+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paper-delivered vs Computer-delivered IELTS test in India

sgrv

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Dude congrats for scoring CLB10 !!!
You should start arranging documents now:)
Hey, thanks! I was able to get this result yesterday from my earlier paper based test, and my wife also got the extra two points I mentioned. I'm just waiting for the computer based one in case I do well here too and hoping IDP displays the TRF number. I doubt the previous test report (BC) will reach me before the draw.

I hope you get the results you want tomorrow! All the best!

shawn18

Star Member
Jun 28, 2018
Hyderabad, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-Nov-2018
AOR Received.
29-Nov-2018
IELTS Request
Nov-2018
Med's Done....
29-Nov-2018
Passport Req..
06-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
17-Jun-2019
LANDED..........
07-Sep-2019
Result from my computer delivered test on the 9th October:

R 9 L 9 S 8 W 8
Congratulations!!

Have you been able to view your results on IDPEssentials result site with TRF number?

My result isn't displayed there although, I'm able to view it in my IDP login area.

sgrv

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Congratulations!!

Have you been able to view your results on IDPEssentials result site with TRF number?

My result isn't displayed there although, I'm able to view it in my IDP login area.

Thanks!

Nope, my results are not on the IDP IELTS Essentials site. It's on the IDP India site, but without the TRF number.

Rajanila

Jan 19, 2018
Category........
FSW
Hi, Those who wrote the exam in computer based can share about the experience in writing, especially does it has a spell error.
I hope not and it is similar to notepad except some highlighter options.
If you can share the experience in the writing via computerized exam,will be much helpful because when i thought to move from paper based exam to computerized, the first issue during practice is the spell error. Although I know the right spelling, when i was tying, it becomes incorrect.

Let know if any one share the similar experience, after practicing in notepad, I thought to go back to paper-format instead of computerized for this reason.

Reactions: paddukutti

prashanfernando

Star Member
Apr 21, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-12-2018
AOR Received.
18-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-11-2018
Passport Req..
18-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2019
LANDED..........
01-09-2019
Took a second attempt at IDP's Computer Delivered IELTS (18/10/2018) and managed to secure a CLB9 at last:
05/10/2018: L-6.5, W-7.5, R-7.5, S-7
18/10/2018: L-8, W-7, R-8, S-8

Thanks a lot to everyone with the valuable inputs and feedback. Practice and concentration is the key and never give up.

Just a few small tips to those attempting their computer delivered IELTS in the future:

Listening: Be fully aware of the question types and try practicing as many online listening sections possible especially the ones which require typing while listening, make use of the breaks to highlight keywords in the next sections. At the start of the listening test you get nearly a minute or two to skim sections and underline necessary keywords. Make use of the 2 minutes final check to correct any spelling mistakes etc..

Writing: This is definitely more convenient as compared to the written based. However a good approach is to take at least 5-10 minutes to plan each task so that you structure the essay accordingly. The word counter is also helpful. A poorly planned essay can cost you in task 2 which generally places more weight on the score. I suggest to go through "Baron's guide to writing in IELTS". Follow the practice essays and you should have no problem scoring a solid 7 on writing. Try typing essays to see if you can make the given time. Writing is an advantage to users who have a decent typing pace.

Reading: Overall this is easy. Just pay more attention to T/F/NG and YES/NO/NOT GIVEN questions. Practicing academic reading tests helps to boost confidence in the general training exam. If you can score 30-32/40 in academic reading, you will have no doubt scoring 34-35 in general training reading. This was my strategy although I admit the academic reading is not as easy as the general training one.

Speaking: This is still the conventional way, so it is straightforward. Feel comfortable and use appropriate vocabulary to boost your score. The answers need not to be logical or correct, so do not think there is a such a thing as a "wrong answer". Once again practice makes perfect.

Hope this helps.

Vive

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Took a second attempt at IDP's Computer Delivered IELTS (18/10/2018) and managed to secure a CLB9 at last:
05/10/2018: L-6.5, W-7.5, R-7.5, S-7
18/10/2018: L-8, W-7, R-8, S-8

Thanks a lot to everyone with the valuable inputs and feedback. Practice and concentration is the key and never give up.

Just a few small tips to those attempting their computer delivered IELTS in the future:

Listening: Be fully aware of the question types and try practicing as many online listening sections possible especially the ones which require typing while listening, make use of the breaks to highlight keywords in the next sections. At the start of the listening test you get nearly a minute or two to skim sections and underline necessary keywords. Make use of the 2 minutes final check to correct any spelling mistakes etc..

Writing: This is definitely more convenient as compared to the written based. However a good approach is to take at least 5-10 minutes to plan each task so that you structure the essay accordingly. The word counter is also helpful. A poorly planned essay can cost you in task 2 which generally places more weight on the score. I suggest to go through "Baron's guide to writing in IELTS". Follow the practice essays and you should have no problem scoring a solid 7 on writing. Try typing essays to see if you can make the given time. Writing is an advantage to users who have a decent typing pace.

Reading: Overall this is easy. Just pay more attention to T/F/NG and YES/NO/NOT GIVEN questions. Practicing academic reading tests helps to boost confidence in the general training exam. If you can score 30-32/40 in academic reading, you will have no doubt scoring 34-35 in general training reading. This was my strategy although I admit the academic reading is not as easy as the general training one.

Speaking: This is still the conventional way, so it is straightforward. Feel comfortable and use appropriate vocabulary to boost your score. The answers need not to be logical or correct, so do not think there is a such a thing as a "wrong answer". Once again practice makes perfect.

Hope this helps.
Hi!! Congrats on your score.. Can u pls help giving more tips for speaking? What actually they expect? i was so fluent, had few uncommon vocabulary and watever they mention in scoring criteria.. but both times they gave me 6.5.. can u pls guide me?

prashanfernando

Star Member
Apr 21, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-12-2018
AOR Received.
18-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-11-2018
Passport Req..
18-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2019
LANDED..........
01-09-2019
Hi!! Congrats on your score.. Can u pls help giving more tips for speaking? What actually they expect? i was so fluent, had few uncommon vocabulary and watever they mention in scoring criteria.. but both times they gave me 6.5.. can u pls guide me?
My advice is to keep speaking naturally using your native accent.
Pay more attention to the third section of the speaking test.
Try not to repeat words and try to use complex sentence structures.
Lesser the pauses the better.
Look at a few sample speaking videos to get an idea on what it takes to get a 7 band.
Grammar and tense is important so be aware of that
Attempt section 2 and 3 well (Cue card task and the extension task)
The first part is very straightforward so make sure that goes well
Be confident and I'm pretty sure you can get a 7 band

I wish you the best of luck!!!

paddukutti

May 10, 2017
My Speaking was on 3rd and LRW on 5th. I was informed about the result via sms on 10th morning and received the result via courier on 11th morning. They take 5-7 days for computer delivered IELTS.
Hi,
Congrats on your results. Do the speaking test is on different dates for CBT? I assumed it will be in same day!
Thanks in advance

prashanfernando

Star Member
Apr 21, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-12-2018
AOR Received.
18-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-11-2018
Passport Req..
18-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2019
LANDED..........
01-09-2019
Hi,
Congrats on your results. Do the speaking test is on different dates for CBT? I assumed it will be in same day!
Thanks in advance
Hi,

Thanks

Well typically if you opt for the CBT you can schedule the speaking test on the same day and it's convenient.
If you don't feel comfortable you may schedule to another day by contacting your test center.
I'd recommend taking all four tests on the same day

paddukutti

May 10, 2017
Hi,

Thanks

Well typically if you opt for the CBT you can schedule the speaking test on the same day and it's convenient.
If you don't feel comfortable you may schedule to another day by contacting your test center.
I'd recommend taking all four tests on the same day
Thank for the reply. Did the writing task has spell check or it's more like notepad?

And how was the speaking? Any difficulties you faced?

prashanfernando

Star Member
Apr 21, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-12-2018
AOR Received.
18-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-11-2018
Passport Req..
18-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2019
LANDED..........
01-09-2019
Thank for the reply. Did the writing task has spell check or it's more like notepad?

And how was the speaking? Any difficulties you faced?
The writing is more like notepad.
There is no spellchecker so it would be best to spare at least 5-7 minutes to check for spelling mistakes and grammar in both tasks.
Naturally you will have this time to check as typing is much faster than writing on a paper.
But do plan both tasks before starting to type. Take at least 6 minutes to plan both tasks

As for the speaking, It is straightforward as most questions are based on day to day activities such as workplace, movies, music, where you live etc
The first section is easy and try not to take long pauses to think of an answer.
Section 2 or the cue card task is a bit challenging (based on the topic) as you need to quickly plan during the one minute on what you are going to say.
Use that one minute to jot down the main points for what you need to answer.
Make sure to answer all the points given in task 2.
Even if you speak in length and fail to answer a given point you may end up scoring a Band 6 as you haven't addressed the task completely, so be aware of that.
Use complex vocabulary appropriately especially in task 2 and task 3

Hope this helps.

soubhat

Jul 23, 2018
Bangalore
Thanks for reminding me. Overall the test went very well.

- Online booking:
The online booking now allows you to choose you speaking test time (when you register). Choose this time wisely, and aim for 1-1.5 between the speaking test and the remaining components (L, R, W) so you can take a little rest before the 3-hour race :)

- Actual Test:
- You will be given an A4 paper (which has you computer login info candidate No. + password) and a pen. You can write some notes on the paper, but they collect it at the end of each section so it's NOT much useful.
- Each section (L/R/W) has its own paper (with login info). And as I said, are collected and disposed at the end of each section. So, for example, you cannot copy advanced words from reading in the hope to use it later in the writing section.
- You can control text size/color/background color.. etc.
- You can control voice level.
- Timer on the top to remind you of the time remaining (very useful & gentle).

1. Listening:
Perhaps this was the least advantageous section in the computer-based IELTS version.
- Although you get your own headphone and can clearly hear the audio, typing while listening can be a bit challenging. But, this totally depends on the individual's comfort level with typing; which is a skill you need to master for the computer-delivered version.
- You're given a paper but honestly, you'll have NO time to transfer answers.
- Between listening section(s), there is the usual 30 seconds to check your answers and 30 seconds to skim the next section. So this time is to check & review your answers, read the next section, not transfer answers whatsoever.
- No 10 minutes at the end, but ~2 minutes at the end of the listening test to review all the sections.
- Don't ever ever write anything on paper on the hope to transfer it later.
- Difficulty level is about the same in both test types.

Tip:
- Practice listening on a computer + type in answers as you listen.

2. Reading:
Reading is so tremendously improved here.
- You can highlight/copy/past word or sentences easily. Very relaxed and laid-back section overall.
- The T/F/NG section you don't need to type anything, just select the letter from a menu.
- "Summary Completion" part of the reading is so much easier and faster! You can copy text or a word (ctrl+c) and paste it in the blank.
- No search function to search a word (Ctrl+F) isn't working; not sure if it's only me but I tried it few times, didn't work.
- Similar difficulty level with the paper-based test.

Tips:
- Aside from practising reading in a computer, make sure to highlight topic sentences (or thesis) of each paragraph (ie. part 3 which has a long passage, you perhaps want to start highlighting words as you read so you don't loss their location).
- you need to sleep extremely well the night before, staring at the screen for 60 mins isn't vision-friendly.

3. Writing:
- Hands down, this is the best experience ever! Easy planning and flexible writing...I can't emphasise more.
- Word count included under the typing text-box - I find this very very useful because you don't rush yourself to erase an entire well-structured sentence - that you perhaps took few minutes to construct, instead the counting on screen encourages you to write precisely from the beginning.
- You can cut/paste/erase "backspace" and undo sentences easily.
- Restructuring a paragraph is much more easier. Sometime you don't get the question or the task being asked from the first blink, you start typing and then notice "hmm, maybe I'm a bit off topic here, let's change the argument to make it sounds stronger by adding few words here and there to make!".

Tips:
- know your essay type or required structure beforehand, this will guide you through writing & save your time.
- Practice typing but also, more importantly, practice using the right IELTS writing material. For example, to know the widely accepted structure of an IELTS "Agree/Disagree" essay type, use published and authentic books instead of online websites.

This is pretty much my experience today, hopefully we get the result within 5-7 business days as promised.

Hope this helps, (bs: I'm a female).

Best of luck :)
Hello..

Thnks a lot for the detailed Info..

Did u get your results?

When you said abt writing ... U mentioned about essay structures. Did u refer any particular tutor? Can u pls share them?