the 2014, 2015, 2016 TAX YEARS
So this means, the whole 2014, 2015, 2016 year.

Also can we apply for super visa, while it is in process..
Yes, it's needed for 3-years but you need to meet LICO for each of those years individually. If your (primary sponsor) plus any co-signer's income doesn't meet LICO for any of those years, you don't qualify. Unless you're in QC then it's only 1 year.

There's no restriction on applying for a super visa during this time.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Everybody has income somewhere before they come to Canada. Do they count? NO!
How do you suppose to know your first sentence? Especially those who were minors before the come Canada, most of them wouldn't.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Unfortunately it seems you don't qualify this year. Since you're sponsoring your parents, you need to have NOA for the last three years meeting LICO. Your husband's 3-year NOA although meets LICO, would only count if he was sponsoring his parents and you were the co signer.
No, the sponsor doesn't need to be making any income as long as their co-signer meets the income requirement. So if co-signer meets parents LICO for all 3 previous years while residing in Canada, for entire family size, then that would make her eligible to sponsor.

A PR can technically sponsor their parents the same day as they arrive in Canada as a PR, without having any previous income. As long as their co-signer qualifies for everything.

Reactions: ALM123 and spy118

Well Wisher

May 23, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2012
Nomination.....
December 2012
AOR Received.
27-02-2013
File Transfer...
27-02-2013
Med's Request
03-03-2013
Med's Done....
13-03-2013
Passport Req..
03-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
LANDED..........
20-07-2013
Completely wrong.

Income earned while not physically living in Canada, does not count. US income can only count if you're living in Canada while it's earned (so crossing the border to go to work in US every day, working remotely for US company, earning US investment income, etc). This is clearly stated in the manuals: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf
5.30. Financial requirements
The financial test is needed to prove that sponsors can support sponsored persons for the period of the undertaking. For more details, see Minimum Necessary Income Requirement: Low-Income Cut-Off levels (LICO), section 5.32, Exception to Minimum Necessary Income Requirement, section 5.33 and Low Income Cut-Off and Quebec Income Scale, Appendix F.

Financial resources:
• may include the resources of the sponsor’s spouse or common-law partner if the sponsor’s financial resources are inadequate and the sponsor’s spouse or common-law partner declares their resources as income on their Canadian tax return and they co-sign the undertaking.
• cannot include pooled resources from other relatives to meet the income test.

Financial resources must originate from Canadian sources for the following reasons:
• employment income abroad is not a reliable indicator of future or stable employment in Canada.
• CPC staff cannot easily verify if foreign income can be transferred to Canada.
• converting foreign income into Canadian dollars is resource-intensive.
• in cases of default, collection and litigation, it is easier to recover income from Canadian sources.
For more information, see: Exceptions to the Canadian income rule, section 5.31.

5.31. Exceptions to Canadian income rule
The exceptions to the Canadian income rule are as follows:
• sponsors who commute from Canada to work in the U.S.A. can use their U.S. employment income provided it is declared as income on their Canadian income tax return;
• sponsors living in Canada who declare income from foreign sources on their Canadian tax returns, can use this foreign income to meet the financial requirements for sponsorship.

Discretionary approval of financial requirements is not possible.

Sounds like a very crappy lawyer.
What Completely Wrong.?
I said if the World income is not declared to CRA than you don't qualify.
Completely wrong.

Income earned while not physically living in Canada, does not count. US income can only count if you're living in Canada while it's earned (so crossing the border to go to work in US every day, working remotely for US company, earning US investment income, etc). This is clearly stated in the manuals: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf
5.30. Financial requirements
The financial test is needed to prove that sponsors can support sponsored persons for the period of the undertaking. For more details, see Minimum Necessary Income Requirement: Low-Income Cut-Off levels (LICO), section 5.32, Exception to Minimum Necessary Income Requirement, section 5.33 and Low Income Cut-Off and Quebec Income Scale, Appendix F.

Financial resources:
• may include the resources of the sponsor’s spouse or common-law partner if the sponsor’s financial resources are inadequate and the sponsor’s spouse or common-law partner declares their resources as income on their Canadian tax return and they co-sign the undertaking.
• cannot include pooled resources from other relatives to meet the income test.

Financial resources must originate from Canadian sources for the following reasons:
• employment income abroad is not a reliable indicator of future or stable employment in Canada.
• CPC staff cannot easily verify if foreign income can be transferred to Canada.
• converting foreign income into Canadian dollars is resource-intensive.
• in cases of default, collection and litigation, it is easier to recover income from Canadian sources.
For more information, see: Exceptions to the Canadian income rule, section 5.31.

5.31. Exceptions to Canadian income rule
The exceptions to the Canadian income rule are as follows:
• sponsors who commute from Canada to work in the U.S.A. can use their U.S. employment income provided it is declared as income on their Canadian income tax return;
• sponsors living in Canada who declare income from foreign sources on their Canadian tax returns, can use this foreign income to meet the financial requirements for sponsorship.

Discretionary approval of financial requirements is not possible.

Sounds like a very crappy lawyer.
WHAT "Completely Wrong"?? I think you took me wrong.!!
I said if the World income is not declared to CRA than you don't qualify. Well do you know if he was commuting to US, working remotely, earning US investment, sorry I don't know either. if thats the case then he might be eligible. But no where I assumed that is the case.

What only matter is what income you have on your NOA from CRA for 2014-2016. isn't that right Rob_TO ??

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
What only matter is what income you have on your NOA from CRA for 2014-2016. isn't that right Rob_TO ??
No that is not what only matters. Canadians living outside Canada can still submit CRA tax returns. However if the income was not earned while physically living in Canada, that income will not count regardless if it was in your NOA or not.

mufarina

Sep 12, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-08-2012
How do you suppose to know your first sentence? Especially those who were minors before the come Canada, most of them wouldn't.
Why would a minor coming to CA would sponsor their own parents?how did they came?by themselves?minors?
He is saying that most of us emigrated to CA and worked before coming here. Skilled worker program needs experience, so you worked somewhere before applying.

Reactions: Cocoa

YULIA-2016

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2015
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
Jan.2016
AOR Received.
June 2016
File Transfer...
Jan.2017
Med's Request
First June 06-2017 from Warsaw ; Second 26 July 2018 from London
Med's Done....
Sep 27 2018
Passport Req..
DM Sep 29 2018, PPR Oct 01 2018
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 10 2018
Lol thanks

OK so I can apply then? I have NOA for 2016 and 2015. Husband has NOA for 2014 2015 2016. Husbands income is above LICO individually for all three years.?

you cant apply since you don't have 3 last NOA as a sponsor /or you can move to Quebec but no time anymore/, co-signer just raise LICO and that's it. You have to try next year ,sorry...

spy118

Feb 15, 2017
you cant apply since you don't have 3 last NOA as a sponsor /or you can move to Quebec but no time anymore/, co-signer just raise LICO and that's it. You have to try next year ,sorry...
That's what I thought as well but Rob_To mentioned above that one can apply even if the sponsor has no income at all and the co signer could provide NOA for the last 3 years meeting LICO. Based on that she should be eligible.

Well Wisher

May 23, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2012
Nomination.....
December 2012
AOR Received.
27-02-2013
File Transfer...
27-02-2013
Med's Request
03-03-2013
Med's Done....
13-03-2013
Passport Req..
03-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
LANDED..........
20-07-2013
Lol thanks

Yes. you can apply.
You would be the primary sponsor and your husband will be co signer. Total income of both (you and ur husband) in last 3 NOA's is what makes you qualify.

YULIA-2016

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2015
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
Jan.2016
AOR Received.
June 2016
File Transfer...
Jan.2017
Med's Request
First June 06-2017 from Warsaw ; Second 26 July 2018 from London
Med's Done....
Sep 27 2018
Passport Req..
DM Sep 29 2018, PPR Oct 01 2018
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 10 2018
you cant apply since you don't have 3 last NOA as a sponsor, co-signer just raise LICO and that's it. You have to try next year ,sorry...
Yes. you can apply.
You would be the primary sponsor and your husband will be co signer. Total income of both (you and ur husband) in last 3 NOA's is what makes you qualify.
make sense to send package now, agreed ,since already chosen :)
even interesting !