+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent Asylum Claimant: Study permit issue

rafi990

Aug 24, 2018
Dear Members,

My father is a refugee claimant in Canada, currently waiting for hearing.

However, I have got a funded offer from UBC for a MAsc program. I am 22 years old. I am worried about the consequences of my father's refugee claim in my application for study permit.

Will my study permit be rejected?

I look after my mother and siblings here in country and have sufficient assets as country tie. Only my father is there. I need minimum financial support since I have scholarship. Can you please shed some light on my case.

Is there any possibility?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear Members,

My father is a refugee claimant in Canada, currently waiting for hearing.

However, I have got a funded offer from UBC for a MAsc program. I am 22 years old. I am worried about the consequences of my father's refugee claim in my application for study permit.

Will my study permit be rejected?

I look after my mother and siblings here in country and have sufficient assets as country tie. Only my father is there. I need minimum financial support since I have scholarship. Can you please shed some light on my case.

Is there any possibility?
Yes - unfortunately there's a very high possibility your study permit will be refused based on your father's refugee claim in Canada. However you can certainly try.

rafi990

Aug 24, 2018
Yes - unfortunately there's a very high possibility your study permit will be refused based on your father's refugee claim in Canada. However you can certainly try.
Thank you for the reply. But since I am an adult, would I not be considered as an individual?

On what basis might they reject me? How can I write my study plan or furnish my case to make it stronger. Because I have genuine intentions of studying.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the reply. But since I am an adult, would I not be considered as an individual?

On what basis might they reject me? How can I write my study plan or furnish my case to make it stronger. Because I have genuine intentions of studying.
Yes - you are an adult and independent. However since you have a family member who has claimed asylum, this may impact your visa and may make IRCC concerned you have similar plans. Rejection would be based on purpose of visit / lack of ties to the home country.

To make your case strong, you will want to demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country and have plans on remaining in Canada long term. It also help that you are taking a Masters in Canada.

rafi990

Aug 24, 2018
Yes - you are an adult and independent. However since you have a family member who has claimed asylum, this may impact your visa and may make IRCC concerned you have similar plans. Rejection would be based on purpose of visit / lack of ties to the home country.

To make your case strong, you will want to demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country and have plans on remaining in Canada long term. It also help that you are taking a Masters in Canada.
'have plans on remaining in Canada long term' - - sorry have plans to remain in Canada or to come back to my country?

I must mention that my current job, research, and over all profile matches well with my program. I take care of my family and also contribute financially. In fact after the program, I have high chances of getting rehired in my current workplace in a better position.

Does these help? Is there any light for me?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
'have plans on remaining in Canada long term' - - sorry have plans to remain in Canada or to come back to my country?

I must mention that my current job, research, and over all profile matches well with my program. I take care of my family and also contribute financially. In fact after the program, I have high chances of getting rehired in my current workplace in a better position.

Does these help? Is there any light for me?
Sorry for the typo - you must show strong ties to your home country and demonstrate you have NO plans on remaining in Canada long term.

Recommend you dedicate time to reading through threads in the International Students forum to see details behind refusal reasons, examples of statement of purpose letters, etc.

Reactions: rafi990

rafi990

Aug 24, 2018
Sorry for the typo - you must show strong ties to your home country and demonstrate you have NO plans on remaining in Canada long term.

Recommend you dedicate time to reading through threads in the International Students forum to see details behind refusal reasons, examples of statement of purpose letters, etc.

Just being curious, would it help if my father withdrew his asylum application and came back?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Just being curious, would it help if my father withdrew his asylum application and came back?
That is unlikely to help. There is a record of the intent.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You must declare your whole family in your application or that would be misrepresenting which could cause even bigger problems. Unfortunately your father's timing will likely cause you big difficulties which is unfortunate.