+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent Accompanying International Student (minor)

Cham_Raf

May 21, 2018
Not clear which country you are from but unless you are from a visa exempt country you will need to apply for a visitor visa (TRV) and to work remotely on such a visa or as a visa exempt it is important that the company has no Canadian clients that you would ever interact with whilst on a visit. Your son will need to apply for a study permit, not clear whether you already have this being processed other than your comment about a custodian.

There is no guarantee of course that when you arrive in Canada that you would be issued with an initial authorised stay greater than 6 months so keep that in mind that you may need to apply to extend your stay once in Canada.
I do understand that I need a visitor visa and as for my work, it's limited to online review of technical proposals which I can do in my residence, so no Canadian clients and no involvement with the Canadian market. My son is applying for a study visa, i'm just waiting for address details to complete the application form.
I'm hoping to be granted a visit visa that covers the duration of the school year (Sep-June). if not then I will have to come back and apply again for another visit visa to support my son in his final exams.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given that you are the breadwinner and want to come to Canada I forsee some challenges. In general Canada does not want parents accompanying students to work in Canada. I do understand that you are working remotely and don't require a visa but that is using a loophole so you will have to see CIC's response. It sounds like you do have a custodian in place so assume that he may get approved for the study permit to stay with the custodian.

Cham_Raf

May 21, 2018
I want to give it a try and see if they accept my request to be beside my son during his study term. I'm financially stable and i'm employed by a good firm. I am not after finding a job in Canada.
Yes, I do have a Canadian custodian and a Homestay for my son. I just want to support him in his studies and ensure everything is fine. Wish me luck!

Reactions: Ahamira

shibaak

Feb 13, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have a question. I want to apply for my daughter to come to study in Canada. I have the school admission, but I cannot understand very well what I should do for study permit. I explain the situation and I would appreciate if someone can help me.

1. My daughter is 14 and she has an admission letter from a high school.
2. My husband is our financial supporter and he has enough funds to show he can support us. He will stay in our country and I want to accompany my daughter.

Now I have a few questions.
1. I want to accompany my child for the whole duration of her study. Can I do that or hey would not give me a visa to accompany her?
2. CIC website says that minors should either have a custodian or be accompanied by a parent. In this case, do I have to get a custodian for my daughter or can I just submit a visa for myself? (I do not understand why everyone talks about custodians if I can accompany their child.)
3. Do we need to submit a letter to show the purpose of her studying in Canada? something like an SOP?

I appreciate if you have any specific information that you could give me to be able to apply for my child.

Thank you.

shibaak

Feb 13, 2015
I do understand that I need a visitor visa and as for my work, it's limited to online review of technical proposals which I can do in my residence, so no Canadian clients and no involvement with the Canadian market. My son is applying for a study visa, i'm just waiting for address details to complete the application form.
I'm hoping to be granted a visit visa that covers the duration of the school year (Sep-June). if not then I will have to come back and apply again for another visit visa to support my son in his final exams.
Hi Cham,
Did you apply for your son and yourself? Was it successful? I appreciate if you could give me some information on the process and the documents, etc.

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have a question. I want to apply for my daughter to come to study in Canada. I have the school admission, but I cannot understand very well what I should do for study permit. I explain the situation and I would appreciate if someone can help me.

2. My husband is our financial supporter and he has enough funds to show he can support us. He will stay in our country and I want to accompany my daughter.

1. I want to accompany my child for the whole duration of her study. Can I do that or hey would not give me a visa to accompany her?
2. CIC website says that minors should either have a custodian or be accompanied by a parent. In this case, do I have to get a custodian for my daughter or can I just submit a visa for myself? (I do not understand why everyone talks about custodians if I can accompany their child.)
3. Do we need to submit a letter to show the purpose of her studying in Canada? something like an SOP?

I appreciate if you have any specific information that you could give me to be able to apply for my child.

Thank you.
Is this your account? It doesn't seem to match with the profile. It will likely depend on how much money you have in your savings. CIC will want to see significantly more savings for 2 people plus tuition. If this is your son's account he could be the guardian. Also if you plan on spending most of the year for many years in Canada you are no longer really a visitor.

Reactions: Bryanna

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

Thank you.
There is no visa available that allows you to accompany your daughter. That's why there is a requirement to find a custodian for your daughter.

You'll need to apply for a regular visitor visa if you want to try to come with your daughter to Canada. This will allow you to visit Canada temporarily but not live here while your daughter is studying. You will need to apply to extend your visit in Canada to continue staying and sooner or later IRCC may tell you that you need to go home.

Reactions: shibaak and Bryanna

shibaak

Feb 13, 2015
Is this your account? It doesn't seem to match with the profile. It will likely depend on how much money you have in your savings. CIC will want to see significantly more savings for 2 people plus tuition. If this is your son's account he could be the guardian. Also if you plan on spending most of the year for many years in Canada you are no longer really a visitor.
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

this account is for one of my friends. I am using their account to get information.
We have enough money. Something around 200K in my husband's savings account. he also has a good business that he runs and we can provide documentation to show that.

I apologize, but I do not understand what you mean by your comment. Do you mean I have to get a custodian for my child? or can I just accompany my daughter? because CIC says that a minor can be accompanied by a parent. In such a case, if i want to accompany her, do we still need to have a custodian? or can we just apply for me as an accompaniment and do not get a custodian?

Ii appreciate if you could explain this a bit more clearly. I am really desperate, and I cannot find the relevant information.

shibaak

Feb 13, 2015
There is no visa available that allows you to accompany your daughter. That's why there is a requirement to find a custodian for your daughter.

You'll need to apply for a regular visitor visa if you want to try to come with your daughter to Canada. This will allow you to visit Canada temporarily but not live here while your daughter is studying. You will need to apply to extend your visit in Canada to continue staying and sooner or later IRCC may tell you that you need to go home.
Thank you very much for the information. that is so helpful.
In this case, I have to get a custodian. What if the custodian does not have enough money to support her? I have a friend who is studying in canada and she can be a custodian, but she does not have enough money to support her. I can definitely give all the money to her, but doesn't CIC need to know that the custodian can support the child financially?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much for the information. that is so helpful.
In this case, I have to get a custodian. What if the custodian does not have enough money to support her? I have a friend who is studying in canada and she can be a custodian, but she does not have enough money to support her. I can definitely give all the money to her, but doesn't CIC need to know that the custodian can support the child financially?
The custodian isn't a financial sponsor. These are two different things.

Reactions: shibaak

shibaak

Feb 13, 2015
The custodian isn't a financial sponsor. These are two different things.
Thank you very much.

So, now I know that I should apply for her and get a custodian.
When I apply for her, can I also apply for a visitor visa for myself in the same application to accompany her at least for the first 6 months?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much.

So, now I know that I should apply for her and get a custodian.
When I apply for her, can I also apply for a visitor visa for myself in the same application to accompany her at least for the first 6 months?
I would apply separately. If you apply together, IRCC may guess your intentions.

shibaak

Feb 13, 2015
I would apply separately. If you apply together, IRCC may guess your intentions.
In that case, can I apply for her, and after she gets hers, but before she goes, I apply for my visitor permit? Will they give me a visa if she is not there yet?

Another question: If I get a custodian, can I get her a homestay? or when she has a custodian, she should stay with the custodian?