+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parental Sponsorship - Previous application

mpanchal

Nov 5, 2017
Hi All,

Would be grateful if I can get some guidance here.

I was invited to apply to sponsor my parents. In the Application to Sponsor form, there is a question "Have you submitted a previous application in respect of which a final decision has not been made for the person being sponsored and their family members?"

I had applied for a super visa for my parents and then midway through its processing, this invitation for Sponsoring came through. I would rather get the sponsorship done. However, the super visa application is still under processing. Does this mean I answer "Yes" to the above question? If I do, I will not be eligible to sponsor. Is there a way I can withdraw my super visa application?

mpanchal

Nov 5, 2017
I might have answered my own question:

Multiple applications
A sponsor who has filed a sponsorship application on behalf of a foreign national cannot submit another sponsorship application on behalf of the same person if a final decision has not been made on the application for permanent residence submitted with the first sponsorship [R10(5)]. This also applies where a final decision on an appeal has not been made by the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) on an application for permanent residence that had been refused.

A sponsor is allowed to submit more than one sponsorship application at the same time for different family class relatives, provided that, where applicable, minimum necessary income (MNI) requirements are met for the total number of persons involved. See Financial requirements for more information.

source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-assessing-sponsor.html#bars

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I might have answered my own question:

Multiple applications
A sponsor who has filed a sponsorship application
I don't know that you have answered the question - I don't know but I don't see confirmation in the super visa application package that this constitutes sponsorship. The child in the super visa does promise through a letter of financial support, but there does not seem to be a sponsorship agreement.

I honestly don't know - I would read these as distinct and different things but it's not something that's open to debate, it needs a factual response. I'd keep looking to be sure.

Reactions: mpanchal

mpanchal

Nov 5, 2017
Thank you for the reply, @armoured. Any pointers on where to look for more information? As far as I know there is no direct way to contact IRCC for a clarification.

I don't know that you have answered the question - I don't know but I don't see confirmation in the super visa application package that this constitutes sponsorship. The child in the super visa does promise through a letter of financial support, but there does not seem to be a sponsorship agreement.

I honestly don't know - I would read these as distinct and different things but it's not something that's open to debate, it needs a factual response. I'd keep looking to be sure.

Aman.ghafar

Star Member
Sep 14, 2012
Did you get the answer to your question? I am having the same question. I am not sure if the answer should be yes or no.
Please advise

mpanchal

Nov 5, 2017
Hi Aman - I understand from the wording I provided above to mean that there should not be another sponsor ship application open for the same principal applicant. A super visa application is a type of resident visa and as such I don't think it mean sponsorship - although you have to provide financial support.

With that understanding, I have applied for the sponsorship application with a "NO" to the question you have indicated.

Reactions: armoured

Aman.ghafar

Star Member
Sep 14, 2012
Hi Aman - I understand from the wording I provided above to mean that there should not be another sponsor ship application open for the same principal applicant. A super visa application is a type of resident visa and as such I don't think it mean sponsorship - although you have to provide financial support.

With that understanding, I have applied for the sponsorship application with a "NO" to the question you have indicated.
Thank you for your response. I guess I am gonna click No to that question.

Reactions: armoured

mmursali

Oct 3, 2017
Hi, I am sponsoring my parents. Me, my wife and my only son are Canadian Citizen. I have a question regarding IMM 5406 online (not the paper one) form. I initially thought I will have to provide information for my parents, their children's (i.e us) and their siblings and this this is what the instruction says for the paper form. However, when looking at the online portal, it says the following:

"
Additional family information
What is this form for?
We need information about your family:

• Parents
  • Children
  • Spouse
  • Siblings
You don’t need to complete this entire form in one sitting. To save your progress on this form, click “Save and continue.” You can return to this form later by clicking “View my applications” on the homepage.
Before you get started
You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Enter all names in English and in your native language (for example, Arabic, Cyrillic, Chinese, Korean or Japanese script or Chinese commercial/telegraphic code). If a section does not apply, write “Not Applicable."
Before you start, read the instruction guide."
-------------------------------------
Here is my question:

You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Does this mean I as a Canadian citizen do not need to provide my information on this form?

Anyone please help!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi, I am sponsoring my parents. Me, my wife and my only son are Canadian Citizen. I have a question regarding IMM 5406 online (not the paper one) form. I initially thought I will have to provide information for my parents, their children's (i.e us) and their siblings and this this is what the instruction says for the paper form. However, when looking at the online portal, it says the following:

"
Additional family information
What is this form for?
We need information about your family:

• Parents
  • Children
  • Spouse
  • Siblings
You don’t need to complete this entire form in one sitting. To save your progress on this form, click “Save and continue.” You can return to this form later by clicking “View my applications” on the homepage.
Before you get started
You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Enter all names in English and in your native language (for example, Arabic, Cyrillic, Chinese, Korean or Japanese script or Chinese commercial/telegraphic code). If a section does not apply, write “Not Applicable."
Before you start, read the instruction guide."
-------------------------------------
Here is my question:

You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Does this mean I as a Canadian citizen do not need to provide my information on this form?

Anyone please help!
You, as a Canadian citizen, do not need to fill in an IMM 5406 form with information about your Additional family information.
PA and PA's spouse (your parents) each needs an IMM 5406 form filled with whatever information is reqired in the form.
  • Parents
  • Children
  • Spouse
  • Siblings
BTW your post has nothing to do with previous application... mmmmm