+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parental sponsorship 2019: listing 22+ years old in IMM 0008 as dependants??

Ottawan83

Aug 31, 2019
Hi all:

I recently received an email from CIC saying that my parental sponsorship application for 2019 was incomplete and I have 30 days to reply. Specifically, they mentioned the followings:
IMM 0008: The Principal Applicant and all applicable dependents (including your
spouse), whether accompanying or not, must be listed on the IMM0008. One or more of
your dependents is not listed on the IMM0008. Please provide a newly completed IMM0008 listing the Principal Applicant and all dependents (including your spouse), whether accompanying or not. If you require additional space to declare dependents please use the IMM0008DEP (version 10-2018) form. You must submit the most recent version of this form (06-2019).​

I understand now that I must include spouse information in this section so probably that is why I got the letter. However, shall I also include sons and daughters who are older than 22 years old and they are married and financially independents, i.e., shall I include those who are not qualified as dependents?

Logic and common sense say that I should not because they are not defined as dependents according to CIC, but then there is a very confusing 2 sentences in the form that mentions two opposite things:
You must provide the following details about each of your family members, whether they will be accompanying you to Canada or not. You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, ..​

So in the above sentences "each of your family members" contradicts with "dependent children" which confuses me.

CIC does not answer the phone, so I could not get a clear answer.

I will appreciate your help.
Regards,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all:

I recently received an email from CIC saying that my parental sponsorship application for 2019 was incomplete and I have 30 days to reply. Specifically, they mentioned the followings:
IMM 0008: The Principal Applicant and all applicable dependents (including your
spouse), whether accompanying or not, must be listed on the IMM0008. One or more of
your dependents is not listed on the IMM0008. Please provide a newly completed IMM0008 listing the Principal Applicant and all dependents (including your spouse), whether accompanying or not. If you require additional space to declare dependents please use the IMM0008DEP (version 10-2018) form. You must submit the most recent version of this form (06-2019).​

I understand now that I must include spouse information in this section so probably that is why I got the letter. However, shall I also include sons and daughters who are older than 22 years old and they are married and financially independents, i.e., shall I include those who are not qualified as dependents?

Logic and common sense say that I should not because they are not defined as dependents according to CIC, but then there is a very confusing 2 sentences in the form that mentions two opposite things:
You must provide the following details about each of your family members, whether they will be accompanying you to Canada or not. You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, ..​

So in the above sentences "each of your family members" contradicts with "dependent children" which confuses me.

CIC does not answer the phone, so I could not get a clear answer.

I will appreciate your help.
Regards,
They aren't dependent, so no, they are not listed on IMM0008.

Reactions: Ottawan83

Ottawan83

Aug 31, 2019
I submitted the form yesterday with including only the spouse. I also included an explanation that the mother has sins and daughters over 22 years old so they are not dependents and not included in the form. I hope it will fly without issue.