+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent sponsorship and LICO amount

DesiMike

Star Member
Mar 29, 2009
Hello,
I got a question. I have sponsored my parents in 2007.
At the time of application LICO (Low Income Cut-off) amount for 6 persons was $49,389 , But current LICO for 6 persons is $52,838.
If CIC asks me to prove that if I still meet the LICO requirements. Which one of the above amounts will be used for assessment? It would be great if you could point me to some CIC document...Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think they will use the new amount because prices have gone up and if you are to support your parents, you can not do it today on prices from 2007. If your spouse co-signs, you can use their income too.

DesiMike

Star Member
Mar 29, 2009
Logically speaking what you are saying is correct....but I am asking from CIC regulation stand point.
For example, at the time of application age is lock-in for dependents under the age of 22yr, even
thought if dependents become over the age of 22yr during the processing.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I didn't find anything concrete. You can look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf yourself. Only in section 5.36 on page 23 does it say that they should use the new LICO which could mean that they will not use the new LICO if they are re-assessing you for other reasons than listed in 5.36.

In 5.34 it says that income can only be re-assessed downward, not upward so that could be another reason why they would keep using the old LICO. It would not be fair to you if you meet the LICO when you apply and meet the new LICO when you are re-assessed that you would still be refused because your re-assessment can not be upwards. Then again, immigration sometimes applies rules that are not exactly fair.