+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent Accompanying International Student (minor)

palm_sand

Nov 17, 2017
Hi,

I am currently in Canada accompanying my child who is an International student at a secondary school in BC. I have been given a visitor record to accompany her during the entire period of her studies in the current academic year (approx. 10 months) - for the same period as the child's study permit. She has 3 more years to finish high school and as a result, she has to keep renewing her study permit each year, and I will have to keep renewing my visitor record accordingly for the same time period. Complete funding for us is done by my husband who lives outside of Canada.

However, I would like to be able to work at least part-time when my child is in school to keep myself occupied and be productive during this long period of time I have to be here and was wondering if I am eligible to apply for an 'open work permit' under these circumstances?

Appreciate your advice.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but for you to get a work permit short of applying through an immigration program you would need to get an employer to sponsor an LMIA application which even for a full time position many employers are reluctant to do let alone for a part time position.

It seems you were very fortunate to get a stay as a visitor for 10 months given having a minor attending school on a study permit usually gives parents no rights to accompany them just because the minor has a permit. Unlike a spouse accompanying a student on a study permit who can apply for an open work permit there is no provision at all for a parent to accompany a minor other than as a visitor with no work rights, assuming they qualify as a visitor in the first instance.

Having achieved this once then hopefully you realise there is no guarantee you will be successful the next time to extend your stay as a visitor simply off the back of your minor childs study permit.

Minors on study permits are generally only supported through a guardian being assigned who is a resident in Canada and not with a parent justifying their presence in the country due to the study permit of the minor.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78

palm_sand

Nov 17, 2017
Others can comment as well but for you to get a work permit short of applying through an immigration program you would need to get an employer to sponsor an LMIA application which even for a full time position many employers are reluctant to do let alone for a part time position.

It seems you were very fortunate to get a stay as a visitor for 10 months given having a minor attending school on a study permit usually gives parents no rights to accompany them just because the minor has a permit. Unlike a spouse accompanying a student on a study permit who can apply for an open work permit there is no provision at all for a parent to accompany a minor other than as a visitor with no work rights, assuming they qualify as a visitor in the first instance.

Having achieved this once then hopefully you realise there is no guarantee you will be successful the next time to extend your stay as a visitor simply off the back of your minor childs study permit.

Minors on study permits are generally only supported through a guardian being assigned who is a resident in Canada and not with a parent justifying their presence in the country due to the study permit of the minor.
Thank you for your responses. I'm not the only accompanying parent in Canada under these circumstances. Yes, we were fortunate to be given permission to stay longer as a visitor accompanying our minor children because we have no intensions of living here permanently on an international student's study permit. The law clearly says a minor International student has to be accompanied by a parent/guardian or should be on home-stay. So there's clearly a choice and we chose to accompany our kids. Don't forget that these students also have custodians in Canada who are Citizens or Canadian PRs. More over, we have been able to prove that we have sufficient funds to support ourselves during our temporary stay in Canada and are being supported by our spouses financially from outside of Canada. Also, all our papers including my visitor visa application states the reason for my visit to Canada is to be with my child temporarily. So it is very clear to the immigration officer. We go back home most holidays and especially in the Summer. So I am not here to stay permanently! I just need to find a legitimate way to work for a few hours while the child is in school and that's all. As for the TRV for the parent it's valid for a longer period than a year. Yes, I've heard about the LMIA too.

Reactions: Twinkletwin

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your responses. I'm not the only accompanying parent in Canada under these circumstances. Yes, we were fortunate to be given permission to stay longer as a visitor accompanying our minor children because we have no intensions of living here permanently on an international student's study permit. The law clearly says a minor International student has to be accompanied by a parent/guardian or should be on home-stay. So there's clearly a choice and we chose to accompany our kids. Don't forget that these students also have custodians in Canada who are Citizens or Canadian PRs. More over, we have been able to prove that we have sufficient funds to support ourselves during our temporary stay in Canada and are being supported by our spouses financially from outside of Canada. Also, all our papers including my visitor visa application states the reason for my visit to Canada is to be with my child temporarily. So it is very clear to the immigration officer. We go back home most holidays and especially in the Summer. So I am not here to stay permanently! I just need to find a legitimate way to work for a few hours while the child is in school and that's all. As for the TRV for the parent it's valid for a longer period than a year. Yes, I've heard about the LMIA too.
You can always volunteer in the community.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - they are not allowed to participate in craft fairs. That's working.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To summarize:

- You do not qualify for an open work permit.
- You cannot engaged in any paid or otherwise compensated work while in Canada as a visitor
- In order to work, you need a job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer must obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer

Pri_yash

Jan 2, 2018
Hi,

I am currently in Canada accompanying my child who is an International student at a secondary school in BC. I have been given a visitor record to accompany her during the entire period of her studies in the current academic year (approx. 10 months) - for the same period as the child's study permit. She has 3 more years to finish high school and as a result, she has to keep renewing her study permit each year, and I will have to keep renewing my visitor record accordingly for the same time period. Complete funding for us is done by my husband who lives outside of Canada.

However, I would like to be able to work at least part-time when my child is in school to keep myself occupied and be productive during this long period of time I have to be here and was wondering if I am eligible to apply for an 'open work permit' under these circumstances?

Appreciate your advice.
Hi Palm_sand,
Your post has given me good information. I am in process of applying the study permit for my kids.
Could you please guide me step by step for this process and give me the detailed information like what all documents, information is required to get the study permit of kids?
Also how did you received your visitor visa in this case?
Almost how much CAD dollars we need to show in financial support.

your help is very much appreciated.

Wish you very good new year ahead.

Thanks.

palm_sand

Nov 17, 2017
Hi Palm_sand,
Your post has given me good information. I am in process of applying the study permit for my kids.
Could you please guide me step by step for this process and give me the detailed information like what all documents, information is required to get the study permit of kids?
Also how did you received your visitor visa in this case?
Almost how much CAD dollars we need to show in financial support.

your help is very much appreciated.

Wish you very good new year ahead.

Thanks.
Hi,

Kindly refer to the Canadian Immigration website: www. canada.ca for guidance. That's what I did. Each case is different and therefore sorry I cannot be of further help at this moment.

All the best!

Cham_Raf

May 21, 2018
Hi,
My minor son was accepted by a Canadian school for this fall term starting Sep 5. I, as his father, am planning to accompany my son for the term of his study. I have the necessary funds to sustain him and myself (ca $175k) and I would be happy if i'm granted a visitor visa for 10 months. I also arranged for a Canadian custodian.
Does anyone think that my visitor visa would be revoked?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
My minor son was accepted by a Canadian school for this fall term starting Sep 5. I, as his father, am planning to accompany my son for the term of his study. I have the necessary funds to sustain him and myself (ca $175k) and I would be happy if i'm granted a visitor visa for 10 months. I also arranged for a Canadian custodian.
Does anyone think that my visitor visa would be revoked?
Do you have a current trv? Does your son have a student visa and what grade is he in? Are you the primary breadwinner?

Cham_Raf

May 21, 2018
Do you have a current trv? Does your son have a student visa and what grade is he in? Are you the primary breadwinner?
Hi,
No, I do not have a Temp Res Visa, My son got accepted into a school and I received the formal letter of acceptance from NSISP for attending Grade 11. I am the primary breadwinner and I have over $300,000 in my savings account and a letter from my company that I can work remotely.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi,
No, I do not have a Temp Res Visa, My son got accepted into a school and I received the formal letter of acceptance from NSISP for attending Grade 11. I am the primary breadwinner and I have over $300,000 in my savings account and a letter from my company that I can work remotely.
Not clear which country you are from but unless you are from a visa exempt country you will need to apply for a visitor visa (TRV) and to work remotely on such a visa or as a visa exempt it is important that the company has no Canadian clients that you would ever interact with whilst on a visit. Your son will need to apply for a study permit, not clear whether you already have this being processed other than your comment about a custodian.

There is no guarantee of course that when you arrive in Canada that you would be issued with an initial authorised stay greater than 6 months so keep that in mind that you may need to apply to extend your stay once in Canada.